Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike License...HELP NEEDED!

• 17-05-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Got my provisional A1 motorbike license when i was 16 that entitles me to ride a bike up to 125cc. I'm now 18 and want to get a provisional A Motorbike License. Can i just go into the tax office and get it changed to a A one? or do i have to go and do the theory test again? Don't really see the point when its the exact same as the A1 theory :confused:
    Any help greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

rorysllvn2 wrote: »
    Got my provisional A1 motorbike license when i was 16 that entitles me to ride a bike up to 125cc. I'm now 18 and want to get a provisional A Motorbike License. Can i just go into the tax office and get it changed to a A one? or do i have to go and do the theory test again? Don't really see the point when its the exact same as the A1 theory :confused:

You have to apply for the A theory test and do the test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rorysllvn2

goodlad wrote: »
    You have to apply for the A theory test and do the test again.
    does this mean i'm going to have to do the IBT lessons now that i'd be doing the theory again? since the law was brought in dec '10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pretty sure you have to do part of the IBT, maybe half the course, but can't be certain on that. Wouldn't have thought you'd need to do the theory, assuming you passed a bike theory test in recent years.

Best place to ask these questions is in your local tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 6 speks121

Ya gotta start from scratch again as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

rorysllvn2 wrote: »

Hi rorysllvn2

You don't have to do the theory test again to get the cat A put on your licence but you will have to do the conversion modules of IBT. This is to move up to the bigger bikes and only covers the compound & on-road training. Unfortunately this will be the same for anyone in your position. The conversion module covers the items below.

1. Moving off and stopping
    2. Use of brakes
    3. Use of gears
    4. Slow riding
    5. Figure of eight
    6. U-turn
    7. Slalom
    8. Rear observation and mirrors
    9. Turning left and right
    10. Emergency adjustment of speed
    11. Gradients
    12. Junctions
    13. Traffic lights
    14. Roundabouts
    15. Safe distance
    16. Anticipation and reaction
    17. Pedestrian crossings
    18. Bends

This will take about 10 or 11 hours to do and once signed off you will be able to legally ride the larger machines.
    I hope this help but I know it's not what you wanted to hear. Good luck ;)

Roadskill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 SligoBob

Hi guys, can you outline the process of getting a full A licence starting from scratch.

I am currently thinking of getting a 125cc Enduro bike to bring on holiday in my camper. Although I would like to have the A licence as I would ride other bikes from time to time. I will be carrying a pillion passenger so, provisional is a no-no.

I'm quite experienced on a bike and have had a clean full car licence for 7 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Here is a page from the MAG Ireland website:

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Here is a page from the MAG Ireland website:

Thanks!

The 6 month rule, not being able to do your practical test within 6 months of being issued the learner permit. Are there any exceptions to this rule? I had an M and A1 provisional when I was 16, so 7/8 years ago. Would this have any bearing on anything?

I ask because I want to use the bike in September in France, so I presume I'll need a full licence for Insurance to cover me in Europe, and I want to carry a pillion passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It'll make no difference. You'll go down as a first time permit holder which means 6 months until you can sit the test. The learner permit is not valid outside the republic of Ireland. You won't be able to legally carry a pillion either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate!

zetecmad wrote: »
    Well i had a provisional licence at 16 (2006) im looking at getting a 125 bike for work and rang the motor tax office about my licence as i now hold a full car licence. The woman told me i just have to fill out a provisional form to receive my second a1 provisional licence. Just wondering where this leaves me with the new IBT and can i go straight out and ride as soon as i get my licence??

Taken from another thread and they were told they wouldn't have to start from scratch? So one or 2 more details and maybe I can get a better idea;

I held the A1 proviosional in 2003. It was displayed on my B proviosional licence, when I obtained that in 2004. Only when I got my full B licence in 2004, it didn't apear. Presumably as it wasn't a full A1 licence. So would I still have a proviosional A1 on the system or anything like that? As that sounds like it would help me out a lot with respect to sitting the practical test asap, and being able to use the bike on hols in September?

Or who could I contact to clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

SligoBob wrote: »
    Taken from another thread and they were told they wouldn't have to start from scratch? So one or 2 more details and maybe I can get a better idea;

I held the A1 proviosional in 2003. It was displayed on my B proviosional licence, when I obtained that in 2004. Only when I got my full B licence in 2004, it didn't apear. Presumably as it wasn't a full A1 licence. So would I still have a proviosional A1 on the system or anything like that? As that sounds like it would help me out a lot with respect to sitting the practical test asap, and being able to use the bike on hols in September?

Or who could I contact to clarify?

Your A1 licence would have lapsed in 2005 as they only last for 2 years. From reading here, but not 100% sure, you would have needed to renew it within 5 years otherwise it is lost. You could try your local tax office for some more information on it.

Also, as previously stated, you cannot use a provisional licence abroad as they are not recoginsed.

Advertisement