Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible?

Options
  • 17-05-2011 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

Just looking for opinions or advice regarding somthing, I plan on going to the Goethe Institut in June for the enrollments but thought no harm getting some opinions here on boards either.

Bare bones is: Plan on going back to university next year and doing languages (as a mature student). The course I'm interested in offers two languages (DCU ALIS course to be exact) and one language that I'm interested in is German, catch is I need to have an Intermediate level of German before the course commences (I'll point out a bit more of this below)

Background of me: I did German throughout school for my JC & LC (5 years) and at the end achieved a B2 in Ordinary Level. Which was quite good considering I had problems with my German teacher for the first 3 years (bullying etc), my (other) German teacher for the remaining years said I could be well capable of higher grades and a higher level. Since leaving school I haven't touched on or seen German at all really since (This was 6 years ago).

Now the course itself, the Year 1 module outline states " This module sets the level A2-B1 from the Common European Framework of Reference as its minimum exit level ". Since I wasn't all too familar with the European Framework levels, I had asked the German lecturer for the course regarding an equivalent level. She said that having at least Leaving Cert Higher Level C3 in German equivalent before starting the course would suffice.

With this in mind, I had planned on going to study in Goethe Institute for 15 months (From this June to September 2012 when the course starts), taking a refresher course at first and then the remaining months would be extensive courses. Currently right now, even after not seen German in years, I would still retain some basic knowledge of it (post elementary at least) and would be confident in regaining my previous German quickly enough.

What do you guys think? Would going from an (I'm guessing right now) a A1.2 to somewhere equivalent a A2.2 or B1.1/B1.2 (Or at least a Leaving Cert HC3) be possible in 15 months with Goethe?

Apologies for the quite long-winded post :o. I'm kind of fretting about it as I have to make preparations for university in 2012 now regardless of what course I take so finding out as much as I can. I guess I'm also quite nervous about trying to go back into German after so long and probably looking for reassurance or advice on the matter.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say it's a matter of talent and inclination more than anything else.

If the language "speaks" to you (pardon the pun) 15 months immersed in it in Germany should almost render the course afterwards pointless. If it doesn't and you have to learn it by the rules and by rote ...then it might never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

peasant wrote: »
    I'd say it's a matter of talent and inclination more than anything else.

If the language "speaks" to you (pardon the pun) 15 months immersed in it in Germany should almost render the course afterwards pointless. If it doesn't and you have to learn it by the rules and by rote ...then it might never work.

Essentially you think it's a 'try and see' type of thing whether if I pick the language back up again? When you mean't course, did you mean the University course? Also I would be doing the classes in Goethe here in Dublin and not in Germany (although perhaps doing a 2 week super intensive course in Germany may not be a bad idea).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

I think I mentioned it in your other thread but what you should look for in terms of level progression is based on the number of Teaching Units (Unterrichts Einheiten) you attend.

Each sub-block (1.1, 1.2) is from anywhere from 30-50 UEs. If you take a course over a longer time, than you usually get more UEs because it's less intensive and you learn slower than when it's e.g., daily.

So, to get to a competent level for daily speech (B1) you need e.g., around 250-300 UEs. The Intensiv-8 course in germany is enough to start from nothing and pass the Zertificat Deutsch B1 in 8 weeks and is 170 units of instruction - but as you are immersed daily, you can progress as fast. The same thing with weekly or biweekly lessons could take longer, maybe double.

To get to B2 level (completed) is actually almost the same again, because you start to develop much more complex grammar skills than B1 (which is good enough for casual everyday chatting, etc., ). To be "completed" in B2, you would estimated 500-600 UEs to pass the exam.

Thanks for the reply. I just did some calculations based on a rough plan of studying at Goethe here in Dublin for 15 months. Id probably be able to achieve around 210+ teaching units. Possibly more if I did Intensive 6 week courses in the summer of 2012. But ill be studying other subjects as well as thats why I would be doing the extensive course for the main periods. I may also plan (as someone mentioned in the other thread) the super intensive 2 week course in the Goethe Institut in Germany.

I'll be going to the enrollments in June here in Dublin so I should be able to see what the teachers say, just wanted to get a rough idea perhaps here beforehand :). Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

What second language will you be studying and will you be taking it at ab-initio level? You should be able to get well beyond HC3 level in 15 months, especially if you spend a bit of time in Germany. Try googling German language meetups in Dublin aswell.

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    What second language will you be studying and will you be taking it at ab-initio level? You should be able to get well beyond HC3 level in 15 months, especially if you spend a bit of time in Germany. Try googling German language meetups in Dublin aswell.

I'll be studying Japanese, the course only offers it at Ab-initio but I already have a beginners grasp on it and want to study it a bit more before starting the course (If I get in I guess!) because it's very complicated in terms of its writing system.

Cool ill look into the meetups as well, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hi OP
    I am in goethe since september, I was a complete beginner and started from scratch. I am just finishing my 2nd course now next Tuesday, which was A1.2. The summer courses are pretty intensive and cover a whole level (e.g. all of A2.1), I might be doing the next one myself.
    So yes you can get up a few levels in 15 months certainly.
    http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/lrn/stf/enindex.htm
    I have to say, I really love the classes there :)

Advertisement