Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Plus Sofa - Tear in Sofa

Options
  • 17-05-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

My parents bought a sofa in October of last year and subsequently found a tear in the arm in early January. They then notified the store and gave a €50 payment (refundable) to find out whether the tear was our fault or if it was a faulty couch.
    They got back to us weeks later saying the tear was their responsibility and that a replacement arm would be sent out shortly; this replacement came in March and didnt match the couch we bought and the technician who came to replace the piece said that we would never get an arm that would actually match the original.
    After this the store then said a replacement would happen and a cheque would be with us last Thursday (12th May) and NOW they're saying we're not entitled to a refund and a replacement will be on its way but to be honest this has gone on far too long already and all my parents want is a refund and to have no further dealings with them.

I've spoken to the sevrices department, been hung up on twice (and no I wasnt getting irate or rude) and then the store manager who tells me he cant give a refund its up to the MD of the company as he signs the cheques...sure..and he also has no alternate number for me to ring as he uses the public customer services number when he has a problem too...totally believable story eh?

And I have spoken to the NCA who say that we are entitled to a refund as its gone beyond a reasonable amount of time to supply a replacement. Just wondering has anyone had any similar dealings with them, and what was the resolution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Friends of ours are in the exact same situation. However they got replacement and now its torn. In the case of the first the colour ran in the leather.

I will let you know how they get on. This is an interesting one. They got a tele "Free" when they bought the sitting room package so are now argueing along the lines of money back and they keep the tele as it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

I seem to be coming across a few stories about them now alright, why is it only after something happens I think of looking for reviews? Lesson has been learnt this time though! And I'd def appreciate being kept in the loop with your friends story!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Hi, have same problem and this is the replacement seat. To make a long story short. l first bought 2+3 leather seats from 4homes in late 2008, 6 mths later in 2009 the seats started to tear on the seating area and with 4homes closed down, got in contact with the sale rep, had alot of troubles and alot of phones call from him and the furniture supplier, the seats were replaced (not the same model but they claim is an expensive model) and l was happy with it. 12 mths later, last nov, same problem was happening again, l have notify the sale rep and the furniture suppliers about it. Now when l ring the rep, l'm only getting voice mail, (he did call out to see the seats) and when i ring the suppliers, they keep giving me excuses or they say l have to get in touch with the rep. At this stage, the seats are very bad, l have to cover them with blankets and also cannot get in touch with any of them. Its a NIGHTMARE! What do l do next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

They got a tele "Free" when they bought the sitting room package so are now argueing along the lines of money back and they keep the tele as it was free.

Television was never free - it was included in a "Package". There was a thread on this as many people though it was free, but it was just the way the adverts were written and the assumption that because it was included that it was free.

A fair few people double checked all the adverts and no-where was the word "free" mentioned.

Clever marketing though. - Girl wants to pick colour, guy says no problem but pick it in cost plus because he gets the 50" tv that he wouldn't have got or bought otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

Katy I think the next step might be sending on a letter of complaint, you can find some templates on the National Consumer Agency website, and then if that comes to nothing I'd go to the small claims court; thats the route I think we're just going to have to do that its SO frustrating though I'm so sick of the constant lies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

pippin04 wrote: »
    Katy I think the next step might be sending on a letter of complaint, you can find some templates on the National Consumer Agency website, and then if that comes to nothing I'd go to the small claims court; thats the route I think we're just going to have to do that its SO frustrating though I'm so sick of the constant lies!

That l will have to do, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Family of mine had same problem with Cost Plus Sofa. They eventually went through the small claim court and had success and after a few months eventually received the cheque.

Small Claims Court (in Limerick though) had loads of dealings with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Friends of ours are in the exact same situation. However they got replacement and now its torn. In the case of the first the colour ran in the leather.

I will let you know how they get on. This is an interesting one. They got a tele "Free" when they bought the sitting room package so are now argueing along the lines of money back and they keep the tele as it was free.

Threads on here about the "free" tv. Was never free. You paid for it in the cost of the package.

I think the thread was in Bargain Alerts. Was the same issue about a "free" iPad

• Registered Users Posts: 15 claytho

Wake up,,, of course they wont be able to keep the tv... they might have got it "free" but I bet you a million euro the company didnt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement