Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing for a swim at Blackrock

Options
  • 17-05-2011 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

On and off over the years in the summer I have gone for an early morning swim at Blackrock. It is quite common for people (mainly men, but I have seen the occasional woman) to basically get changed without wrapping a towel about themselves--this doesn't bother me (a middle aged woman) as long as I think that they are just getting changed and not being "exhibitionist"--recently when i suggested to a girl that works with me that we might go along there for a swim some morning soon she said she wouldn't because of the fact that some people change "immodestly". What's the general opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Life's too short to worry about these things imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Occasional women getting changed without wrapping a towel about themselves?
    I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Tell her its free. Hee. No I understand but dunno what to tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

exactly.

also, by wrapping a towel around yourself, then wriggling and writhing to actually get changed, you draw way more attention to you than just getting on with it. Usually, other people's bodies aren't really all that interesting unless you make a holy show of yourself....

(I noticed this a lot in gym changing rooms, too - do Irish people get taught a poor self-image and exaggerated, warped sense of perceived "modesty" in school or is it passed on through the church and parents? It baffles me to this day - and I still find it hard to accept that topless sunbathing is such a big no-no here...silly...)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

galah wrote: »
    exactly.

also, by wrapping a towel around yourself, then wriggling and writhing to actually get changed, you draw way more attention to you than just getting on with it. Usually, other people's bodies aren't really all that interesting unless you make a holy show of yourself....

(I noticed this a lot in gym changing rooms, too - do Irish people get taught a poor self-image and exaggerated, warped sense of perceived "modesty" in school or is it passed on through the church and parents? It baffles me to this day - and I still find it hard to accept that topless sunbathing is such a big no-no here...silly...)

I am all in favour of topless sunbathing... unless the bird in question has **** tits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ATMW

Ficheall wrote: »
    Occasional women getting changed without wrapping a towel about themselves?
    I'm there.

Like the vast majority of the men I have seen doing the towelless change, the vast majority of the women would be "past their prime" so to speak, so you would want to be pretty desperate to go along for those reasons!! Also--it is a quick change--I have never seen anyone male or female dancing about naked.

yeehaw wrote: »
    I am all in favour of topless sunbathing... unless the bird in question has **** tits

Its statements like that that put women off sunbathing topless.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

ATMW wrote: »
    Its statements like that that put women off sunbathing topless.

Only the ones with **** tits... and if that is who I am putting off then great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

yeehaw wrote: »
    Only the ones with **** tits... and if that is who I am putting off then great.
    No, the ones with the sensational tits cos they know the likes of you are leering at them from behind a bush with your keks around your ankles

McTigs wrote: »
    No, the ones with the sensational tits cos they know the likes of you are leering at them from behind a bush with your keks around your ankles

Whilst it is not how I would have put it myself I agree with McTigs, but is there any chance that someone will answer the original question??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd say it takes all sorts. Some women go with a friend to do the old fashioned 'hold a towel up' for each other if they need a screen. People always seem to be laid back there, even the towel contortionists. Leery feckers can be anywhere, but haven't noticed them particularly there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My response: get over it! (To really appreciate this, you need to know the exasperated tone that was used for this phrase in a series of TV ads in my country maybe 10 years ago ... )

(I noticed this a lot in gym changing rooms, too - do Irish people get taught a poor self-image and exaggerated, warped sense of perceived "modesty" in school or is it passed on through the church and parents?

+1 to this. I think it's both. It's the sort of behaviour you'd expect from pre-pubescent teens, not adults, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've been swimming at Blackrock for, oh god, I hate to admit, but about 18 years now.

Since the day I began swimming there, to this day, I use a towel when changing. Why? Because it's a public area, with all walks of life and all ages of people.

For those who reckon 'just be natural', i'd dare you to use that excuse if brought in-front of a judge for 'exposing' yourself in a public area (and god help you if there were minors in the vicinity at the time).

Long and short of it, when in a public area, keep yourself in a decent state. I'm not saying it's the 'natural' thing, but it'll keep you out of jail/conviction!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeehaw, you win a holiday for making crude **** jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

For goodness sake, this is ridiculous. I will happily stand there naked while changing my clothes and it's not about being an exhibitionist, it's about the fact that you have to remove clothes to put on others and im not ashamed of my nudity. We're all naked underneath and I don't care if people see my bits or I see other people's and tbh I think if someone has a problem with that well then they have some warped sense of decency or body image or something. To miss out on the pleasure of swimming for fear that someone will see parts of your body or you'll see parts of theirs is completely insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 onmyperiod

biko wrote: »
    Yeehaw, you win a holiday for making crude **** jokes.

Just read this now- this yeehaw sounds like a typical man- sickening. Well done biko.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

onmyperiod wrote: »
    Just read this now- this yeehaw sounds like a typical man- sickening. Well done biko.

What a silly thing to say. Should all men be banned?

gandroid wrote: »
    What a silly thing to say. Should all men be banned?

look at the username. Looks like trolling to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It baffles me to this day - and I still find it hard to accept that topless sunbathing is such a big no-no here...silly...)

It's a big no-no because it's too bloody cold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

onmyperiod or yeehaw won't be joining us again.
    Re-regging to get around temp ban = permban.

Now back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Kevo won't like that.

16012008_kevin-keegan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Long and short of it, when in a public area, keep yourself in a decent state. I'm not saying it's the 'natural' thing, but it'll keep you out of jail/conviction!

Though possibly OTT for the quick change at Blackrock scenario, this is good advice in general.

Frankly, though, if the guards wanted to clean up on public decency, they'd do better to start with lads pissing in the street than people going swimming.

my 2c.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

gym-guys.png?w=489&h=700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I have been at various beaches and it can be hard enough to cover yourself with a towel and pull off wet togs without letting something show if you are standing up. If I am going to reveal everything it would be my rear :o

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

time to buy a http://www.robierobes.com/

available at all good watersports shops and schools...

handy for changing and excellent in the winter to keep warm...
    D

ir555 wrote: »
    time to buy a http://www.robierobes.com/

available at all good watersports shops and schools...

handy for changing and excellent in the winter to keep warm...
    D

Or buy a nice big granny dress in a second hand shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

ATMW wrote: »
    On and off over the years in the summer I have gone for an early morning swim at Blackrock. It is quite common for people (mainly men, but I have seen the occasional woman) to basically get changed without wrapping a towel about themselves--this doesn't bother me (a middle aged woman) as long as I think that they are just getting changed and not being "exhibitionist"--recently when i suggested to a girl that works with me that we might go along there for a swim some morning soon she said she wouldn't because of the fact that some people change "immodestly". What's the general opinion?

Down with that kind of thing!such jezabels should be placed in a magdalene. in the good old days women could not swim there but were required to swim at Tra na mBan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

onmyperiod wrote: »
    LOL at post and username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Down with that kind of thing!such jezabels should be placed in a magdalene. in the good old days women could not swim there but were required to swim at Tra na mBan

And apparently there was one woman who defied that 'rule' and swam at Blackrock with the men, oooooooooooh such immoral behaviour:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

And apparently there was one woman who defied that 'rule' and swam at Blackrock with the men, oooooooooooh such immoral behaviour:eek:
    Source?:p

Advertisement