Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help growing tomatoes.

Options
  • 17-05-2011 12:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭

I started growing tomato plants from seeds inside. I know have the plants in a "pop up greenhouse" outside.
    I read on the Internet that I should remove all the leaves except the one at the top... Are they too young to do this now or should I do it?

Here is a picture
    tC9Xv.jpg
    http://imgur.com/tC9Xv

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Way too earlier to remove leaves:D, you need another 5 feet of growth and then only remove the leaves from the bottom foot(usually up to the bottom truss) to allow air and light in.

Side shoots you can remove once a week but wait until the plant is about two feet high otherwise you might accidentally remove the plants head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

I've been growing tomatoes for years, and I never heard of removing nearly all the leaves! What I do, and I think it's the advice normally given, is remove the lower leaves gradually as the plant grows. It's true that lots of leaves can shade the tomatoes too much, but I think taking all the leaves off would a bit drastic, I'm sure the plants need them to make food. In any case your plants are far too small, they should be a foot or 2 high before you take any leaves off. Do take off side shoots though - maybe this was what you read about? As the plants get bigger they will produce side shoots, not to be mistaken for flower shoots, which should be pinched out with your fingers while they are small. I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I've been growing tomatoes for years, and I never heard of removing nearly all the leaves! What I do, and I think it's the advice normally given, is remove the lower leaves gradually as the plant grows. It's true that lots of leaves can shade the tomatoes too much, but I think taking all the leaves off would a bit drastic, I'm sure the plants need them to make food. In any case your plants are far too small, they should be a foot or 2 high before you take any leaves off. Do take off side shoots though - maybe this was what you read about? As the plants get bigger they will produce side shoots, not to be mistaken for flower shoots, which should be pinched out with your fingers while they are small. I hope this helps!

I never heard it either and I worked in tomato nurseries for years as my dad was a commercial tomato grower. We would deleaf as you describe to increase airflow and light to the mature tomato trusses, as we picked the crop from the bottom trusses up we would remove the leaves to the next developed truss. When your coming to the end of season pinch the head of the tomato plant out so the plant puts all its energy into the fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I never heard it either and I worked in tomato nurseries for years as my dad was a commercial tomato grower. We would deleaf as you describe to increase airflow and light to the mature tomato trusses, as we picked the crop from the bottom trusses up we would remove the leaves to the next developed truss. When your coming to the end of season pinch the head of the tomato plant out so the plant puts all its energy into the fruit.
    That sounds about right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

check this website out..its very helpful.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about473.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement