Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will science in ucd go up

Options
  • 17-05-2011 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

In the CAO?Possibly,it depends on how many apply.Science is seen as a place where there are jobs so probably.

I think it jumped by 80 last year,it's unlikely to go up that much again.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I can't see it uping as much has it has in the past number of years but seeing as it is general entry it's harder to call. Methinks that if it will go up, it will be by 5/10 points...

Science is seen as a place where there are jobs so probably.

If only there were jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Nobody can actually give an answer to that question. It may or may not go up, there's no way of knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I'd say if it were to drop it would go to 420. In reality though (judging on the resent surge in demand for science), I'd say it should between 440 and 465 (couldn't see it going any higher than that).

• Advertisement

Science is seen as a place where there are jobs so probably.

Or so the government propaganda machine says. Even if there are jobs or not, people are choosing science more nowadays as opposed to the conventional Arts or Humanities degrees, which for years have been seen as non-professional degrees that give students a broader choice for future study rather than degrees that are geared towards specific careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If it does go up, by its own hypothesis it must come down.

...people are choosing science more nowadays...give students a broader choice for future study rather than degrees that are geared towards specific careers.

Alas, thanks to the careerists driving up the points, people who want to do science for the love of it are being driven out. I know if I was to apply last year, I wouldn't have gotten into science, despite being rather good at it.

Many of the current fourth years hate the other undergrad years, as many for them are not in it for the right reasons at all, they don't have the love of science...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

To paraphrase Ron Atkinson: it could go up, it could go down and it might also stay the same

My guess is it will do all of those things simultaneously

My guess is it will do all of those things simultaneously

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I would imagine similar proportions will go for science this year, as last year but obviously I don't know.
    Two factors that you would could consider are 1) Is this another record year for CAO applications? 2) There is pressure being put on UCD departments, despite cuts, to take on more and more students on to their programs, which could work out well for you.

You'll never know how many applied for science but you could probably find out how many applied total and if there are more spaces this year in science and get a vague idea from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

I've a mate who works in the CAO, he says Science in UCD is likely to go up substantially this year, you could be looking at around 505/510

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

LUPE wrote: »
    I've a mate who works in the CAO, he says Science in UCD is likely to go up substantially this year, you could be looking at around 505/510

No one can know that, Leaving Cert hasn't even taken place

What? For omnibus science in UCD? Never in my lifetime anyway. It'll most likely be between 450 and 470 - no higher than that though.

Your friend is talking shíte. Nobody at all knows what will happen as the LC has not even happened yet. Sure they conceivably jump massively but it is all conjecture.

It's an estimate based on the amount of applications so far, assuming that there is not a huge sway in average points attained by students, there is likely to be a significant increase in points required for omnibus science in UCD on first round.

This is what the CAO are telling me; yes there are a couple of variables here but these estimates they do each year are invariably quite accurate.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I know its kind of crap to hear now (assuming you've applied to the CAO for this year?) but all you can do is your best and put your CAO in order of preference as opposed to courses you think are achievable. If the points go up, such is life but I wouldn't be relying on them going down because at the very least they'll stay set but will prob go up. Get studyin' :)

It's an estimate based on the amount of applications so far, assuming that there is not a huge sway in average points attained by students, there is likely to be a significant increase in points required for omnibus science in UCD on first round.

This is what the CAO are telling me; yes there are a couple of variables here but these estimates they do each year are invariably quite accurate.

Hope this helps

No, it doesn't help because usually Chinese whispers aren't the most reliably source of information. If you cannot provide a link to a source (reliable website, cited article, etc..) where these "estimates" are published then what "your friend" said is relatively invalid, no offense intended.

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make regarding chinese whispers, maybe you could clear that up.

AFAIK these estimates aren't published at the moment, at least until the final change of mind deadline has passed. To publish these before that deadline may have negative effects on students performance in the LC or tempt them to change their application on the basis of what they expect themselves to get, which we all know is not the right way to do it.

I'm only repeating what I've heard from a source in the know. I'm pretty sure that you are not the OP and thus I doubt it is helpful to them when you disregard people who try to help them, as ultimately they are the one who will know whether or not advice is helpful to them. No offense

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I'm only repeating what I've heard from a source in the know.

Hence, chinese whispers.
    I'm pretty sure that you are not the OP and thus I doubt it is helpful to them when you disregard people who try to help them, as ultimately they are the one who will know whether or not advice is helpful to them. No offense

Pointing out to the OP that your 'information' is unreliable and hence useless is extremely helpful imo.

• Advertisement

I'm only repeating what I've heard from a source in the know. I'm pretty sure that you are not the OP and thus I doubt it is helpful to them when you disregard people who try to help them, as ultimately they are the one who will know whether or not advice is helpful to them. No offense

All universities and the CAO would advise the OP to ignore rumours like the one you are spreading here. All it does is cause hysteria. Just pick the courses you want to do in order of preference and then wait to see what happens. Until it happens, it is just mindless speculation.

The OP asked a question which could only be answered with the help of a certain amount of speculating. Others have speculated on the basis of nothing, yet they have not received the same condemnation. So if none of us are to speculate, fair enough. However, if we do then we should all receive the same reaction.

In short, jog on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I also heard medicine is going plummet and will be around 445.....

The OP asked a question which could only be answered with the help of a certain amount of speculating. Others have speculated on the basis of nothing, yet they have not received the same condemnation. So if none of us are to speculate, fair enough. However, if we do then we should all receive the same reaction.

In short, jog on

I've been working the phones at the Student Desk in UCD on the day the LC results have came out the last few years. I have heard people crying on the phone to me because of advice like yours. So forgive me if I don't "jog on".

I've been working the phones at the Student Desk in UCD on the day the LC results have came out the last few years. I have heard people crying on the phone to me because of advice like yours. So forgive me if I don't "jog on".

Excuse me, how is the advice I have given any different to that of the others who also speculated as to possible points ranges? Why is mine being singled out?

Get off your high horse, nobody cares about your job.

Excuse me, how is the advice I have given any different to that of the others who also speculated as to possible points ranges? Why is mine being singled out?

Get off your high horse, nobody cares about your job.

Because you, seemingly, don't have first hand experience in the matter.

Because you, seemingly, don't have first hand experience in the matter.

Well I didn't ask you, but...

Who else has experience in the matter then? You made an estimate as to how many points it would be? Surely this is harmful and dangerous given that nobody knows the exact points requirement yet and if taken to heart could potentially ruin someone's life and drive them to ringing up some helpdesk? Because that's what I'm getting grief for yet no one else is.

Well I didn't ask you, but...

Who else has experience in the matter then? You made an estimate as to how many points it would be? Surely this is harmful and dangerous given that nobody knows the exact points requirement yet and if taken to heart could potentially ruin someone's life and drive them to ringing up some helpdesk? Because that's what I'm getting grief for yet no one else is.

My estimates are based on back-of-the-envelope statistical analysis of points trends from previous years. Your estimates are based on something you apparently heard from a friend, the methodology of his/her estimations are unknown to us as they have not been published. While my estimations aren't 100% accurate they are slightly more reliable than what you heard "from a friend" who we can't verify here as being a real person or who's methodology is not yet known as it is not yet published. With me at I have something to show the OP by comparing points trends from previous years, with you the OP just has to take your word for it.

My estimates are based on back-of-the-envelope statistical analysis of points trends from previous years. Your estimates are based on something you apparently heard from a friend, the methodology of his/her estimations are unknown to us as they have not been published. While my estimations aren't 100% accurate they are slightly more reliable than what you heard "from a friend" who we can't verify here as being a real person or who's methodology is not yet known as it is not yet published. With me at I have something to show the OP by comparing points trends from previous years, with you the OP just has to take your word for it.

Load of waffle. You can't know more than anyone else about this year's points just by basing it on previous years points. In addition to this, the skepticism that you hold towards my source could equally be applied to you.

• Advertisement

Load of waffle. You can't know more than anyone else about this year's points just by basing it on previous years points. In addition to this, the skepticism that you hold towards my source could equally be applied to you.

Not really, for a lot of courses, points remain relatively similar to previous years give or take a few points. For instance you could say with a relative degree of certainty that Arts with be between 350 and 380 this year and that it won't jump up to the points usually required for medicine, etc.. These are based on trends. You base your assumption "someone you know" and we've expected to take your word for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement