Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bmus 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I understand the matriculation requirements are 2 HLC3s and to pass everything else. I'm repeating the leaving, and I easily got this last year. Can I use last years results to get into the BMus?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quaverlou

Don't Forget to join the music society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Indeed. The facilities will be great there, top of the line vintage and analogue gear. Waiting to hear back, if I got in.

It's drum theory and focuses on drumming for two years which is cool but I'd like to learn melodic theory/piano/keyboard skills for my own compositions also.

I'm in DKIT at the moment, I should really have chosen music there but I'm finished first year computing. Got a 2:1 in first year but in second semester all I was interested in was the music/creative side of the college as I had the most in common with those students, really can't see myself doing computing next year with 4 repeats to progress. It's not that I'm not able to do the work as my 2:1 showed, my heart isn't in it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

So is it possible to do the performance assesment on drums and if accepted just play guitar, piano or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

flyswatter wrote: »
    So is it possible to do the performance assesment on drums and if accepted just play guitar, piano or whatever?

The course is aimed at classical/trad music really and I havn't heard of anybody in the last few years being accepted on drums, percussion yes, but I could be wrong.
    When you enter the course, and if you are eligible for first performance (you must have at least a grade 6 on your chosen instrument, or if you don't have that, but still wish to do performance, you must pass the audition held in early September), you can decide the instrument you study for the performance class. Though bear in mind, for your first year exam at the end of the year, you are expected to be of at least grade 6 standard.
    If you decide that maybe that isn't for you, or you do not pass the performance audition, you must study do group piano instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I am just entering 3rd year BMus, and there is a drummer on our course. He played drums for his entrance exam (had done drumming grades) and played drums only for his first year performance exam also.

At that point, he was told to branch out, and had to take up percussion...so his second year solo performance exam and ensemble exam had to include xylophone. He coped very well.

I would imagine that whatever instrument you audition with has to be your first instrument should you be accepted. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

sadie06 wrote: »
    I am just entering 3rd year BMus, and there is a drummer on our course. He played drums for his entrance exam (had done drumming grades) and played drums only for his first year performance exam also.

At that point, he was told to branch out, and had to take up percussion...so his second year solo performance exam and ensemble exam had to include xylophone. He coped very well.

I would imagine that whatever instrument you audition with has to be your first instrument should you be accepted. I could be wrong though.

Forgot about him actually, one of the best performance classes this year :D
    though I do know people that are doing their second instrument for the performance exam at the end of the year.

Advertisement