Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Queens Visit and GOH etc

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

quoteIt was a great ceremony and as good as anything you see put on by the British

..................Troop in the colour, Queens colour sqn, household cavelry, kings troop Royal Marines drill company, kings troop RHA Saluting Battery ?

It was well done and looked good, but lets not get carried away.

For its scale it was. As well drilled and choreographed as any ceremony that that our more militaristic European neighbours would put on. Its not like our defence forces do that every day like some countries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

xflyer wrote: »
    It's the traditional full dress uniform as used in the 1930s. Seems to be based on the French model with particularly the Kepi. It's far from anything like the Artane boys band uniform. It's a very traditional military full dress uniform.

Irish202.jpg

Not that far off the one on the bottom right, which was what I had in mind:

page0-artane-band-gpo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The previous poster made the claim.

For a small nation it was well done and compares to well to most European nations, but larger nations have ceremonial units hence why they look so impressive in terms of uniforms, drill, field guns etc, so the posters claim had to be challenged.

Well, I suggest you take the high road and politely decline to comment on others' hyperbole. As you well know, the United Kingdom's Armed Forces' reputation is secure enough not to be in need of defence on various internet fora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Utrinque Paratus

steve9859 wrote: »
    For its scale it was. As well drilled and choreographed as any ceremony that that our more militaristic European neighbours would put on. Its not like our defence forces do that every day like some countries!

As well drilled and choreographed as any ceremony that that our more militaristic European neighbours would put on.

Ok Im wrong and you are right it was just as choreographed and well drilled as the 300 drill movements the Queens Colour sqn perform.

Why do you need to make OTT claims ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0qyBiqdAE

xflyer wrote: »
    Yes we get it UP, you don't like the Irish Defence Forces and you particularly don't like anyone taking pride in the Defence Forces. You made that abundantly clear in previous posts. You like to disguise it by making pedantic comments. But you know, pedants are just as irritating. Your intervention was unneccessary and pointless. You join my ignore list now. Goodbye.

It's the traditional full dress uniform as used in the 1930s. Seems to be based on the French model with particularly the Kepi. It's far from anything like the Artane boys band uniform. It's a very traditional military full dress uniform.

Irish202.jpg

How does giving a fair apprasial make me anti Irish defence forces ? :rolleyes:

I said it was good to fair and well done for a small nation with no drill school etc.

I would have prefered if the medals had been court mounted, Im not keen on the weapons drill, as it makes it look like soldiers are swaying as rifles are slung across the body when marching and some of the honour guard should have kept eyes front at all times, ceremonial field guns would also looked better.

Apart from those little things which an untrained eye would not notice it was good.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Well, I suggest you take the high road and politely decline to comment on others' hyperbole. As you well know, the United Kingdom's Armed Forces' reputation is secure enough not to be in need of defence on various internet fora.

Thanks but I throught this was a military discussion forum as opposed to somewhere people all have to nod in agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The 25 Pdrs are ceremonial guns. They are only used for ceremonial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Ah would ya give over, if anybody was a bit slack then they wouldn't be on a GOH.

Looking back at the highlights on the news, the guy at the end is wearing a F/Sgt's rank marking so that would tie in with the NCO i/c theory.

I also heard the distinctive clink of a medal hitting the ground when the honour guard presented arms :(

"Cúirtéis den banríon Éilís a do"...Who ever that we would have heard that? :)
    cuirteis do banrion Eilis a do gard onorah
    gard tarraigaigh airm.

• Advertisement

V Bull wrote: »
    img5867x.jpg

Close-up view..
    img5867copy.jpg

I think she is wearing 3 pips on her shoulder pads...Capt alright..
    yes 3 pips is a cpt.. 2pips 1st lieut.. 1pip 2nd lieut...

dodgydes wrote: »
    Ref the OP, there were two lines, one not in this shot. The shortass on the end is the senior NCO. They are arranged so that when they march into position parallel to the red carpet, they are in the right order.

Disclaimer: i know that Makikomi is probably only taking the piss, but there are people here that could use any excuse to diss the fine display the DF put on today
    your totally right the army allways put on a great show and they really put on a fantastic show for the queens visit well done lads

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I know know they are no longer in use,but they are not attractive to look at. They are too small.

?!

I think the 25pr on the Carriage Mk1 is one of the most attractive field guns out there.

And so what about size? The US Army does well enough with a 75mm pack howitzer.

id_m116how_edleavitt_02_700.jpg

The Old Guard uses 3" Anti-tank guns, also of smaller calibre than a 25pr
    PSB-large.jpg

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I can't find anything better than this photos online, but here's the 25 pounder in Mullingar;

4942630357_40f07f5e09.jpg

And a British 25 pound, and save for the union flag decal its a carbon copy of the Irish 25 pounder, now used only as a ceremonial gun.

ordnance-qf-25pdr.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Cool, looks immaculate as always.

What about the 2 batteries of ceremonial guns (each of 6 Coastal Defence 12 pounders) 1 is based in Dun Laoighaire Harbour and the other on Spike Island I believe?

Any photos of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Morphéus wrote: »
    Cool, looks immaculate as always.

What about the 2 batteries of ceremonial guns (each of 6 Coastal Defence 12 pounders) 1 is based in Dun Laoighaire Harbour and the other on Spike Island I believe?

Any photos of these?
    No ceremonial guns on Spike. Spike is now in the hands of Cork Co Co. There is as far as I know one 6'' coastal artillery piece still there, now decommisioned, but I am open tp correction.

The Saluting battery is on Fort davis, the guns having been moved from spike in 1988. There is at least one Coastal Defence gun still in place underground on spike, covering the harbour approach..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaycarlow

Fair play to the Defence forces for a small country we should be proud of what men and women represent us around the world

One other thing tho that Range Rover in the above picture has an 11 D Irish Reg yet there is a British Tax Disc on display

Is that a number plate used by the Goverment for foreign diplomatic cars??

jaycarlow wrote: »
    Fair play to the Defence forces for a small country we should be proud of what men and women represent us around the world

One other thing tho that Range Rover in the above picture has an 11 D Irish Reg yet there is a British Tax Disc on display

Is that a number plate used by the Goverment for foreign diplomatic cars??

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭SamuelFox

Whats with the uniform amendments - the red/green/gold combo on the motorcycle outrider and the red band on the Air Corps Officers' cap? Is this a general thing or in honour of the Great White Chief?

• Advertisement

The Motorcyclists uniform is changed well over a year. The Pipers is new.

Got favourable comments from the media, who found the normal GoH uniforms a bit plain...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Been saying this for ages, the number ones look sh*te to be honest. Although to change it would be a major mistake, far more important things to spend a very very limited budget on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

SamuelFox wrote: »
    Whats with the uniform amendments - and the red band on the Air Corps Officers' cap? Is this a general thing or in honour of the Great White Chief?

Air Corps Police NCO, me thinks, not an officer. Just like the Army Military Police (P.A.) red band cap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Husqvarna

quoteIt was a great ceremony and as good as anything you see put on by the British

..................Troop in the colour, Queens colour sqn, household cavelry, kings troop Royal Marines drill company, kings troop RHA Saluting Battery ?

It was well done and looked good, but lets not get carried away.

Just for info, the ceremony you're referring to is Trooping The Colour, not as you referred to it. And it's also cavalry, not cavelry.

Husqvarna wrote: »
    Just for info, the ceremony you're referring to is Trooping The Colour, not as you referred to it. And it's also cavalry, not cavelry.

And he pretends to be a member of the UK Military......

Advertisement