Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance and tax number

Options
  • 17-05-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Am heading over to sydney in june and was wondering in terms of medical insurance what did most people get going over. Am going on the whv for the year did people just get travel insurance as i was onto vhi during the week and there global policy is €78 a month which seems way too expensive.

Also is it possible to get your tax number before you go out as i was looking online and it seems to state that you have to be in australia before you can apply for it.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Doodaas wrote: »
    Am heading over to sydney in june and was wondering in terms of medical insurance what did most people get going over. Am going on the whv for the year did people just get travel insurance as i was onto vhi during the week and there global policy is €78 a month which seems way too expensive.
    I too am heading in June.
    From my research Australia and Ireland have reciprocal medical insurance so once you produce your Irish passport you're fine. (be great if someone can confirm this)
    I'm with VHI normally, however I will be switching over to their global policy. Reasons: If I leave them-when I come back I am regarded as a new entrant. Also god forbid I got an illness, VHI wouldn't recognise it for five years.
    Also is it possible to get your tax number before you go out as i was looking online and it seems to state that you have to be in australia before you can apply for it.
    I too would like to know the answer to this question! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

heading soon also, 78 euro is very dear. and yes you do have to be in Australia to activate your tax file number.

MAPFRE INSURANCE 400 for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Im heading to Perth in September, im with Quinn Health for insurance, so my policy here would be worthless in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

Hi all,

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Take a look at this forum Doodaas you will find good advice on here about all things Australian
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1005520

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

A+E is free with an Irish passport, broke my arm a few months ago and the initial visit and all follow ups/xrays were all free of charge. Never even asked to see my passport at any time, every time I went they asked how I was paying and I just said I was Irish and that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Wouldn't worry about the tax file either, doesn't take long once you apply and if you explain to an employer that your're awaiting it its usually fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

While the reciprocal health agreement covers emergency hospital treatment, TRAVEL insurance would be an addition that I would advise if coming over for a year on a holiday visa.

My prices would be outdated I'm sure but this is what I paid for a year's travel insurance policy 2 years ago - E133.28 with Getcover.com, covered me for everything I wanted (transport back to ireland in case of accident/death, death/loss of limbs payout etc, a steady income each day if i ended up hospitalised) Especially the last one is very important, my friend severed a tendon while moving furniture and ended up needed 2 surgeries and in hospital for 3 weeks as the wound got infected, surgery was free but he ended up with no income for 7 or 8 weeks.

Check around and see what different companies are offering on their policies

Health insurance for non residents in Australia is VERY expensive.

That's all i can really contribute

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    A+E is free with an Irish passport, broke my arm a few months ago and the initial visit and all follow ups/xrays were all free of charge. Never even asked to see my passport at any time, every time I went they asked how I was paying and I just said I was Irish and that was it.
    Your right Eoghan...just found this link
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no need to get a tax number at home, you aren't going to get work that quickly, you prob won't even look. Plus you can start before you have it anyway.

As for insurance, passprt covers somethings, but not doctors visits or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Reciprocal healthcare agreement between Ireland and Australia covers you for emergencies. It does not cover elective procedures. It also does not cover ambulance charges.

Here's a link to what's involved:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

Ambulances in Victoria are not free. (I'm not sure of the position in other states, but I'm pretty sure there are charges involved elsewhere too.)

Here is a summary of the fees and charges if you call an ambulance for yourself, or if a bystander calls an ambulance because you're unable to, in Victoria.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ambulance/fees.htm

So in other words:

Break a limb, get yourself to the emergency department - free treatment, investigations, so on.

Be involved in a car accident, get taken to the emergency department by ambulance: you're liable for the ambulance fee, but can get free treatment, investigations, so on.

Get recurring tonsillitis and need your tonsils out: you're entitled to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Doodaas

Hi all,

Thanks for all the information really appreciate it.

Regards

Doodaas:)

Advertisement