Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardwareversand.de vs scan.co.uk

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I suppose i should, in the interests of fairness, point out that my PSU didn't come from scan, got it from Amazon.co.uk along with my HDD (free delivery). GFX, CPU Cooler & SSD came from OCUK and Case from Komplett, who i took a gamble on but they delivered in 4 days so fair dues.

Off Topic: The case actually cheaper than Hardwareversand and zero shipping cost.

HAF 912 Komplett
    HAF 912 Hardwareversand
    so just the CPU Mobo, RAM and DVD drive from scan then i assume?

Thats hardly a comparison between Scan and HWVS, especially when you point out a only a €5 difference.

getting a "today only" Bundle from Scan doesnt compare overall prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I can see where you are coming from but i do think it is a fair comparison (normally for me, a CPU, Mobo, Ram would form the guts of an upgrade and be a valid order), just because I only got what i needed didn't mean the other prices were not competitive or better as well.

I did get more bits and bobs from Scan as well, keyboard, cables, card reader, fans. A couple of today only items but no bundle. . I could have gotten the PSU & HDD from them for slightly cheaper than Amazon but I'd already got them before I decided to do a new build rather than just upgrade. Same with the case.

The other items that came from OCUK did so because I was unable to get them from HWVS (out of stock or unavailable) or because they were cheaper .

I know its €5 more expensive but to be honest, it is only €5 for quick payment and very quick delivery which is a fiver well spent for me.

I'm not even saying Scan are better, just that it pays to check both.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

What is the deal with Scan and VAT? Does anyone have any experience of dealing with them when you are VAT registered?

I just ordered some parts today from them ex. vat. I was looking for a particular motherboard (Asus P8Z68 Deluxe) and found their site searching google. I emailed them last night and first thing this morning I had a reply saying they'd have them in today. I also asked about vat and they told me it was no problem.

In the last 2 weeks I've emailed a number of companies enquiring about the availability of the motherboard and buying ex. vat and the majority of companies didn't even reply. I was so happy that someone actually got off their ass and replied more or less straight away that I thought, well, they can have the business and I'm not pricing around anymore. I get sick **** of companies who don't reply to emails or say that you have to claim the vat back yourself, it's pure horse-****. Last time I checked this is actually legal :rolleyes:

I did give them a call late this morning to get advice on some product and the sales guy, Lee, was more than helpful, very polite and knew what he was talking about. A few more emails later with more questions from me, all replied to quickly and I had all items picked out. Invoice landed in at about 5.20 and I transfered the money to their account. I had asked him for IBAN & BIC numbers, all provided immediately.

The graphics card I wanted is out of stock but due in. I said I'd wait for it because the money will probably take a few days to appear in their account so I can wait. I'm in no rush other than the feeling you get as a child at Christmas !

Will be interesting to see how the order progresses however I do feel confident that it will be dealt with professionally. So after that, yes I do have experience with ordering ex. vat and it's been no problem at all :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will scan build the rig for you?for an extra cost of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They have their Scan 3XS systems.
    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/

There's a fairly large selection but little customisability. I'm not bowled over by their prices although they'd be cheaper than dell for gaming. They seem to be reasonably good quality and well supported and regularly include extras such as overclocking. I'd prefer the full customisability of a self build and if someone was really stuck, they should consult the volunteer list of builders (thread somewhere in this forum, if you look for it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Don't forget that if you are a member of AVForums you will receive a reduced shipping rate, you have to order over the phone though as the website doesn't process the reduced rate to Irish customers correctly.

I was quoted £2.60 delivery for a Silverstone case....best price on the web and shipping is peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I dont know is it just me but alot of items are out of stock on scan at the moment. Selection in the ati 6950 range is very poor and has been all week. And also with asus AM3 motherboards. Most annoying thing is all they say is that they are overdue or have no eta. :mad:

Advertisement