Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who listens to DAB?

• 17-05-2011 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I couldn't find a recent thread on DAB in Ireland so I was just wondering; do any of you listen to digital radio in Ireland? What are your thoughts on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I do, it use to be better when the commercial Irish stations use to broadcast on it and I am still pissed off I can't get the BBC channels on it. I would mainly listen to the RTE Choice channel for the round the world news reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Nope. Used to listen to Pulse when they'd wall-to-wall music all day, now it's just repeats of live or as-live programming with far too many links full of waffling.
    Listen to internet radio now, I find Spanish station Loca FM is excellent for electronica and house music during the day. BBC stations also have high quality streaming which I occasionally listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kevin joyce

Dab is not needed in this country, sure fm is good enough. Joe bloggs doesnt have a clue whats the difference between dab internet radio shortwave ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brjansson

Dab is not needed in this country, sure fm is good enough.

It won't be soon; the EU is making all radio go digital in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

And its a good medium for increasing listener choice.

Or it would be if the BAI would get their finger out and allow it to develop.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

alinton wrote: »
    And its a good medium for increasing listener choice.

Or it would be if the BAI would get their finger out and allow it to develop.

A.
    Ah yeah, listener choice! Pity that doesn't mean better quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kevin joyce

brjansson wrote: »
    It won't be soon; the EU is making all radio go digital in a few years.

The eu is planning no such thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

If I require some alternative oldies RTE Gold delivers with non-stop music.
    RTE 2XFM also has interesting shows - John Kelly Sat.7PM as an example.
    DAB should be delivering more choice especially when you consider that RTE 1 Extra seems to only be an alternative to RTE 1 come evening time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I live in the North and I can get a good selection of stations, including all the BBC stations, Downtown Radio and Q102.9. I can get the RTÉ stations too, but only if I climb to the top of Sliabh Pádraig.

I'm just glad I can get the RTÉ stations on FM and Today FM with some twisting of the aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I would listen to the digital channels occasionally but not through a conventional DAB tuner but through the RTE Pocket player for iPhone.

I can't see DAB surviving in this country, it's already been superceded by an unforseen challenger back when DAB was created...the Internet... and more specifically Apps for smartphones. Of course cost is a factor but I see this not being an obstacle in the near to medium future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

If you are in the Greater Dublin Area, the eastern Midlands, in the North East Cork City Area or Limerick Area you should be able to receive 10 RTE DAB stations

If you are in the South East you will be able to receive 12 DAB/DAB+ stations (1 RTE DAB station)

If you are in the North East Coast and near to the border you should be able to pick up the RTE DAB stations 100%, BBC digital stations very clearly too, (around 40% but it is acceptable quality) broadcasting from Armagh and if you live near the Irish Sea Coast you can pick you over 20 DAB stations from Lancaster in England (~10 National & ~ 10 Local) though you will need a booster on your radio or a roof aerial to receive this signal.
    This could be the case in Dublin and East coast from Wales but I'm not a 100% sure of this one.

If you live near Enniskillen there is a low powered DAB mast broadcasting from there though the surround area is very hilly so reception is not guaranteed

Other areas like around Derry etc should be able to get BBC DAB

If you are in the South East you might be able to pick up stations from Wales too though you might need an aerial or booster.

When the analogue TV is shut down both here and the north there will be more "room" for DAB radio and the stations in the North will broadcast more stations and with more power so more people near the border should be able to pick DAB stations (around 20) from the North post-2012 DSO

The reason why RTE did not roll out DAB across the country was because the private sector didn't come up with the money for the there DAB roll out because of the down turn and it was felt that this was "unfair" to the private sector and that RTE would be too dominated in the DAB sector and because of RTE cutbacks and the cost of saorview roll out.

This is the same reason why saorview doesn't have as many channels as in Britain

Since they have waited so late they probably and just go for DAB+ as it is far better than DAB

DAB radio apart from the FM stations on DAB don't really make much sense it's like Digital television the more stations the more c**p
    Most DAB stations are just an ipod shuffle basically so they don't make much sense.
    Not sure what the whole "excitement" is about. Like who really cares

In London you have over 50 DAB stations but most of them are useless the same with having 50+ Freeview channels most of them you will never watch so whats the point?
    Though the traffic station is helpful

I know it frees up the FM bandwidth for other uses, but apart from that it's pointless

Since the downturn and the cost to switchover is alot this switchover will most likely take sometime around 2020 maybe??
    Hope that this helps

Here is a link to DAB in Ireland
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAB_in_Ireland
    http://www.digitalradioltd.com/rte-expand-dab/
    http://www.digitalradioltd.com/rte-expand-dab/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dab is not needed in this country, sure fm is good enough. Joe bloggs doesnt have a clue whats the difference between dab internet radio shortwave ect

1923%20Meepon.jpg

Sure, we should all be listening on these. Light the gas there's a dear chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

rte choice is really good, lots of broadcasts from bbc and around the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Big Tone wrote: »
    I would listen to the digital channels occasionally but not through a conventional DAB tuner but through the RTE Pocket player for iPhone.

I can't see DAB surviving in this country, it's already been superceded by an unforseen challenger back when DAB was created...the Internet... and more specifically Apps for smartphones. Of course cost is a factor but I see this not being an obstacle in the near to medium future.

Hopefully we see some pirate radio - there is already a DAB open source solution;
    http://www.opendigitalradio.org/index.php/Main_Page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I think there's one market where DAB still has a chance and that's in car headunits. Personally I'd prefer if we went down the road of satellite radio or possibly even 3G connections to headunits to allow us to listen to radio over the net in our vehicles.

Mmm..BBC Radio 1 in the car..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I have a DAB and can honestly say I have never listened to it. I also have a wifi radio, and love it, but its like most computers in that its rempremental and the signal occasionally drops and we have no reception. I din't understand the point of DAB as, to the listener, it's just like FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think there's one market where DAB still has a chance and that's in car headunits. Personally I'd prefer if we went down the road of satellite radio or possibly even 3G connections to headunits to allow us to listen to radio over the net in our vehicles.

Mmm..BBC Radio 1 in the car..

I used the iphone and tunein radio in the car - last week went Dublin to Donegal listening to Adam and Joe - signal never dropped, not once, and total data usage: 45 MB. happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

tbh wrote: »
    I used the iphone and tunein radio in the car - last week went Dublin to Donegal listening to Adam and Joe - signal never dropped, not once, and total data usage: 45 MB. happy days!

Thata wonderful, but many choose not to have an iPhone because of the sinister tracking devices which report your every move to the secret directive at apple computing! But, serioiusly, what about your carbon footprint? You drove to Donegal and back in a car with a combutstion engine? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I set my TV to turn to 2XM in the mornings. I find Morning Ireland to serious, Hector and Marty to dumb. I just want music. Technically not listening to DAB but DAB stations on DTT.

I listen to it, because in my area there are stations on it I can't get on FM, so I can listen to them while driving.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 griffith_s

Can anyone recommend a handheld DAB player.
    All I want it for really is to be able to listen to 2XM when commuting into Dublin, and sitting at my desk in Work.

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

griffith_s wrote: »
    All I want it for really is to be able to listen to 2XM when commuting into Dublin, and sitting at my desk in Work.S

Tesco sell them, ive seen small walkman type ones in there too.

Not sure how good they are but I presume they sound ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Reception in my apartment in Dublin 6 on DAB for Radio 1 is much better than on FM thats why I listen to DAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

griffith_s wrote: »
    All I want it for really is to be able to listen to 2XM when commuting into Dublin, and sitting at my desk in Work.

S

Pure do a few portables, they're all available from Amazon...

http://www.pure.com/digitalradio/

Also consider the RTE player on iOS or Android, they're rolling out Wi-Fi on the buses soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭Mr Williams

From a sound quality point of view FM is far superior to DAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From a sound quality point of view FM is far superior to DAB.

Only when DAB is implemented badly, e.g. the entire UK deployment pretty much. And linking to that insane zealot website doesn't prove a point either.

"DAB is not needed"? Maybe not as a replacement to FM, but as an add-on? To allow more stations come on air and provide more listener choice?

Perfect for it.

And MYOB's right. DAB done properly sounds great, it's just when too low bitrates are used it sounds bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

"DAB is not needed"?

If 4fm, Sunshine, Phantom and spirit can't make any headway, what chance have a bunch of new stations on dab ? Newstalk would have closed down after 6 months, if it didn't have Dennis O'brien's money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

July Rain wrote: »
    If 4fm, Sunshine, Phantom and spirit

The above stations should be given national genre licence. IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭Mr Williams

MYOB wrote: »
    Only when DAB is implemented badly, e.g. the entire UK deployment pretty much. And linking to that insane zealot website doesn't prove a point either.

DAB by its very nature is a "lossy" audio format which means data is thrown away to compress the sound. FM is not compressed its comparable to CD quailty. Also the fact that its analogue means you got a much more natural sound, digital audio can sound very artificial.

Advertisement