Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you pronounce the letter R?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

kraggy wrote: »
    Presenters and newsreaders on RTE pronounce the R as "Are" and not "or" because in Gaeilge, the letter R is pronounced "Are".

And RTE is Raidio Teilifis Eireann, which of course is Gaeilge so, they are correct when they pronounce it like that.

So Ar-Tee-Ay is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

RTE are welcome to pronounce any words in weird ways, even saying Van Goh instead of Van Goff, just as long as they never, ever start pronouncing sixth as sikth. Hearing this on UK stations make me want to jam SSSSSSSS between their teeth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

. W

As in - Jonathon Woss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or
    Agonist wrote:
    RTE are welcome to pronounce any words in weird ways, even saying Van Goh instead of Van Goff, just as long as they never, ever start pronouncing sixth as sikth. Hearing this on UK stations make me want to jam SSSSSSSS between their teeth.
    God yea, or their thing of adding R's to words ending in vowels. So "drawing" becomes "drawRing". Arrgh. The TV3 school of elocution is as bad though. Many a mangled vowel and consonant in evidence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Agonist wrote: »
    RTE are welcome to pronounce any words in weird ways, even saying Van Goh instead of Van Goff

It's actually pronounced Van Hoch; crazy Dutch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

"OARE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

I pronounce Ireland as 'Areland'. :o

Pronounce 'R' as 'or' though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Atori joguor.

Not this thread again!!

:rolleyes:

Plebs.
    The title is self-explanatory, what did you come in here for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I think OR would be the most appropriate, but i Know in america its AR, which makes me feel like a pirate :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Or
    Ish-shew

I pronounce Ireland as Areland. Can't stand the way Americans say I-errr-land. And the way some English say Dub-a-lin.

I call it Blackpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do you pronounce the letter R like "or" or "are"?

eg. RTÉ: is it "or tee ee" or "are tee ee"?

I say "or".

A very important issue, and certainly a candidate for Thread Of The Year.

ps. How do you pronounce "issue"? Is it like "ish-oo" or "iss-yew"? I ask because a couple of years ago, RTÉ reporters started saying "iss-yew". Why?

When is T happening, thats the one im having trouble with.

Tay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Dobson can't pronounce chimney. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement