Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Hero

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I dunno, I learned great knife skills from my butcher.
    Did you not learn that in the army?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Did you not learn that in the army?

I don't talk about that now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I dunno, I learned great knife skills from my butcher, he let me butcher my own cuts, I'm quick too from practice. I can use a steel properly, very impressive when sober.
    But thats what I mean.Your butcher showed you ,who showed mr hero

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

eternal wrote: »
    I wouldnt find him slightly attractive.Id like to know how he learned to knead like that as its the kind of thing you could only learn with hands on training.But he says he hadnt had any training.You cant learn that from a book or even from watching t.v
    Makes me wonder really.

In fairness, I'd argue differently. I've never had any proper training, yet I know that I use a knife better than people I see on Masterchef. It's a matter of watching people who are good, then trial and error. You quickly learn what works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dudara wrote: »
    In fairness, I'd argue differently. I've never had any proper training, yet I know that I use a knife better than people I see on Masterchef. It's a matter of watching people who are good, then trial and error. You quickly learn what works.
    Yeah, same here. It's not that difficult to do once you put a bit of effort in. Say goes for the bread kneading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

So I'm just trying to gauge. Do people like, hate or simply not give two tugs of a dead dog's winky about Donal Skeehan?

I ask, because I've heard so many mixed reactions both in relation to his cooking, and his show. I have friends that swear by his books, and other's that would rather cook their own feet than follow the Kitchen Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm in the couldn't give 2 tugs camp.
    Watched one episode on the player to see what all the fuss is about.
    I thought it wasn't that bad but I'd have zero interest in watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I have friends that swear by his books, and other's that would rather cook their own feet than follow the Kitchen Hero.

I received a copy for Christmas because I like to cook. Not terrible, but nothing that that Jamie Oliver didn't cover in his Ministry for Food book a few years earlier. Which is a book I would recommend to anyone wanting to cook tasty food that can be put together with ingredients you can buy in your local supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 backwards:)

I am a huge follower of Donal Skehan. I moved out of home having had no interest in cooking or general domesticity at all (because i had a mammy for doing everything :) ). It hit me big time that i now had to take a bit of responsibility and look after myself and that take-aways etc wouldn't suffice. So i tried a few cookery books....Rachel Allen, Jamie oliver. NONE of the recipies worked for me as a novice cook and i thought about giving up! For xmas i got a present of Donal Skehan's book and i now read it like a novel! ALL the recipies worked for me, they were simple,healthy home cooking recipies and that is what he is all about...to you foodies who like to go for something adventurous, this programme isn't for you, but don't snipe at it and put it down...i believe it is helping a lot of young people who have been surrounded by processed foods all of their lives, to learn a thing or two. He learned everything from home( his techniques more than likely from his mother) and the best thing about these tchniques is they are handed down. He Hasn't had training. Yes he has great knife skills but for god's sake you can type it into google and get a video to show you 'how to' and if you are passionate enough you will search these things and teach yourself. Also, to say he is a failed performer and is now cooking instead is not fair...people have many different talents, he is tapping into his and exploring them all. Yes, performing might be his favourite, if he had to choose, but hes in a band so hes getting best of both worlds and must be having the time of his life!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rinsedpie

Trying out his duck salad tonite, hopefully nobody choke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I tried out his fish and chip reciepe where he cut the fish into fish finger I was able to fry them in shallow oil and they were far nicer than any fish finger. This inspired to make pancakes and place a tablespoon of seasme seeds and they were quite filling

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

i say fairplay to him, if you dont like it dont watch it, i cant cook and i tried a few dishes from the series and came out well, i think its for people who cant cook really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

The guy has hit a niche in the market and is making a good hand of it. He has a down to earth way about him hopefully he will keep this about him throught out this project

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I have both of his books, and have yet to make a bad recipe from either of them. His recipes may not be 'cordon bleu', but the recipes are damn tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Christ - herself is insisting on watching yer man's show. What gets me most is the name of the show - he may as well have called himself Superman! Something more subtle would have been nice...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Ah ,I don't believe the title is meant to be taken literally.I suppose credit is due to him to have pulled all this off .It's not easy to put yourself out there and be ridiculed .Or loved.Just the chance you gotta take.Man ,I'm deep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I like watching the show, although I dislike the naff title. I prefer to use the word 'hero' for people who, you know, do actual heroic things.

Anyhoo. I have a copy of his Good Mood cookbook (which in fairness, is excellent), and he mentions several times that he worked in a restaurant kitchen in Sweden.

So he has had some professional cooking experience, even though he completely downplays that in Kitchen Hero, so I am calling bull**** on that one.

Having said that, his Good Mood cookbook is fantastic for people who want eat clean, natural, healthy meals without actually feeling they're on a diet.
    I've cooked the sausage & roast veg recipe for people and it went down a total storm :D.

I think that would have been a far better USP for him to follow, than the Oirish Jamie Oliver route. Lovely as the desserts are in Kitchen Hero, they certainly don't feature in Good Mood.

Advertisement