Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own Master of Puppets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

No I don't
    Yes I do own it, absolutely brilliant album.

I also own a really faded MoP shirt that I've had for at least 10 years. Still fits despite industrial amounts of Guinness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No I don't
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Out of interest, any songs people aren't mad on? For me it's Leper Messiah. It's just never really struck me, Damage Inc as well I'd say
    Personally I love the title track, Sanitarium and Orion. The rest of the album has never grabbed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Malice wrote: »
    Personally I love the title track, Sanitarium and Orion. The rest of the album has never grabbed me.

Man you gotta give Battery and Damage inc credit, they are kick ass tunes, and would make sh1t of any song they released in the 90's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

No I don't
    old gregg wrote: »
    I'd disagree with you on that one. I'd be a fan of metal and have been for some considerable time but I could not stand the thought of having to listen to MOP.
    The album is a defining album for the genre! Even solely for the lead bass in 2 of the tracks, it's about so much more than just "Thrash".

I cant understand how a metalhead wouldnt own or even like MOP! Thats like not liking sabbath or something.
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Out of interest, any songs people aren't mad on? For me it's Leper Messiah. It's just never really struck me, Damage Inc as well I'd say
    Odd, those are two of my fave tracks on MOP :pac:

There are no "skip" tracks on MOP but Battery or the title track would be my least favourites. Then again thats just relative to the other content on MOP,they still trounce most other songs from any other albums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I know, it was a comment left purely in jest (hence the smileys and small font :pac:)

OT: I would have thought this would be a stonewall 100%, MOP is a "must have" for any one claiming to be a fan of metal, an absolute seminal classic, both of Thrash and of Metal as a whole.

Nah, The only mandatory Thrash Metal album is Reign in Blood by Slayer. I never owned MOP but had a bootlegged copy. Owned And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning, Kill 'Em All, Garage Days, Black Album and Load. Also bought Re-Load which sucked and I then got sick of them and Ulrich is a wanker. Also the whole Napster thing just pissed me off. Made them look like a bunch of bitches. At least Eddie Vetter boycotted TicketMaster because he felt they were fleecing rock fans and he wanted to have fans pay a sensible price for a Pearl Jam concert.

Always liked And Justice For All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No I don't
    I only download Metallica albums these days, but I did bend that rule to buy MOP a couple of years ago. I prefer Ride The Lightning anyway.

EDIT: Pretty much everything jackie said applies to me too! Scary.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Got a loan of it off a friend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I do own it yes, though after watching some kind of monster, I changed puppets to muppets. :rolleyes:

No I don't
    GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Man you gotta give Battery and Damage inc credit, they are kick ass tunes, and would make sh1t of any song they released in the 90's :)
    While I wouldn't go that far, I can accept that I'm in a minority with that opinion :). Note that I didn't describe them as bad songs, just that they didn't grab me.
    The only mandatory Thrash Metal album is Reign in Blood by Slayer.
    I don't know about that. I never got into Slayer and Reign in Blood has aged terribly to my ears. I listened to it a few years ago for the first time and didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No I don't
    I think I am on my 3rd copy of it, having lost 2 in the last 10 or more years. I picked it up as my 3rd Metallica album but only after owning Justice and RTL then MOP. :o

Still listen to it today even though my Metallica buzz has subsided a bit in the last 2 or 3 years.

• Advertisement

I don't know about that. I never got into Slayer and Reign in Blood has aged terribly to my ears. I listened to it a few years ago for the first time and didn't like it at all.

Well it is a quarter of a century old :eek:

While I enjoyed the heyday of thrash metal I always knew it was doomed as a genre. There's nothing more that can be done with an electric guitar. Blues, Rock and Roll, Funk, Metal, Thrash, flange/distortion/hammer ons, it's all been done.

No I don't
    Well it is a quarter of a century old :eek:
    Ride The Lightning, Kill 'Em All and the subject of this thread are all at least 25 years old and they don't sound near as dated though.
    There's nothing more that can be done with an electric guitar. Blues, Rock and Roll, Funk, Metal, Thrash, flange/distortion/hammer ons, it's all been done
    I totally disagree with this but that's a subject for another thread :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No I don't
    Ride The Lightning, Kill 'Em All and the subject of this thread are all at least 25 years old and they don't sound near as dated though.

IMO KEA and RTL sound more dated than MOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Max Power1 wrote: »
    The album is a defining album for the genre! Even solely for the lead bass in 2 of the tracks, it's about so much more than just "Thrash".

I cant understand how a metalhead wouldnt own or even like MOP! Thats like not liking sabbath or something.

Different strokes and all that good stuff. I'd not speak ill of it cos I recognise the significance of the album and indeed Metalica in general even though I don't like them. I also recognise the importance of Slayer as a band but just don't like them either.

As for Sabbath, always had a soft spot for them, hugely important band ... but I preferred the sound of Deep Purple as a kid :)

It's all good I reckon.

Well, I don't think that MOP is an essential possession for the thrash metal fan. There are certain albums from that era that really ought to be in one's collection such as Reign in Blood/Slayer, Ride The Lightning/Metallica, Among The Living/Anthrax and Peace Sells/Megadeth.

I only like Disposable Heroes from MOP.

No I don't
    Well, I don't think that MOP is an essential possession for the thrash metal fan. There are certain albums from that era that really ought to be in one's collection such as Reign in Blood/Slayer, Ride The Lightning/Metallica, Among The Living/Anthrax and Peace Sells/Megadeth.

:eek: There aren't enough expletives in the English language for that sentence.

No I don't
    IMO KEA and RTL sound more dated than MOP.
    Fair enough but the comparison was being made between Reign in Blood and those albums. Certainly parts of Kill 'Em All have dated terribly and the most I listen to it these days is when I throw on The Four Horsemen for a warmup jam.
    Good God seriously? You genuinely, seriously, no bullshitting, don't like the title track, Sanitarium and Orion? Those are three of the finest songs ever written

No I don't
    Fair enough but the comparison was being made between Reign in Blood and those albums. Certainly parts of Kill 'Em All have dated terribly and the most I listen to it these days is when I throw on The Four Horsemen for a warmup jam.

Good God seriously? You genuinely, seriously, no bullshitting, don't like the title track, Sanitarium and Orion? Those are three of the finest songs ever written

Except "Orion"'s not really a song. Sorry, I have my "pedantic" hat on today!!! :D

No I don't
    Except "Orion"'s not really a song. Sorry, I have my "pedantic" hat on today!!! :D
    :confused: Well what is it then?

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

No I don't
    I got it for my birthday when i was like 14! My friend was trying to convert me to their music! :D

• Advertisement

No I don't
    This is one essential album every Rock / Metal fan should own. But I wonder what other albums fall under this category . . . .
    Not many I would think. Even getting general consensus on a top 10 would be very difficult. That 100 album list that was drawn up two years ago shows just how difficult it can be.
    I honestly think Master of Puppets is about as close as you can get to a must-have album and we still only have 89% of poll respondents listing themselves as owners.

Thanks to everyone who voted and posted as well by the way. It's good to see a whole bunch of unfamiliar names.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No I don't
    I think the technical definition of a song requires it to have vocals. As a fan of instrumental rock I disagree with it however!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I don't own it, nor any other Metallica albums. They're not a band I am a fan of. I even saw them play the album in '06 (twice) but it still didn't do anything for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

No I don't
    jenizzle wrote: »
    I don't own it, nor any other Metallica albums. They're not a band I am a fan of. I even saw them play the album in '06 (twice) but it still didn't do anything for me :o

pity, few bob down the drain there so!:p

...check your pulse though, technically you may be dead if metallica live didn't stir something in you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

Bought it when I was 16. Great album and a great band. I do have to admit that I prefer Ride the Lightning though. I've seen Metallica live and also think that they're a great band to see. It's just great to see a band that plays metal and hard rock get so popular.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

pity, few bob down the drain there so!:p

...check your pulse though, technically you may be dead if metallica live didn't stir something in you:)

Hahaha, so I've been told! I did give them a chance, and I don't hate them... does that count for anything?! Also, I did enjoy Apocalyptica playing Metallica's stuff the day before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Nope. Not my cup of tea - nor are the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

No I don't

He's right, it's not a mere song.... it's a damn masterpiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No I don't
    It's a class album.

• Advertisement

No I don't

It's an instrumental. And, yes, it is a masterpiece too.

Advertisement