Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get into primary teaching

• 17-05-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi guys hope this is the right place to post this.

Just coming out of a 3 years arts degree, and looking at all my options for the future.

I was thinking of primary school teaching and was wondering what courses I would have to do to be qualified? I only have pass Irish from the leaving cert so would I have to do it again?
    Also, probably a stupid question, but emigrating is also on the cards for me, can I do a primary teaching degree abroad? Say in NZ or Oz, and still be able to teach here? Or am I even eligble for courses abroad?

SOrry for all the questions any help greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Generally a post grad in one of the colleges of education. hiowever it's a really nad time to get into primary teaching 1,200 teachers are losing jobs in June.It's nigh on impossible to get any long term subbing, much less a temporary never mind permanent job.

Have a look at educationposts.ie re post grads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

You could do the PGCE in the UK, most unis do them..you need a minimum 2:1 in an hons degree for most courses and some experience..you also need leaving cert maths, english and a science subject (some unis will let you do an equivalency exam if you only have junior cert science)..the course lasts 10 (intense but managable) months..

Unfortunetly from this september the fees for most uni courses in England have nerly trebelled..not sure about fees in wales and scotland) and the teacher training bursary is also being scrapped afaik..

It is possible to do a post grad in taching in Oz or NZ..you would need a student visa and have to look up specifically what their requirements are, but i remember being at a post grad fair in dublin a few years ago and there were aussie and NZ colleges there recruiting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

If you train abroad you have to do the SCG (Scrúdú Cáilíochta sa Ghaeilge) when you come back, it's supposed to be very tough. There are courses of study in it available in loads of places around the country.

Advertisement