Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own Master of Puppets?

• 17-05-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as the thread title says, I'm curious if there are any posters on here who don't own Master of Puppets by Metallica.

Personally I've bought it three times. Twice on tape and once on CD.

Do you own Master of Puppets by Metallica? 141 votes

Yes I do
    0%
    No I don't
    100%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarRonan|Ravenbyte120_MinutesDiarmuidevillivefolanGristlyEndSouperComputerblastmanSeth BrundleCianan2Skerriesdcr22Brainbow kirbyseanybikerLIGHTNINGOral SlangjonnybaddMalice 141 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No I don't
    Yep, third or fourth cd I ever bought as far as I remember

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No I don't
    I must have owned about 8 copies of it over the years, first bought the LP & Cassette for the car, then the Picture Disc, then CD when it came out.

I can recall buying it on CD at least 2 more times in the past 15yrs as either lost it or got damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

:D little did I know when I clicked no that I'd be the first to do so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No I don't
    Yes I do!

As a metallica discussion doesnt this belong in the superthread :p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No I don't
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    As a metallica discussion doesnt this belong in the superthread :p:p:p:p
    That's a fair point but this isn't really about the discussion, it's about the poll and you can't have more than one poll in a thread so I figured a separate thread was justified.

If it makes you feel any better I consulted a mod and a cat mod before I did anything ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No I don't
    Malice wrote: »
    That's a fair point but this isn't really about the discussion, it's about the poll and you can't have more than one poll in a thread so I figured a separate thread was justified.

If it makes you feel any better I consulted a mod and a cat mod before I did anything ;).
    I know, it was a comment left purely in jest (hence the smileys and small font :pac:)

OT: I would have thought this would be a stonewall 100%, MOP is a "must have" for any one claiming to be a fan of metal, an absolute seminal classic, both of Thrash and of Metal as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No I don't
    I've had it on LP, tape and now CD over the years. If only I'd bought it on minidisc when they were all the rage!

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

nope, never owned a copy of it or any other Metallica album.

I've heard the album plenty of times, and it's one of those albums that I have on my "might buy it one day" list. But definitely not an album that I feel I must own a copy of.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

OT: I would have thought this would be a stonewall 100%, MOP is a "must have" for any one claiming to be a fan of metal, an absolute seminal classic, both of Thrash and of Metal as a whole.
    I'd disagree with you on that one. I'd be a fan of metal and have been for some considerable time but I could not stand the thought of having to listen to MOP.

Metallica are a band I've never liked so MOP just something to be avoided for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No I don't
    Yeah me too. For those of you who voted no, it'd be great if you'd let us know why you don't own it. I mean, while I don't agree, Master of Puppets is regarded as Metallica's best album, Metallica is probably the most popular metal band going and I've yet to hear anyone ever complain about the quality of their first four albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

No I don't
    Probably one of the first albums I bought and the first Metallica album I bought , very good album , excellent guitar and bass work , prefer Ride The Lightning to be honest though ! :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Malice wrote: »
    Yeah me too. For those of you who voted no, it'd be great if you'd let us know why you don't own it. I mean, while I don't agree, Master of Puppets is regarded as Metallica's best album, Metallica is probably the most popular metal band going and I've yet to hear anyone ever complain about the quality of their first four albums.

Hard for me to explain, don't think the album is bad or anything, I just don't get that excitement from hearing it that makes me want to instantly purchase it.

Nearly all the music I'd buy is done on an instinctual level. It's not like, I'm buying that album because the guys a great drummer. I hear something, and if it pushes that Joy Button in the brain that some music does, then I'm going to try and hear more of that band.

I really am trying to explain why I don't have it. Hopefully this post makes some level of sense to you.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

No I don't
    I have the cd and lp.
    Even downloaded it just to spite lars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No I don't
    I have the cd and lp.
    Even downloaded it just to spite lars

First of all I thought, you are talking about me :D

I have the LP, one of the classics in my collection :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No I don't
    Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

No I don't
    Master of Puppets and Reign In Blood are 2 albums that should be in any metal fans collection. Both timeless classics.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

No I don't
    ah puppets. bought it on lp, bought the rerelease on double lp due to the spurious claims that the single lp was too compressed because of the length of the album.
    bought it on cd, and downloaded it on itunes coz my cd is scratched.

lucky enough to see the tour in the top hat, teeshirt got shredded in subsequent pits though:(
    along with an official damage inc tee i would love to have it now.

i may be wierd though as i think after puppets the black album is the best they have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

No I don't
    This is one essential album every Rock / Metal fan should own. But I wonder what other albums fall under this category . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No I don't
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Master of Puppets and Reign In Blood are 2 albums that should be in any metal fans collection. Both timeless classics.:)

That surely brings up memories in an old man like me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

No I don't
    The first Metallica album I ever bought. I actually think I heard the Kerrang cover album before the actual album and just had to check out the original. I wanted it so badly I paid over the odds for it in Golden Disks (couldn't find it anywhere else) but probably one of my favourite albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

yep got it on tape after i heard ....and justice, also bought it on vinyl and cd!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

No I don't
    Tape and cd for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

No I don't
    Funny to see this thread, as I was only listening to MoP for the first time in ages yesterday.

It got me thinking about how it's an album that, in a sense, is taken for granted. Most people get into metal and listen to Metallica in the early stages. But I know myself that I don't listen to them that often now. But MoP really is an amazing album, and I was really blown away when I heard it first. It really struck a chord with me (;)) And I definitely have a special place for it.

Out of interest, any songs people aren't mad on? For me it's Leper Messiah. It's just never really struck me, Damage Inc as well I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

No I don't
    This is one essential album every Rock / Metal fan should own. But I wonder what other albums fall under this category . . . .

We put together a list of 100 (I think) albums that people should own/are awesome a good while ago on this forum. I'll see if I can dig it up. Your post just reminded me of that thread.

Here is the 100 albums that were chosen. It is important to stress that they are in no particular order other than the order they were nominated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

No I don't
    Got the cd 2 years ago, The Thing That Should Not Be is the only track I don't rate on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

No I don't
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Out of interest, any songs people aren't mad on? For me it's Leper Messiah. It's just never really struck me, Damage Inc as well I'd say

MOP is one of the very few albums in my collection that i don't skip through a single song.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nope. I don't own anything by Metallica, and it's not something I can see changing any time soon really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Nope, never tried to get into them when I was younger. I downloaded it recently enough and listened to it a few times, don't think I'd put it on over the other stuff I have. Its quality is undeniable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No I don't
    JBnaglfar wrote: »
    We put together a list of 100 (I think) albums that people should own/are awesome a good while ago on this forum. I'll see if I can dig it up. Your post just reminded me of that thread.

Here is the 100 albums that were chosen. It is important to stress that they are in no particular order other than the order they were nominated.

I'm gonna go major off topic with this post but what the hell is St. Anger doing on that list?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got the cd for a tenner in hmv :)

Advertisement