Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Iver/Grand Canal Theatre/20th October

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Drum.lad wrote: »
    Do people know if this is an over 18s event...I got tickets for me and my brother and i saw nothing that said over 18s.Never been to the venue before so i dont know what there like.

166382.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hugh2006

Sold out!!!. Only heard they were playing again last week!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Drum.lad

i'm banned - yipee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Three more sleeps :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He's on Jools Holland this week, fyi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sycea

I got tickets for myself and my 15 year old cousin, not realising it was over 18s only, so i rang them and they said they wouldn't be policing the youngsters coming in, just checking at the bar. So, should be alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Interview on sat morning on phantom with him too, Nadine O Regan on the kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mark 00

Only a few hours, can't wait.

Just got tickets today from an ex gf of a friend of a friend. Had totally given up hope. I was one of the unlucky ones who was refreshing ticketmaster only to end up empty handed. Can't believe my luck!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Really brilliant performance, pretty much flawless.
    Only spoiled for me somewhat because of gob****es both in front of and behind me talking to each other loudly.
    It really wasn't the right atmosphere for that at all.
    Contrary to Heisenberg I thought it was much better to be seated. Most of the music isn't much to move around to in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Bit underwhelmed by the gig. Perhaps I bigged it up too much.

Felt that while the arrangements were reallllllly tight, it just didn't connect with the crowd. The band were definitely into the music - the crowd just seemed disconnected.

Think the venue was just wrong. It needed to be much smaller (vicar st) or for that size of crowd an open air tent gig, where people could bop, move, or do whatever (e.g. The Big Tent at the Galway Arts festival where Bon Iver played in 2008). Just my opinion btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

One of the best gigs I've been to I thought. Venue was just amazing. Saw them in Galway and it just didn't compare. I remember a lot of talking and chatting went on at that gig, just not right to talk through Bon Iver like. Re:Stacks the other night was just absolutely amazing, the utter silence is the best way possible to respect a musician of such talent! And the encore with everyone singing to Skinny Love, topped it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Was at it as well... Fantastic concert. I'm going to say that the opening number was one of my favorite of the night (Perth). Might be down to the fact that it's my favorite song of his.
    Sound quality was world class with amazing lighting to back it up. On another plus...Sold a ticket from a friend of ours who couldn't make it and managed to get 50 euro from a bloke outside the venue, half way through the concert :P
    Can't say it's the best gig I've been to, however it is definitely within the top 3. He sounds like a really genuine artist. Would have liked to hear him talk a little more in between songs but that is a minor thing.

P.S Reggie is a beast! :D Fro for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

One of the best gigs I've been to I thought. Venue was just amazing. Saw them in Galway and it just didn't compare. I remember a lot of talking and chatting went on at that gig, just not right to talk through Bon Iver like. Re:Stacks the other night was just absolutely amazing, the utter silence is the best way possible to respect a musician of such talent! And the encore with everyone singing to Skinny Love, topped it off!

Exactly!! The silence from the crowd whenever songs like Re:Stacks and others was being played was amazing. Everybody was captivated by it and nobody made a sound incase they missed something.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    P.S Reggie is a beast! :D Fro for the win!

Yeah, that guy was switching instruments like it was nobodies business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

dagdha wrote: »
    Exactly!! The silence from the crowd whenever songs like Re:Stacks and others was being played was amazing. Everybody was captivated by it and nobody made a sound incase they missed something.
    Not the guys in front of me :(

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Not the guys in front of me :(

Yeah I felt there was a lot of that. Luckily there were none close to me...

People constantly getting up during the show was also an annoying distraction, however I don't think it took away for the amazing show that it was.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bit late to the party with this, been a busy week. Loved this gig. Stetson on sax was tremendous and the trumpet and tbone were just amazing at times.

Thought the crowd were decent, respectful and appreciative. Pet peev are the people that live their lives through their mobile phones and cameras. You can't capture the feeling you get when Wolves I and II ends no matter how hard you try.

Get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lordgoat wrote: »
    Bit late to the party with this, been a busy week. Loved this gig. Stetson on sax was tremendous and the trumpet and tbone were just amazing at times.

Thought the crowd were decent, respectful and appreciative. Pet peev are the people that live their lives through their mobile phones and cameras. You can't capture the feeling you get when Wolves I and II ends no matter how hard you try.

Get involved.

Keep that one to yourself, other people doing it means we'll never have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

How was Kathleen Edwards as support?
    I hope the crowd kept quiet and enjoyed her set. I've seen her numerous times and she's incredible.
    She's playing Academy 2 in Feb.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I hope the crowd kept quiet and enjoyed her set. I've seen her numerous times and she's incredible.

Too busy getting pints into me to hear... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

whiskeyman wrote: »

shes streaming over at NPR....nice post-Christmas listen.....:)

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/08/144623320/first-listen-kathleen-edwards-voyageur

Advertisement