Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own Master of Puppets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

No I don't
    It's an instrumental. And, yes, it is a masterpiece too.
    You're right. That is pedantic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No I don't
    Malice wrote: »
    You're right. That is pedantic :p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

No I don't
    I remember the first time I ever heard this album. Other Metallica albums, more recent albums, would have been purchased first - and I know I had Ride The Lightning before I had this album. But, throughout the years, this has remained a constant feature in my collection and it is never far from me - despite what other genres or artists I listen too.

As far as I'm concerned the best I've seen Metallica live (7 shows and counting) is Dublin, 2006, when they performed this in full. That entire set, for me, encompassed the Metallica live experience - it was my third time to see them in four years, I questioned the logic of spending that much on a ticket - I never questioned buying a ticket for Metallica again.

No I don't
    I remember the first time I ever heard this album. Other Metallica albums, more recent albums, would have been purchased first - and I know I had Ride The Lightning before I had this album. But, throughout the years, this has remained a constant feature in my collection and it is never far from me - despite what other genres or artists I listen too.

As far as I'm concerned the best I've seen Metallica live (7 shows and counting) is Dublin, 2006, when they performed this in full. That entire set, for me, encompassed the Metallica live experience - it was my third time to see them in four years, I questioned the logic of spending that much on a ticket - I never questioned buying a ticket for Metallica again.

Aye, 'twas an insane gig. I p****d meself laughing when James went flying on his face during "Leper Messiah". The song was about a minute longer than the album version!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I do, It's a very good album, but I've never been mad about both 'The Thing That Should Not Be and Damage Inc'. The new remastered version is brilliant and the volume is noticbly louder than the original version.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

No I don't
    I've had it on CD twice :cool: Absolutely love it! Though I've never liked the thing that should not be. Apart from that though, every song on it is perfect IMO.

I'd agree with people saying Reign in Blood sounding dated, Seasons in the Abyss was always my favourite Slayer album though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Funny to see this thread, as I was only listening to MoP for the first time in ages yesterday.

It got me thinking about how it's an album that, in a sense, is taken for granted. Most people get into metal and listen to Metallica in the early stages. But I know myself that I don't listen to them that often now. But MoP really is an amazing album, and I was really blown away when I heard it first. It really struck a chord with me (;)) And I definitely have a special place for it.

Out of interest, any songs people aren't mad on? For me it's Leper Messiah. It's just never really struck me, Damage Inc as well I'd say

Always thought Lepper Messiah was a brilliant track. It's a very consistent album, decent songs all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the No vote is catching up :p

No I don't
    old gregg wrote: »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Shurrup Dave Murray!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

No I don't
    Best heavy metal album there is. Great intro to it with Battery, and great close with Damage Inc. Leper Messiah, meh. Overlooked song - Disposable heros. What a fooking chooon. Just raw aggression in this album. Me likey.

I never bought M O P but I got a friend to burn it onto a CD for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

No I don't
    Yep. Cassette and CD

No I don't
    old gregg wrote: »
    :eek: It is too! 89% is now down to just 85.71%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No I don't
    We should do more of these threads, with other big albums like Reign In Blood, Rust In Peace, Vulgar Display Of Power and stuff like that. I'd be fun ridiculing the people who don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

No I don't
    would be nice to weed out the no's on the basis of into metal dont rate it rather than not particularly into metal so dont have it.

as a more mature rocker i remember the album in the context of it's time, maybe younger folks hearing it now just feel it's dated?

ah what am i on about at all, it's a brilliant album begins and ends with two of my favourite songs on it.

there's more than a few metal peeps here all the same!:)

No I don't
    Nailz wrote: »
    We should do more of these threads, with other big albums like Reign In Blood, Rust In Peace, Vulgar Display Of Power and stuff like that. I'd be fun ridiculing the people who don't have them.
    First off there'll be no ridiculing of of anyone. I don't want to have to drag out the banhammer. Secondly Master of Puppets is the only album I can think of that most metal fans should own. Whatever people's opinion of the band's recent work or the band members personalities there's no denying they are the most popular metal band around.
    I'd imagine the percentages for the other albums would be much closer. In my case I have all three of the albums you mentioned but of the three, only the Pantera album gets any playing time and even then when it comes up on random play I tend to just queue up Mouth for War, Walk and Fucking Hostile and then move swiftly on to Far Beyond Driven :).
    would be nice to weed out the no's on the basis of into metal dont rate it rather than not particularly into metal so dont have it.
    That's actually a very good point. I tend to treat Rock & Metal as very closely related whereas there's a huge variety of sound covered by the one title in reality and there are definitely fans of one over the other present on this forum. Of course my mother would say it all sounds like noise but I can tell the difference between Cattle Decapitation and Guns N' Roses as I'm sure can most people on here ;).

It might be of overkill to re-do the poll at this stage but maybe options like this might have provided more information:
    Yes I own it.
    No, I don't own it and I'm not a metal fan.
    No, I don't own it and I am a metal fan.
    as a more mature rocker i remember the album in the context of it's time, maybe younger folks hearing it now just feel it's dated?
    Just imagine how dated bands like Bring Me The Horizon will sound in 25 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

No I don't
    I most certainly do, it was the 3rd Metallica album I got after their s/t and Ride The Lightning when I was 15. I loved Ride The Lightning but when I heard Master of Puppets it just sounded downright incredible, the band sounded fully formed.

I was also there at the RDS in 2006 when they played the album in it's entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

dont own it,dont think ive even had the lend of a copy of it at anytime.never liked disposable heros,damage inc. and TTTSNB.both RTL and AJFA were albums that i wouldnt skip a song on.

i think the main reason i have never bought it is that i was quite disappointed when i first heard it after hearing how great it was,when to me they had 2 far better albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I've had it for 12 years or so I think, on CD. I don't listen to it anymore as I don't think it's a very good album, to be honest. Guitar sound is awful on it and the solos are mostly random ****. I did like it a lot at the time though. I remember my favourites being Sanitarium and Disposable heroes. Those are probably the only two songs on it that i'd really care about listening to again.

I did get hold of a 24bit remastered version of it recently which is the last time I listened to it - sounded fantastic and worth looking for if you're a fan of the album.

Ride the lightning is miles better I think (I do like all the songs on that I think), and such a big step up from Kill em all that I think it's more deserving of "definitive metallica album" title or whatever.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No I don't
    Surprised at a people who rate Damage Inc as one of the weaker songs on the album, I'd personally rate it as one of the strongest.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

:confused: Well what is it then?

It's a tune.

Nope, never owned it!

• Advertisement

No I don't
    Guitar sound is awful on it and the solos are mostly random ****.

I don't believe you can say this....I'm actually shocked....

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Im only a very occasional poster here but I aint got it, despite what my mates say to me to the contrary I happen to find Metallica a bit shít, ive heard a few tunes that I thought were decent, but not enough to listen to them on a regular basis of my own accord, and certainly not to buy any of their albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

No I don't
    Back to the front!

Its one of the few albums I've actually bought. Still have the tape somewhere. Some day I'll get a decent record player and get the vinyl reissue. Some timeless riffs on there IMO.

MOP will probably never get old for me, it was the first album that grabbed me by the balls when I was a kid. Up till then I was in the typical diet of an 11 year old in the early 90's. Id heard Black album, Nevermind, use your illusion etc, but the first time I heard Battery I thought it was amazing. Loved the dynamics, harmonies and just overall epicness of it. For me it's an album I try not to dissect too much, its greater than the sum of this parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No I don't
    First off there'll be no ridiculing of of anyone. I don't want to have to drag out the banhammer.
    Not saying that, more of a tongue-in-cheek jokey thingy. I didn't mean it in a "Hey, those fucks don't have this album, kill them!" way.

Anyway, that's just you, I hardly listen to MOP very often myself, despite it being one my favourite Metallica albums, behind Ride The Lightning — where as I would be more inclined to listen to Reign In Blood or Vulgar more so, they to me are more essential than Master Of Puppets — so it's all about differences in opinion I guess my good fella. Vulgar isn't even my favourite PanterA album, that would be Trendkill I think, I just think it is an essential part of a metalheads' collection.

No I don't
    Nailz wrote: »
    Not saying that, more of a tongue-in-cheek jokey thingy. I didn't mean it in a "Hey, those fucks don't have this album, kill them!" way.
    I appreciate that. My response wasn't aimed specifically at you but as more of a general reaffirmation of the "Don't be a dick" guideline to anyone reading the thread.
    Nailz wrote:
    Anyway, that's just you
    Well me in my capacity of forum moderator anyway.

No I don't
    Surprised at a people who rate Damage Inc as one of the weaker songs on the album, I'd personally rate it as one of the strongest.

True, but it's a great song on an album of phenomenal songs, so I guess when people talk about their least favourite something has to be mentioned but that song is still great by anyone's standards - have you heard the acoustic version they did for the Bridge Benefit?

There's a great version by a tribute band on YouTube (MIKOTALLICA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

No I don't
    the solos are mostly random ****.
    I wish i could have a **** as good as the master of puppets solo though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

No shame here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Denny M wrote: »
    No shame here :pac:

Snap!

Advertisement