Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary ranges in IT

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

croo wrote: »
    2 books from same guy that contradict each other

Those books seem kinda pointless? Must give them a Google, interesting none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Outsourcing can result in terrible disasters, and it can have incredibly positive results - it's all depends.

"Depends on what?" Well, essentially it depends on how it's approached - who does it, who they hire, what their needs/budget/approach to the whole thing are. Do they need high quality or speed or low cost? Can they provide project managers or do they need to outsource that too? Cultural and language issues. Timezones.

Yes, there's a lot of different issues that can mess up a project, but you can also have great results.

On the flip side, at the moment I'm on the other side of the equation, and doing some freelancing. It was irritating at first because I'm competing with people with hourly rates over ten times lower than mine (sometimes a lot more), but I'm winning projects. I don't mean this as some sort of ego trip, what I'm saying is that it is all about how you approach these things. If you're more expensive, make it worthwhile for the client to pick you over someone cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

People in Ireland charge ten times lower? Or it's all remote work?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

srsly78 wrote: »
    People in Ireland charge ten times lower? Or it's all remote work?

I'm working mostly for US based clients, remotely. They're usually horrified by the hourly rate I quote them.

Even the low end rates from this country translate into us being incredibly expensive in comparison with the US (large metros excluded).

Advertisement