Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig Problem?

Options
  • 17-05-2011 2:51pm

Hi.

Just got my rig this morning from Hardwareversand, I paid for the assembly so just had to hook it up.

So went looking for the VGA connector my old PC had, which I've been using to hook up to my TV, no sign of it in the back of the new computer.... fair enough I taught times have moved on

So I tried the HDMI cable but I wasn't getting any picture, screens just staying black.

To compound the issue the DVD drive doesn't open(to put in the OS disc), at first I taught it was because I couldn't see the screen and maybe I had to hit a button or two to able to access it.

So I went to Currys trying to find cable that would go into the back of the PC and replace my older VGA cable, thinking the HDMI will only work while playing games and that's why I wasn't getting a picture.

Workers in Currys though informed me the HDMI cable should work the same which makes sense since the DVD drive not opening didn't make sense anyway :mad:

So does it look like its broke and that i'll have to send it back?

It powers on fine, but even if the DVI cable gave me a picture the DVD drive isn't opening anyway :(

EDIT: Have sorted the picture but still can't use the DVD drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

sorry for the off-topic mate. was wondering if you could tell me how long delivery took from HWS? ordered and made bank transfer yesterday.

hope you get your problem fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hungrychef

Can you post the spec of your pc?

When powering up, are all fans running? Leds showing? Are you hearing any beeps?

It could be a number of issues, but if it's a freshly delivered pc it could simply be a wire loosened during shipping. Give as much detail as posible to help narrow the source of the problem.

hungrychef wrote: »
    Can you post the spec of your pc?

When powering up, are all fans running? Leds showing? Are you hearing any beeps?

It could be a number of issues, but if it's a freshly delivered pc it could simply be a wire loosened during shipping. Give as much detail as posible to help narrow the source of the problem.

I got hold of a DVI-VGA cable so was able to hook it up that way and get a picture.

But still suffering from problem no.2.... getting the DVD drive open so I can install the OS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Maybe something happened the drive in transit.

To manually get the drive open, there's a pinhole on the front that
    you can get a paperclip in to manually open the tray.
    It may or may not work after that, but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hungrychef

If it's not even opening it's most likely the wire to the psu is loose. you'll have to open the case and have a look.

• Advertisement

Got it...

One of the cables wasn't attached at all, taught it was weird that only one slot was being used and there was SATA cables just hanging there so tried sticking one in.

Thanks

Right I'm in the home straight but have hit another snag :(

First it was a connection, then the DVD drive wasn't connected, then couldn't install Windows but realised again it was the same problem as the DVD drive and the power wasn't connected.

So I finally got it started around 20mins ago and I can't get the internet connected.

As far as I was aware, a Network adapter was needed IF you wanted WiFi?.... I didn't get one as I use an cable on my other PC but even with the 'net cable it's not giving me any network to connect too.

Cable works fine as I can freely switch it back to this older computer.

I taught maybe I needed to install the Netgear disc onto the new computer but it was no use.
    It mentions something about drivers, but between the disc and having it connected directly to the box it should be enough to get it going.
    I've went all over the net settings but I'm just getting something about network adapters

There is only one slot and the light comes on when the cable is inserted, I also don't see any spare connections which sorted the earlier problems.
    The USB's on the back as well are working fine.

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 171.52
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX 129.53
    4GB-KIT Mushkin Silverline Stiletto PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 37.67
    Sapphire HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 208.82
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 800W 82.30
    Cooler Master HAF 912 schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) 45.14
    Samsung SH-223C bare schwarz SATA 18.89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Are you using the ethernet port built in to the motherboard? Try installing the drivers that came with the motherboard (Most of the time ethernet drivers are built into windows and work out of the box though :confused: )

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Are you using the ethernet port built in to the motherboard? Try installing the drivers that came with the motherboard (Most of the time ethernet drivers are built into windows and work out of the box though :confused: )

Ya I'm using the one in the back.

When I put in that disc for the motherboard it brought me to the Pre-Windows install screen I was getting earlier which gives 2 options(generate RAID/AHCI driver disketter for P67 chipset......) and clicking either just caused a quick confirmation and reboot(on any button press) which would reload and start the screen again)... it didn't seem to install anything as the reload was fairly quick.

Even though when post-Windows install it gave many more options when I put the disc in again... i clicked ''install all'' and then left the room to return to that boot up screen with the 2 options.

Cheers man I got it.

I put the disc back in and it started installing everything down the bottom while all options were faded out.

Strange really as when i clicked install all earlier it just went to that black screen i mentioned in the last message, i didn't click anything as I left the room for a minute and when i returned i was thinking ''this screen again?, why all those options then? :confused:''

And with that I power down this old PC that's served me so well :D

L4D2 here I come.

Great forum... massive thanks for all the help i recieved in building and starting my new computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Hi, does anyone have apple OS disc for a lend. My new laptop(macbook pro) is after driving me mad, moved and lost loads of stuff off it, and need to start from scratch, but I bought it without the original disc. Please help!

Advertisement