Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Encrypting an external harddrive

• 17-05-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to do this? I see Truecrypt mentioned alot. Any downsides to it?

If I put it on an external using windows can it be accessed then with Linux?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use Truecrypt and haven't found any issues with it.
    About the second question, don't know. You can try with a USB key first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I have all my external hard drives completely encrypted with Truecrypt and no downside from what I can see. Never had problems either. There is a linux version of truecrypt. I haven't used it but it should play fine with your encrypted hard drives:

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

I use True Crypt on my flash drive, great bit of software. A couple of things I would point out:
    1. You need admin privileges to run Truecrypt (or at least get an admin to install True Crypt)
    2. The setup is a bit convoluted so I'd advise following one of the tutorials.
    3. The flash drive doesn't autorun in windows 7 (but it works perfectly)

As for running it on linux, the Truecrypt FAQ says:
    Will I be able to mount my TrueCrypt volume (container) on any computer?

Yes, TrueCrypt volumes are independent of the operating system. You will be able to mount your TrueCrypt volume on any computer on which you can run TrueCrypt (see also the question 'Can I use TrueCrypt on Windows if I do not have administrator privileges?').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Is TrueCrypt a good way of encrypting a folder called Photo but leave Films, Music, etc ... in short if i only want photos and personal stuff encrypted so that if i give my drive away to someone to copy music films etc. they cant snoop around looking at everything else.

Cork Skate wrote: »
    Is TrueCrypt a good way of encrypting a folder called Photo but leave Films, Music, etc ... in short if i only want photos and personal stuff encrypted so that if i give my drive away to someone to copy music films etc. they cant snoop around looking at everything else.
    With TrueCrypt you can create three types partitions, open/unencrypted, encrypted but visible and encrypted but hidden.

You can store your most sensitive data in the hidden partition which only opens if you enter the correct password and is otherwise invisible.

The only issue is that you have to set the partition sizes when you first set up TrueCrypt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

rcdk1 wrote: »
    With TrueCrypt you can create three types partitions, open/unencrypted, encrypted but visible and encrypted but hidden.

You can store your most sensitive data in the hidden partition which only opens if you enter the correct password and is otherwise invisible.

The only issue is that you have to set the partition sizes when you first set up TrueCrypt.

That's great, just downloaded it there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

By using Truecrypt does it interfere with any data that is already being backed up to a offline backup service (SugarSync,Safecopy,etc)

By using Truecrypt does it interfere with any data that is already being backed up to a offline backup service (SugarSync,Safecopy,etc)
    To be honest, I don't use online (I presume you meant online) backup services so I can't answer your question but a quick google would seem to indicate some do and some don't.

According to this thread, Sugarsync doesn't at the moment.

Dropbox and SyncbackPro are two backups which were mentioned as working with Truecrypt but you would need to check that for yourself.

Advertisement