Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help a Newbie? C&C + Tips Please

• 17-05-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was hoping to get some tips or advice on learning a bit more about photography. I'm very much a beginner and my current weapon of choice is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 (7mp) which I picked up about 3 years ago. It's served me well but I'd like to get some better results and learn a bit more so after a bit of research I'm picking up a Canon 550D tonight.

Here are some pics I've taken on the Lumix:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenjkenny/sets/72157626616343603

Would love to get some feedback. Some info on the shots:

* Most taken with the "Simple" mode on the camera (ie point and shoot). I don't really know enough about the rest of the features on the camera.

* Some were touched up in Photoshop (which I've started learning about 2 weeks ago) using simple things like Auto Contrast, Auto Tone, Auto Color, Black/White conversion, HDR Toning, Gausian Blur etc.

I've been very happy with the results so far given my fairly big lack of understanding of most things around photography. Hoping to see a nice improvement with the new camera.

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn the basics of DSLR photography so I can learn properly with the new Canon? Perhaps recommend a beginners photography class/group/course in dublin?

Any other tips/advice?

Thanks,
    Darren

5729353829_e7170cb48c_b.jpg
    5722186289_89f3bdc933_b.jpg
    5729903590_642309f16c_b.jpg
    5729903730_3301906073_b.jpg
    5729354109_f94af1bb2f_b.jpg
    5729903500_f5555ee72c_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Quite often new Canon's come with a free introduction course, I'm not sure where you got yours so it might not apply in your case but worth checking out.

I think those courses are run by the IOP, but even if you're not eligible for the free version you could consider going for a paid version there.

Another option might be Dublin Camera Club, they run courses and you could even join up as a member. There are other clubs round about Dublin as well which might suit you better, just give your location and some one will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Thanks nilhg, I'm buying a slightly used camera so I guess the free course is out. I'm based in clondalkin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Loads of clubs out in west Dublin including Clondalkin, might be worth a look see.

Keep an eye on the expeditions sub forum here too, there are often outings, they're a great way of picking up tips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mentioned C&C in your thread title - there are a couple of shots with crooked horizons, one very pronounced. best to straighten these up.
    in the second shot, you can see 'haloing' just above the land - this is a common issue when you're trying to bring a bright sky back a bit, but don't want to darken the land too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Thanks magic just what I was looking for, I'll dig out the original of the second shot. I applied some sort of HDR filter to that which caused that white glow effect just above the land. I'm sure I can sort that out because I don't think its as obvious in the original. Probably a case of me going a bit overboard with post-processing :P

That's something I never thought about with the horizon line (guess I've a lot to learn haha). I'll have a go at straightening the horizon lines tonight in photoshop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement