Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilgamesh

Options
  • 17-05-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Has anyone found time to sit down with this epic? I havent myself but ive always wanted to, must be amazing to read the oldest surviving story in human history.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is or recommend an edition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Has anyone found time to sit down with this epic? I havent myself but ive always wanted to, must be amazing to read the oldest surviving story in human history.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is or recommend an edition?
    Well by my username you can probably tell that I'm a bit of a fan.
    It's a very easy read in my opinion and it's quite short. The best edition of it currently is the Penguin Classics edition with translation by Andrew George.

A few things to note:

The most well known version of the Epic of Gilgamesh is the version by Sîn-lēqi-unninn, it's written in Standard Babylonian a literary dialect (of Akkadian) that nobody actually spoke.
    There are older versions of it as well, all of which are based on much older Sumerian poems.

Andrew George's translation includes all these versions and the Sumerian poems, but gives Sîn-lēqi-unninn's version first, which I would recommend reading first since it is definitely the best version.

George also gives versions written outside the Akkadian speaking region. One of these versions is from Ugarit, the capital of the Canaanite civilization mentioned in the Bible, out of which the Hebrews and the Phoenicians evolved. Which is interesting because the Epic of Gilgamesh contains Uta-napishti, who built the Ark and survived the flood, so this is probably the origin of Noah.

One thing is that the writing contains a lot of repition, like all Semitic literature: "He picked up the knife, picked up the knife did he".

In my opinion it is a much better example of Semitic writing than the Bible which comes from a less advanced, less urban society.

George's version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epic-Gilgamesh-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140449191/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305666927&sr=1-1

Also, if you like the Epic of Gilgamesh, I would recommend the following book in the Oxford classics series:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Myths-Mesopotamia-Creation-Gilgamesh-Classics/dp/0199538360

There are a load of myths there from all points in Akkadian history, as well as a good overview of why the Akkadians believed what they did and an overview of their beliefs.

Also, something that confused me at the beginning:
    Sumerians are the original inhabitants of Mesopotamia.

Akkadians are Semites who moved into Sumerian territory and took over. A good bit of time later the Akkadians split into Northern Akkadians (Assyrians) and Southern Akkadians (Babylonians). However both groups still spoke Akkadian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm gonna drop a link, just in case anyone wants a read without having to buy a book.

sacred-texts.org

They archive out-of-copyright editions, so you won't get the most modern translations but they can still be good.
    They also tend to collect a good bit of relevant scholarly works on the texts themselves.

Anyway, might be of interest in both of you given your interest in Gilgamesh.

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=www.sacred-texts.com&q=gilgamesh&sa=Search&sitesearch=www.sacred-texts.com&cof=GALT%3A%23008000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23336699%3BVLC%3A663399%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3A336699%3BALC%3A000000%3BT%3A0000FF%3BGFNT%3A0000FF%3BGIMP%3A0000FF%3BFORID%3A1%3B&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Is Gilgamesh part of the Shahnama? I was the Kings exhibition in the Chester Beatty and was sure there was mention of Gilgamesh. It sounded really fascinating.

RubyRoss wrote: »
    Is Gilgamesh part of the Shahnama? I was the Kings exhibition in the Chester Beatty and was sure there was mention of Gilgamesh. It sounded really fascinating.
    No, Gilgamesh is an Akkadian (early Semite peoples of Iraq) character based on the Sumerian (even earlier non-Semitic peoples of southern Iraq) Bilgames.
    The Shahnama was written in Persia (Indo-European peoples) about 2,300 years later.

You might be thinking of Rostam, the strong man of the Shahnama, who may be influenced by Gilgamesh.

• Advertisement

Thanks Enkidu, it's an area I'd like to learn a little more about.

Thanks Enkidu, it's an area I'd like to learn a little more about.
    Which? Iranian literature or Mesopotamian literature? Just say and I can give you some good references and information.:)

Enkidu wrote: »
    Which? Iranian literature or Mesopotamian literature? Just say and I can give you some good references and information.:)

The Mesopotamian I think would be a better starting point - is there a good introduction?

The Mesopotamian I think would be a better starting point - is there a good introduction?
    I think the Oxford classics Myths from Mesopotamia is very good for a general selection:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Myths-Mesopotamia-Creation-Gilgamesh-Classics/dp/0199538360/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1308405530&sr=8-4

Although I think Andrew George's version of Gilgamesh I mentioned above is very good, probably the best way to started on Mesopotamia:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epic-Gilgamesh-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140449191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308405530&sr=8-1

Advertisement