Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photographic restrictions for the queen's visit.

• 17-05-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Have mod approval again :)

I just submitted my dissertation, which deals in large part with restrictions on and actions against photographers in the UK in light of anti terrorism legislation there. My supervisor has suggested i pitch to a few of the sunday supplements for a short article on how this crosses here for the royal visit. So i'm looking for *verifiable* accounts of anyone, pro or hobbyist, being restricted or hassled in any way. I'm not even sure there are issues, but it could be interesting.

Two things: it'd have to be verifiable, ie not a friend of your mate's aunties butcher who heard on the bus. Secondly, i have absolutely NO political motives behind this, i'm purely interested in how legislation affects the image, so to put it bluntly i have absolutely no interest in hearing how you feel about the visit. Sorry if that sounds rude. Just trying to head off possible derailment.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth posting this on other sections of boards too?
    i'd say weight of numbers would make it more likely to happen non-'Photography' boardsies than it would the people who come to this subforum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

There are restrictions for Accreditated press also ..... limited spaces at all of the events !!

I know its not the restrictions you wanted - from what I understand there is no restrictions on photography - but the Queen is not really in public view at any stage (for safety reasons - of course)

the general public (and the obvious protesters) are kept a fair distance the best protesters managed to do today while she was in the garden of remembrance is loud whistles (but they were fairly faint inside the gardens)....oh and a number of black balloons launched into the air.

I've been denied access to a number of events - I have accreditation - but due to logistics of numbers of photographers and numbers of spaces available its not physically possible to allow everyone access to everything....some of the big agencies and newspapers face the same dilemma.

Also - even the photographers have been kept at a distance the arrival pics I took were on a 600mm and I had to crop it down to get full-length, images from the garden of remembrance ranged from 16-35mm lens to 300mm lensbut were still not allowed into prime access areas, there was 2 "pool" photographers allowed in front of the Queen for laying of the wreath - the rest of us were behind herself and the president so couldn't get a decent image of the actual laying of the wreath.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Also - even the photographers have been kept at a distance the arrival pics I took were on a 600mm and I had to crop it down to get full-length, images from the garden of remembrance ranged from 16-35mm lens to 300mm lensbut were still not allowed into prime access areas, there was 2 "pool" photographers allowed in front of the Queen for laying of the wreath - the rest of us were behind herself and the president so couldn't get a decent image of the actual laying of the wreath.

Did she at least turn and pose with it before laying it, to give the other photographers (and I assume a majority of people at it, if the photographers were behind her) any kind of chance at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

That's great feedback pc - thanks. I'm interested in all that's going on. I haven't seen anywhere any sign of the photographer being treated as a terrorist, which is what happens in the UK a lot, which is brilliant :) and there doesn't seem to be any clampdown on photographing the protests either, or any restrictions on general 'walking around with a camera' lark. That's what i was worried about. Great to see the garda are being intelligent on this front, doesn't bode well for a decent piece for me though :D doesn't look like there's anything of a story here, but if anyone sees or hears anything i'd be very interested.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Did she at least turn and pose with it before laying it, to give the other photographers (and I assume a majority of people at it, if the photographers were behind her) any kind of chance at all?

I'd say they have to maintain a certain level of decorum and dignity at these events, stage managed for public consumption though they may be. It's hardly the Sam Maguire ...

*Queen turns to the crowd, pumping the wreath above her head ! Cheesy smiles all 'round as the press corps go nuts ! Flash bulbs pop ! Then, as the strains of the national anthem start, she turns and solemnly places the wreath*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I considered looking for accreditation for the Tipperary visit but didn't bother in the end - way too much paperwork and what not.
    I heard that all photographers must be in Cork early Fri morning and be bussed to Cashel, which is about 20 mins drive from where i live!!!
    I believe the pooling is usually trashed out between the big publishers and established media people so you might not get a look in at all. Coolmore is even closer to me - but again not worth the effort.
    I was talking to a person from Cashel this evening and they have passes to get through to their own houses and such in the town but from what i hear you wont get too close to the rock itself - so photographically speaking for me at least, it's a non event.
    :)

*Queen turns to the crowd, pumping the wreath above her head ! Cheesy smiles all 'round as the press corps go nuts ! Flash bulbs pop ! Then, as the strains of the national anthem start, she turns and solemnly places the wreath*

You have to admit, it'd make for a good photo, though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

sineadw wrote: »
    doesn't bode well for a decent piece for me though :D doesn't look like there's anything of a story here.

Maybe there is. As I've been saying for a while Ireland isn't England (well maybe excluding Cork :D ) and the heavy handed and sometimes illegal crackdown in the UK is not filtering through to here. I think in general we have a more mature approach to the whole think, both the Public and the Police.

Actually, dammit - you have a point. And there was me hoping to have a rest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 glenf

For what it's worth...

My friend and I were heading for O'Connell Street yesterday around 11am, cameras in tow. The gardaí were searching everyone's bags on the way through all the checkpoints/barricades/whatever. The garda who checked my bag said, slightly apologetically but firmly, "no cameras allowed at the moment." I asked when it might be possible to get through with a camera and was told "about 4 o'clock."

Of course, we walked to the next entry point a couple of streets down, had our camera-laden bags checked and were waved through without question. There were lots of cameras out on O'Connell Street. Bit of a head-scratcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Gerry Kerr

I was on Dorset street all afternoon and found the police very accomodating of photographers ( and the rioters too as it happens) Even in the heat of some of the charges, there was no real hassle with either side.

I was talking to some French and german journalists and they were amazed at how polite both sides were to the media.

Here's a sample
    _MG_0547.jpg

The rest are available at http://www.gerrykerr.com/?p=358

Gerry

Well, I don't want to sound like Mr Kiss Ass here, but Id recommend ye guys getting a little old-fashioned, and putting pen to paper and sending along a nice letter to the Garda Press Office.

If the Gardaì were so courteous, it would do no harm to do same in return, and let them know ye're happy.

I imagine most people won't do this, so I do intend to send along a letter myself. Despite not being in dublin for this particular event, I have always found them great (bump into them a small few times out and about) and I'm sure they'd value the feedback and it may ensure that they dont get bitter towards photographers at future protests, etc. :) (as some people seem to complain about in the UK).

It's nice to be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

just to say anytime I have photographed in England, I have found the police fine - I wa expecting them to be a lot more heavy handed , regarding what i had read on different forums - photographed a high level football match , they just warned for my own sefety, thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

glenf wrote: »
    For what it's worth...

My friend and I were heading for O'Connell Street yesterday around 11am, cameras in tow. The gardaí were searching everyone's bags on the way through all the checkpoints/barricades/whatever. The garda who checked my bag said, slightly apologetically but firmly, "no cameras allowed at the moment." I asked when it might be possible to get through with a camera and was told "about 4 o'clock."

Of course, we walked to the next entry point a couple of streets down, had our camera-laden bags checked and were waved through without question. There were lots of cameras out on O'Connell Street. Bit of a head-scratcher.

That's really odd. I was working in town both Tuesday and yesterday, both days I had at least 2 cameras on me, 5 lenses, along with lights, laptop, tripod and light stands. I got searched plenty of times, the Gardai were more than pleasant (apart from one who was a bit embarassed after getting excited about the head of my tripod...), and had no problem with me coming and going.

Yeah it seems for the most part they've been great. KKV you have a point - I think I will :)

Baz, it doesn't happen *every* time you pull out a camera, but it happens enough that it's a real issue there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I got searched plenty of times, the Gardai were more than pleasant (apart from one who was a bit embarassed after getting excited about the head of my tripod...)
    Gotta ask: excited how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

IMG_8040.jpg

Its shape was mistaken for something more offensive when my tripod bag was opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Maybe there is. As I've been saying for a while Ireland isn't England (well maybe excluding Cork :D ) and the heavy handed and sometimes illegal crackdown in the UK is not filtering through to here. I think in general we have a more mature approach to the whole think, both the Public and the Police.

Agreed.

Is my recollection correct that the Uk went bananas on this stuff after the 7/7 attacks?

If correct, I wonder if a similar chaotic event or attack like this was perpetrated on the Irish people, would authorities thus get strict beyond reasonable behaviour, with photographers or people generally loitering at public spaces (buildings).

And the 7/7 attacks were post afgan / iraq war(s) = heightened national security.

From what I could see on news reports during the queen's visit, there were lots of snappers at the protests and they appeared to be unhindered - infact at one point I thought cool when the riot boys marching in formation just bypassed the photographer and all of a sudden the photographer had an opportunity of following,

The oddest thing is that there's no evidence whatsoever of terrorists using photography in planning the attacks ancat. There's a small but important voice of concern (including the NUJ) that the use of antiterrorism legislation in the UK has more to do with restricting the press than it has to do with preventing crime. All very orwellian...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

sineadw wrote: »
    The oddest thing is that there's no evidence whatsoever of terrorists using photography in planning the attacks ancat. There's a small but important voice of concern (including the NUJ) that the use of antiterrorism legislation in the UK has more to do with restricting the press than it has to do with preventing crime. All very orwellian...

That's a really good point and infact when you think about it, how many individuals with their mobile phone cameras have gotten the same level of hassle as people (as reported) with DSLRs. And the mobile phone is a far more awesome device (:rolleyes:) as it can take video or worse still broadcast live video with services like qik. It certainly defies rationale thought.

I don't think i've come across any such crack down in the US for example, albeit they got to a point of paranoia (and some would suggest with good reason) post 911 with building entry - heavy emphasis on bag searches, and passport control on such buildings. I think this is understandable whether effective or not. As humans, to exist, grow, and develop; we have a basic need to feel secure. The need to feel secure and being secure are completely different things and the reality is often different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement