Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looks like bad news for Stryker

Options
  • 17-05-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Stryker Ireland has called a staff meeting at their East Cork plant this afternoon.

There are fears that 100 jobs could be at risk at the US medical devices firm which is based in Carrigtwohill.

A spokesperson for the company confirmed that the firm will be announcing structural changes at that meeting at 3pm.

The firm has three manufacturing facilities in Ireland, two in Carrigtwohill and one in Limerick.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/medical-devices-firm-calls-staff-meeting-amid-jobs-fear-505382.html#ixzz1Mc1FqwEq

Big employer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

Bad news.

I worked there 2years ago, there was a hire freeze but things looked good then (I was in the Instruments plant), they were making money.

Any word as to which plant/employees are for the chop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

This is the last thing Cork needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

A total of 142 jobs are to go at the Stryker manufacturing facility in Carraigtwohill, Co Cork, it has been announced.

Workers were informed of the decision at a meeting at the plant this afternoon.

The US medical devices firm, which also has an operation in Limerick, said however that it plans to hire 60 people in the development and production of new high-end endoscopy products over the next four years.

Labour TD for Cork East and Minister for Research Sean Sherlock said that he hopes the company will rehire some of those who are made redundant.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/stryker-confirms-job-losses-505407.html#ixzz1Mci2hVtr
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I thought they were looking to hire people at the moment :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bad news.

I worked there 2years ago, there was a hire freeze but things looked good then (I was in the Instruments plant), they were making money.

Any word as to which plant/employees are for the chop?

apparently they are going to merge the two into one ( products and employees) - lots of unhappy workers tonight I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

A real shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just asking my brother who works there, and he was saying tisnt all doom and gloom that perhaps it will happen futher on down the line but for now things are safe which is great for those working there

flash1080 wrote: »
    I thought they were looking to hire people at the moment :confused:

They are. Also they have bought out the neurovascualar product range from Boston Scientic. Merging the two plants in Carrigtwohill makes sense for the longterm security of the facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Milly33 wrote: »
    I was just asking my brother who works there, and he was saying tisnt all doom and gloom that perhaps it will happen futher on down the line but for now things are safe which is great for those working there

Yeah June next year before any layoffs i think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My brother got a phone call this morning about Stryker looking for him to interview for a position there.

Seems they are stilling hiring for some jobs at the plant

• Advertisement
Advertisement