Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardwareversand.de vs scan.co.uk

Options
  • 17-05-2011 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

With the sterling exchange rate now, I've compared some products and there doesn't seem to be much of a price difference when ordering the basics, motherboard, cpu, ram, gfx, hd, etc

Why is the 1st site always quoted in builds as the cheapest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

because it still is the cheapest for some/most products, not by a lot though in most cases. i personally made 2 orders for my system that should come soon, 1 from HWS and 1 from scan with a cheaper moniter and some other stuff which was cheaper than HWS. i can say though that scan was a lot easier to order from and the order is due tomorrow (which is a few days before the HWS one will come)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

With the sterling exchange rate now, I've compared some products and there doesn't seem to be much of a price difference when ordering the basics, motherboard, cpu, ram, gfx, hd, etc

Why is the 1st site always quoted in builds as the cheapest?
    never having actually bought anything from HWVS myself, but i can say:

HWVS's website is much easier to navigate. and its simple. Scan's stuff is all over the place.

The basket for your order on HWVS is very simple to read from a print screen.
    It's usually cheaper to order a full rig from the german site with their flat rate.

TBH, people come to this forum for advice, and thats what the we do. after you give us a budget, we find the best all round rig for the price, and advise on the stuff to buy. its then up to the individual to go to the other websites and compare prices. im not gonna do everything for you!

a few websites to compare with are:

scan, overclockersuk, HWVS, ebuyer was very good from personal experience, but now you need a UK address to get your stuff delivered to. pixmania, and amazon to a lesser degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

HWV is the cheapest for sure, but the hassle of doing bank transfers put me off.
    I ended up buying the core bits of my system from scan.co.uk.
    Fast and reasonable delivery prices.

I suppose if you were spending €500+, HWV might be worth the hassle,
    even with their €30 shipping charge, however if you want a easy life
    I'd recommend Scan.co.uk.

I dont know why people are put off by bank transfers. surely everyone does internet banking by now???

it takes me 2 min to set up a bank transfer from here, thats not much more time than it is to type in your CC details.?

and just as an example, when i built my rig nearly a year ago, people gave me specs from HWVS, and i ended up buying from ebuyer.com because it worked out ~€100 cheaper because of some stuff i got in a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I’ll throw my recommendation in for hardwareversand.de! The only advice id give is to make sure you order items in stock with full green bars beside them.

For sending stuff back they are great, printed off a free sticker from their site and brought it to UPS and 7 days later a replacement motherboard arrived. There were no emails or debating over the replacement.

Also you can pay by Paypal but i think it costs 3% of the cart, but I’m sure the savings you make will easily cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Personally I buy most of my stuff from Amazon, as 90% of it qualifies for free delivery anyway, making the €30 HWVS flat rate moot. Anything I can't get from Amazon, I usually pick up from Overclockers, Scan, or Dabs. There's also the fact that I find HWVS a right pain in the swiss to search through.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Personally I buy most of my stuff from Amazon, as 90% of it qualifies for free delivery anyway, making the €30 HWVS flat rate moot. Anything I can't get from Amazon, I usually pick up from Overclockers, Scan, or Dabs. There's also the fact that I find HWVS a right pain in the swiss to search through.
    Amazon are usually far more expensive than the other retailers in the PC components department, even if you include free shipping:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Amazon are usually far more expensive than the other retailers in the PC components department, even if you include free shipping:eek:

Not in my experience... Maybe I just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Scan, because of Paypal and if anything going wrong it be a problem with communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

heid wrote: »
    Scan, because of Paypal and if anything going wrong it be a problem with communication.

How is there a problem with communication?

In all the emails I had with them I never had any problems. Ok one or two words or sentences are in broken English, but its easy to understand and they are to the point, you wont be emailing back and forward for weeks unlike some places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've had many dealings with hdv.de (about 12 orders) and just one with Scan. Scan are expensive, but they are very quick to dispatch and deliver, hdv.de are much cheaper but it usually takes more than a week. I've hdv.de added to my bank account, I can pay online instantly, they receive it instantly and usually ship the next day.

I've had about 3 rma's with hdv.de in my time dealing with them and they were all fine, you email them about a problem and they email you back telling you to ship it back to them and they'll refund postage, never a bother with them. There is no bother with understanding the email, they must have English native speaking staff that deal with it.

My only complaint with hdv.de is that they use DHL for shipping, the packages don't get handled with care, I've had damaged packaging and even an item missing once. Dhl don't operate here anymore, they hand all packages to An Post, which usually adds a day of confusion to the delivery.

Scan, I've dealt with once, well rather tried to. They wanted me to jump through hoops for security checks so I got my old boss to order for me with a UK credit card and get it delivered to a UK address, and then forwarded on to me. It arrived to the UK address the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Scan, I've dealt with once, well rather tried to. They wanted me to jump through hoops for security checks so I got my old boss to order for me with a UK credit card and get it delivered to a UK address, and then forwarded on to me. It arrived to the UK address the next day.

Was wondering if it was just me.

Spent most of Tuesday morning alternating calls between them and the bank with each blaming the other. The fact that you have to ring your order in if you're from Ireland is ridiculous enough, but then the continuous "Card Refused" while on the phone to the sales agent, them telling you it happens all the time and the bank needs to remove the security flag on your card, the bank saying no it's not, your card is fine and they haven't recieved a request for release of funds so they can't do anything etc etc etc. My head was wrecked by the time we got it sorted. First call to them was at 10am, finally gave up with the CC at 1pm and set up a transfer. By the time that was finished it was 1.45pm so in total 3.45 hours to place my order.

Still waiting on confirmation that they received the bank transfer I sent on Tuesday with the additional charge to me in exchange rates and transfer fees. Love their selection and prices but to be honest unless they change their ordering system to cater for users outside the U.K I'll pay the extra elsewhere from now on :(

/Edit just as I posted got a mail saying payment has been authorised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ordered from scan on Tuesday over the phone and there was no delays other than the short time when trying to enter the payments section of their site and got some chrome related problems, IE fixed it and order went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Varik wrote: »
    Ordered from scan on Tuesday over the phone and there was no delays other than the short time when trying to enter the payments section of their site and got some chrome related problems, IE fixed it and order went through.

Weird, I asked if Chrome was ok or should I use Firefox 4 and they said Firefox would be fine. Maybe they were having the same problems with Firefox?

Forgot to mention and meant to in my previous mail apart from the frustration with unsuccessful payment by card they were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Just made my first order with Scan there now, so will see how I get on. Nothing fancy, just a case and a few other bits and bobs.

Oh and how much will they knock off if i ring them up and order through the avforums loyalty thingy does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

HWVS promised to refund my VAT (I'm vat regd company). After 3 orders they have gone verrrry quiet and are no longer responding to any mails about VAT refund. Not happy... The only way to get proper support from them is to ring up and speak German, I have friend helping me out with that. Expect same grief with RMAs etc.

Am quite angry that they lied to me in the email tho. Reclaiming european is so much hassle it's better for me to order off other retailers that will respect vat regd status.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Ordered full rig from HWV and a few bits like 8GB USB stick, thermal paste, anti-static band, €30 delivery and €17 paypal charge and checked Scan.co.uk for same rig without the extras Scan was only €5-6 cheaper. So went with HWV.
    HWV are shooting themselves in the foot with this 3% paypal charge though, ridiculous

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

el dude wrote: »
    Oh and how much will they knock off if i ring them up and order through the avforums loyalty thingy does anyone know?

On P+P you'll get £7.99+VAT off

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

srsly78 wrote: »
    HWVS promised to refund my VAT (I'm vat regd company). After 3 orders they have gone verrrry quiet and are no longer responding to any mails about VAT refund. Not happy... The only way to get proper support from them is to ring up and speak German, I have friend helping me out with that. Expect same grief with RMAs etc.

Am quite angry that they lied to me in the email tho. Reclaiming european is so much hassle it's better for me to order off other retailers that will respect vat regd status.

When I had to call them up the staff spoke perfect English? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

My only complaint with hdv.de is that they use DHL for shipping, the packages don't get handled with care, I've had damaged packaging and even an item missing once. Dhl don't operate here anymore, they hand all packages to An Post, which usually adds a day of confusion to the delivery.

DHL is owned by Deutsche Post which effectively operates it as the national postal service of Germany, it is their equivalent of An Post, Royal Mail, etc,. You have to distinguish between 'DHL' the bog standard postal service of Germany and 'DHL Express' which is their international express courier, the equivalent of FedEx, UPS, TNT etc,.

DHL Express do operate here. If HWVS sent it by DHL Express it would get here in 1-2 days, but they just send it by normal post which is why it takes a week and is handled by An Post when it gets here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

el dude wrote: »
    Just made my first order with Scan there now, so will see how I get on. Nothing fancy, just a case and a few other bits and bobs.

Made this order just before 5pm, and I've just got an email(a txt too) saying it's with the delivery company.

Very impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

sink wrote: »
    DHL is owned by Deutsche Post which effectively operates it as the national postal service of Germany, it is their equivalent of An Post, Royal Mail, etc,. You have to distinguish between 'DHL' the bog standard postal service of Germany and 'DHL Express' which is their international express courier, the equivalent of FedEx, UPS, TNT etc,.

DHL Express do operate here. If HWVS sent it by DHL Express it would get here in 1-2 days, but they just send it by normal post which is why it takes a week and is handled by An Post when it gets here.

I'm getting images of my 2 packages now being kicked around DHL depots :(

Facts of the matter is, when I first started dealing with hdv.de 3 years ago I got orders in 3-4days, delivered straight to my door in a DHL van, I even drove to Athlone one evening to collect the order from the DHL depot. These depots no longer exist, DHL don't operate here anymore for small packages (bulk cargo only) and DHL now hand over to An Post to complete the delivery and now hdv.de orders take longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

On my last order of ~€800 there was cents in the difference of Scan and HW, after around a dozen previous orders with HW I went with Scan, made the order on a Tuesday at noon and had delivery Thursday morning, that's lightening quick. By comparison I order my OS from Dublin on Monday and hadn't got it by the end of the week...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Facts of the matter is, when I first started dealing with hdv.de 3 years ago I got orders in 3-4days, delivered straight to my door in a DHL van, I even drove to Athlone one evening to collect the order from the DHL depot. These depots no longer exist, DHL don't operate here anymore for small packages (bulk cargo only) and DHL now hand over to An Post to complete the delivery and now hdv.de orders take longer.

I think you'll find your wrong.

http://www.dhl.ie/en/express/shipping/find_dhl_locations.html

HWVS probably switched from sending it Express to snail mail in order to cut costs.

I think you'll find your wrong.

http://www.dhl.ie/en/express/shipping/find_dhl_locations.html

HWVS probably switched from sending it Express to snail mail in order to cut costs.

No, its always been DHL Express shipping and still is, its DHL who operate differently here and now use An Post. See
    http://www.google.ie/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=dhl+cut+jobs+ireland&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Especially this one:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0507/dhl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

What is the deal with Scan and VAT? Does anyone have any experience of dealing with them when you are VAT registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Was putting together a new build and found a 5 euro difference in the price from Scan and HWS. Decided to give scan a go and ordered late Sunday night. Items arrived yesterday morning. The speed of delivery and the ease of paying with paypal was defo worth a fiver to me +1 to Scan.

Was putting together a new build and found a 5 euro difference in the price from Scan and HWS. Decided to give scan a go and ordered late Sunday night. Items arrived yesterday morning. The speed of delivery and the ease of paying with paypal was defo worth a fiver to me +1 to Scan.
    following on from that comment, i thought i'd add to it, I just put through an order on HWVS for a friend (€1400 budget) yesterday. comparable system from Scan was over €100 more delivered (the savings were used to upgrade all components slightly, including upping from a HD6950 to a nice HD6970)

Scan just doesnt come close to HWVS in stuff like PSU's, GPU's and peripherals.
    Other than that, ive nothing against Scan. I actually ordered the monitor and keyboard from Scan, as HWVS doesnt have a great selection on either of those.

Ill update ye on how long it took to arrive etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I suppose i should, in the interests of fairness, point out that my PSU didn't come from scan, got it from Amazon.co.uk along with my HDD (free delivery). GFX, CPU Cooler & SSD came from OCUK and Case from Komplett, who i took a gamble on but they delivered in 4 days so fair dues.

Off Topic: The case actually cheaper than Hardwareversand and zero shipping cost.

HAF 912 Komplett
    HAF 912 Hardwareversand

Advertisement