Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Eircom throttle BB speeds?

Options
  • 17-05-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Title says it all really. Does eircom throttle BB speeds for any reason? Getting very low less then half my usual speeds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I think so.

Either they are having technical problems or they are throttling speeds, because I can't even load a youtube video anymore.

Something is definitely up.

1300551175.png

That's not what I'm paying for.

Any response from the lads that work there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Title says it all really. Does eircom throttle BB speeds for any reason? Getting very low less then half my usual speeds.

Hi Gonzo_Reporter

no speeds are not throttled by eircom. If you PM m eyour tel. no I can run some tests for you and hopefully help.
    Tony

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I think so.

Either they are having technical problems or they are throttling speeds, because I can't even load a youtube video anymore.

Something is definitely up.

1300551175.png

That's not what I'm paying for.

Hi DOC09UNAM
    if you PM me your tel number I can run some tests on your line also and should have some feedback for you tomorrow.
    Tony

Hi DOC09UNAM
    if you PM me your tel number I can run some tests on your line also and should have some feedback for you tomorrow.
    Tony

I sent ya the PM there Tony! :)

• Advertisement

I sent ya the PM there Tony! :)

Hi DOCO9UNAM
    Have your details now and will update you later today.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Well I was getting 1/11th of my normal upload speeds for a day or 2. Was annoying but since then it's been perfect. They obviously have the ability to throttle , but I don't imagine they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 izzydumpling

Hi - just a quick question on this also. We had started using vodafone suresignnal so we could answer our mobile phone at home - it was working like a good un. Our eircom broadband speed then dropped significantly and has stayed that way for a number of weeks so we can no longer use this service (I assume other customers have been connected between us and the exchange) as it requires a certain minimum speed.

We are paying the same but less speed so we cannot use the service as we wish - eircom refuse to "boost" the speed as apparently the speed received is some kind of magic (nought to do with science or physics)! Its like buying a pint of milk but the amount of milk actually in the can is random - WHY?? How can they sell this service with no guarantees of actually quality of service?

Hi - just a quick question on this also. We had started using vodafone suresignnal so we could answer our mobile phone at home - it was working like a good un. Our eircom broadband speed then dropped significantly and has stayed that way for a number of weeks so we can no longer use this service (I assume other customers have been connected between us and the exchange) as it requires a certain minimum speed.

We are paying the same but less speed so we cannot use the service as we wish - eircom refuse to "boost" the speed as apparently the speed received is some kind of magic (nought to do with science or physics)! Its like buying a pint of milk but the amount of milk actually in the can is random - WHY?? How can they sell this service with no guarantees of actually quality of service?

Hi izzydumpling
    you should give our broadband technical support a call on 1890260260 to report this. Did the drop in speed happen immediately after engaging suresignnal?
    If you DM me your line no I can test your broadband signal but if with Vodafone wil not have access to your line details.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as a few of the previous posters. I'm on the 7mb package and over the past few weeks, I'm getting terrible speeds.

1271028398.png
    1297069824.png
    1303585153.png

I can barely load a youtube video now. Some webpages take ages to load too.

The connection was great up until a few weeks ago, but since then it has been poor.

• Advertisement

I rang them up and seemed the issue was a my splitter.

They got me to plug the modem in directly without using the splitter and leave it for ten minutes while he did some tests, and they are sending out a new splitter for me.

I'm using the old splitter at the moment while waiting for the new one and it seems to have gone back to normal somewhat, might be something to try?

If not I'd ring the tech line, they were very helpful to me yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

I rang them up and seemed the issue was a my splitter.

They got me to plug the modem in directly without using the splitter and leave it for ten minutes while he did some tests, and they are sending out a new splitter for me.

I'm using the old splitter at the moment while waiting for the new one and it seems to have gone back to normal somewhat, might be something to try?

If not I'd ring the tech line, they were very helpful to me yesterday!

Personally I suspect eircom made some network changes. Internet was down here even though the modem said otherwise. I powered off and on the modem, and all is as it was.

I suggest those with an issue try the same. Surprised Eircom didn't suggest that from the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

Despite what they say, they do throttle your BB. Just look at the contention ratios, and the poor speed packages on offer. Ireland's infrastructure is not up to the job of modern Internet demand (video, music, games networks etc.). If eircom, and all the others didn't restrict speeds and make people share connections (contention) there would not be enough capacity for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

nobody3 wrote: »
    Despite what they say, they do throttle your BB. Just look at the contention ratios, and the poor speed packages on offer. Ireland's infrastructure is not up to the job of modern Internet demand (video, music, games networks etc.). If eircom, and all the others didn't restrict speeds and make people share connections (contention) there would not be enough capacity for everyone.

Hi nobody3,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards. Let me know if I can help you with your eircom broadband connection.

Just on the subject of throttling a connection, whether on your own LAN or over the Net, it is sometimes a useful tool.

Internet providers throughout most of europe will monitor their broadband. It sounds worse than it is and is not used as a form of cap. Throttling may be a useful tool in certain intances, particularly with Local Area Network; where there may be traffic flow problems - Most LAN administrators will need to throttle their mail queues from time to time for example, This then allows the relay servers to function more efficiently once they are flushed. So it is not always a bad thing, and it's not exclusive to ISP's or LAN admins in Ireland.

Found the following in Wikipedia, which may be helpful in understanding why throttling may be useful.

Bandwidth throttling is a reactive measure employed in communication networks to regulate network traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion. Bandwidth throttling can occur at different locations on the network. On a local area network (LAN), a web administrator may employ bandwidth throttling to help limit network congestion and server crashes. On a broader level, the Internet Service Provider may use bandwidth throttling to help reduce a user's usage of bandwidth that is supplied to the local network. This can be used to actively limit a user's upload and download rates on programs such as BitTorrent protocols and other file sharing applications, as well as even out the usage of the total bandwidth supplied across all users on the network. Bandwidth throttling is also often used in Internet applications, in order to spread a load over a wider network to reduce local network congestion, or over a number of servers to avoid overloading individual ones, and so reduce their risk of crashing.

All the best,
    Ant

Advertisement