Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance / Landlord Questions

Options
  • 17-05-2011 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi

Im new to the renting game, as a landlord that is, have rented all my life but built my house and have been in it about a year or so, looking at going back to college and wanted to rent out my house while im away, I have a granny flat next to house and i will move in there and be home at weekends etc, will be doing odd jobs around the house like cutting grass painting etc so the people who do move in will have it handy lol it will be easy to keep and eye on the place if im around a bit too, but could turn people off if landlord is living close and is around on a regular basis, but i prob dont want that kind of tennant anyway...question is im getting a lot of calls regarding rent allowance, as far as i understand it the rent allowance covers x amount and then people can put some to it to make up the difference, i as a landlord have to register and declare the amount they give me pay tax etc at the end of the year minus expences for upkeep of house etc...is there much more to it than that ?? a lot of people are telling me to avoid people on rent allowance but the way the fecking country is at the moment thats a lot of people !! any advice or tips would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

snoopy_10 wrote: »
    Hi

Im new to the renting game, as a landlord that is, have rented all my life but built my house and have been in it about a year or so, looking at going back to college and wanted to rent out my house while im away, I have a granny flat next to house and i will move in there and be home at weekends etc, will be doing odd jobs around the house like cutting grass painting etc so the people who do move in will have it handy lol it will be easy to keep and eye on the place if im around a bit too, but could turn people off if landlord is living close and is around on a regular basis, but i prob dont want that kind of tennant anyway...question is im getting a lot of calls regarding rent allowance, as far as i understand it the rent allowance covers x amount and then people can put some to it to make up the difference, i as a landlord have to register and declare the amount they give me pay tax etc at the end of the year minus expences for upkeep of house etc...is there much more to it than that ?? a lot of people are telling me to avoid people on rent allowance but the way the fecking country is at the moment thats a lot of people !! any advice or tips would be great thanks

You need to read the Tenancy Act, especially regarding the rights of tenants to privacy and the rules re landlord access to house and gardens.

No way would we rent any place like this and many here would say the same.

This and other relevant issues can be found at Threshold.. Enjoy their web site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 snoopy_10

I think you may have picked me up wrong...I would always respect tenants right to privacy and house inspections would be carried out at agreed times etc this is what I used to do when I was renting...in terms of the garden etc I would have the lawns cut for the tenants on a regular basis again agreed at the start...I suppose this setup would not appeal to everyone...but I guess ill have to wait for the right people to come along that are a bit flexible and laid back like myself...I have downloaded that act and will go thro it thanks for the link…you said you would not rent a place like this is this because the landlord lives on site ? and you reckon this would put people off etc ?
    maybe the rent a room scheme could be the way to go for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Is this granny flat totally self containted? Does it have it's own entrance? Different postal address, bathroom, kitchen, clothes washing facilities? Is there a connecting door from the flat to the main house? You should speak with someone at the PRTB to make sure it counts as a private rental and doesn't fall under rent a room if your going to be living there as well.

Frankly it's a hard sell. I've seen people rent out Granny flats before [mainly to students] but not the other way around.

ok the granny flat is totally seperate from the house, it is a converted double garage, kitchen dining area living area, seperate utility room, bathroom and 1 double bedroom with up stairs left open for storage...fully insulated with wood stove and electric heaters just in case...looking to get rent of 500pm for it...might be better to rent that, at least then i have rear garden and use of grounds to myself...i have space allocated for parking for granny flat and small patio area and area for washing line etc...i spent many years renting granny flats and this one has been laid out with that in mind...all applicances etc new fitted kitchen....a mini house if you like...its just myself so thats why i thougth i would rent out the house and move in there myself...had a few people looking at the house and they didnt seem to mind the fact i would be living there too...house would be same high spec A2 rated etc...a little confused now...

what is the deal with renting rooms out and rent allowance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

pm sent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    pm sent:)

TY;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ChrissySarah

Let me know if you're thinking of renting out the granny flat :) looking to move out in the next two months

Advertisement