Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enchiladas Sauce

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I cook a lot at home but I am struggling to find a nice recipe for enchiladas, I've tried a couple of different versions but I'm still not happy :)

I very rarely use sauces from a jar when cooking, however I keep finding myself returning to the Old El Paso enchiladas sauce, it just tastes sooo good!

Does anyone have any tried and trusted recipes for making enchiladas sauce? If do, please share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Old El Paso Enchilada kit's sauce does turn out ridic nice in fairness, but I'm pretty sure you can make it easily enough yourself just with tomato puree, paprika, cayenne pepper and chili powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Tinned tomatoes, bit of sugar, bit of salt, tomatoe puree, cumin, chilli powder and coriander. Yummy :)
    I'm having enchiladas for dinner tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I like your suggestions, most of the recipes online tend to suggest adding some stock, always turns out far too watery.

Sounds like it'll be a trial and error process with a combination of the ingredients above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Sounds like it'll be a trial and error process with a combination of the ingredients above :)

Exactly as cooking should be :) I like your style. Let us know how you get on!

Ok, I made this last night and oh my God, why I haven't tried this before I've no idea! Like I said before, I thought the Old Elpaso sauce was gorgeous and it's prob the only sauce from a jar which I use in cooking, I normally cook everything from scratch. However, last night I attempted cooking this using a variety of the ingredient suggested above I have to the say the results were amazing, it turned out to be just as nice (if not nicer) than the Old Elpaso jar. Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

1 tsp cumin, cayeene pepper, ground coriander, sugar, paprika
    1/2 tsp salt
    Carton of passta (I prefer the texture compared to tinned tomoatoes)
    2 handfuls of grated cheddar
    2 chicken fillets
    1 onion
    2 peppers (or your preference of veg)

Method

1. Soften the onion in some oil on a low heat for appox 8 mins
    2. Turn up heat and brown chicken
    3. Add spices as listed above
    4. Add passata, sugar, salt and veg, cook on low heat for 10 mins
    5. Add small handfull of grated cheddar and cook until melted
    6. Spoon chicken and veg in to wraps, roll and place in oven proof dish *
    7. Poor remaining tomoto sauce over the wraps and sprinkle remaining cheese on top
    8. Cook in oven at 180 C for appox 15 mins until the cheese has browned slightly

* you need to keep enough of the tomato sauce mixture for the top of the wraps

I usually serve this with rice or salad. The 1 tsp of cayenne pepper made the sauce quite spicy which I love, but reduce this amount to make it milder. I think adding a small amount of cheese while cooking improves the texture and allows the mix to stay in the wraps. The results were amazing, I made enough so that I would have some leftover for my lunch today so now I'm off to devour them up :)

Hope someone else tries this, if you do please let us know it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ok, I made this last night and oh my God, why I haven't tried this before I've no idea! Like I said before, I thought the Old Elpaso sauce was gorgeous and it's prob the only sauce from a jar which I use in cooking, I normally cook everything from scratch. However, last night I attempted cooking this using a variety of the ingredient suggested above I have to the say the results were amazing, it turned out to be just as nice (if not nicer) than the Old Elpaso jar. Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp salt
    2 chicken fillets
    1 onion

Method

7. Poor remaining tomoto sauce over the wraps and sprinkle remaining cheese on top
    8. Cook in oven at 180 C for appox 15 mins until the cheese has browned slightly

I usually serve this with rice or salad. The 1 tsp of cayenne pepper made the sauce quite spicy which I love, but reduce this amount to make it milder. I think adding a small amount of cheese while cooking improves the texture and allows the mix to stay in the wraps. The results were amazing, I made enough so that I would have some leftover for my lunch today so now I'm off to devour them up :)

I'll give it a spin, possibly tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp salt
    2 chicken fillets
    1 onion

Method

just waiting on the rice now:D
    took a peek in the oven and they look great,
    i doubled up the quantities for 5 people and have made 5 big enchiladas and there is still enough in the pan to make 2 more comfortably, just couldn't fit them in the oven dish.

edit:
    having kids at a time like this is a bit of a bummer. i could have had 2 or even 3 of these if it wasn't for those damn pesky kids:mad::D
    seriously though these are fecking lovely

sponge_bob wrote: »
    having kids at a time like this is a bit of a bummer. i could have had 2 or even 3 of these if it wasn't for those damn pesky kids:mad::D
    seriously though these are fecking lovely

:D:D:D Fortunately, our little lad is just under 2 and he could only manage a quarter of one! Glad you liked them, think I'll have to have them again this wk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

We do something similar but use natural yogurt with ass loads of grated cheese mixed through as the topping, means that we can be as spicy as we like with the filling and can moderate the heat of the kids portions by giving them more topping.

Advertisement