Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to study in Australia....Help!!!

Options
  • 17-05-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi guys,

As the title says I want to study in Australia but I really don’t know how to go about it? :confused: I have looked at various websites but am unsure what to make of them. I would like to do an accounting or business course like the ones you'd do here. I'm 24 and I have a job at the moment so funds wouldn’t be a problem but there is nothing here for me regarding future employment prospects and all I have is my leaving certificate, so I was thinking of starting a new life in Australia.

So basically I’m looking for any information on who to speak to about it/ where to go etc? Is there anywhere in Ireland I can ring?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Many Thanks!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc3ac

Hi there,

Lived in Sydney for a while, and worked at Macquarie and Sydney University campuses for a while so decided to look into what it took to become a student there, and unless you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you will have to pay international fees which are extremely expensive (up to AU35,000$ per year). That is just for tuiton, renting a room around Sydney is around 150-200$ per week (possibly more) so basically it requires a large financial outlay. If you are a Australian citizen/ permanent resident the fees are smaller (up to 10,000$) but still sizable. That said, Sydney University has a sizable amount of foreign students (mostly from Asia) who are willing to fork out that type of money.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Wow those prices are shocking!!:eek: really did not think it would be that expensive!! Do you know why they are they expensive by any chance?? So would it be better than to try and study here in Ireland than go over there?

Thanks for your response, it was really helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Wow those prices are shocking!!:eek: really did not think it would be that expensive!! Do you know why they are they expensive by any chance??

Well if they are not Australian or Permanent residents why should the rest of us
    subsidize their fees?

A lot of Asian students try to use the route as a pathway to permanent residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

Hi guys,

As the title says I want to study in Australia but I really don’t know how to go about it? :confused: I have looked at various websites but am unsure what to make of them. I would like to do an accounting or business course like the ones you'd do here. I'm 24 and I have a job at the moment so funds wouldn’t be a problem but there is nothing here for me regarding future employment prospects and all I have is my leaving certificate, so I was thinking of starting a new life in Australia.

So basically I’m looking for any information on who to speak to about it/ where to go etc? Is there anywhere in Ireland I can ring?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Many Thanks!!:)

Hi dark_shadow
    There is no free third level education in Oz. If you are an Australian resident or citizen you can have your fees deferred while you study but you will owe the amount outstanding to the government at the end of study. Most people pay in back through tax when they start working...that is in addition to their normal tax.
    You may find something helpful on this link to TAFE. It is not nearly as expensive as University and gets the same results. I know two lads who qualified as accountants through Tafe. If you want advise.... qualify in Ireland before you go to Oz.....it can be a hard road trying to work and study....Best of luck whatever you decide....
    http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/tafe/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc3ac

The reason they charge so much is similar to universities here - it makes up the shortfall in funding from the Australian government and
    if they have a large no. of international students, there is obvoiusly
    more money coming into the college. As the other poster said, check out TAFE - might be a more affordable option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Wow those prices are shocking!!:eek: really did not think it would be that expensive!! Do you know why they are they expensive by any chance?? So would it be better than to try and study here in Ireland than go over there?

Thanks for your response, it was really helpful! :)

Is it just that you really want to come to Australia or did you really want to study here?.

You could come work here and still earn a degree with distance learning?. Check out the courses at London university.

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/

Total fees for the courses are in the region of 4-5k sterling for 3 years and you can study from anywhere in the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well if they are not Australian or Permanent residents why should the rest of us
    subsidize their fees?

A lot of Asian students try to use the route as a pathway to permanent residence.
    Actually it's the opposite. The international students heavily subsidise the domestic students. It's the same in Ireland, hence why the universities want to have so many international students.

The quality of education is lower in Australia though and hence it's largely a visa rort. I'm studying here at the moment and this is partly because I had no other visa option since leaving my 457 sponsored job.

ballooba wrote: »
    Actually it's the opposite. The international students heavily subsidise the domestic students. It's the same in Ireland, hence why the universities want to have so many international students.

The quality of education is lower in Australia though and hence it's largely a visa rort. I'm studying here at the moment and this is partly because I had no other visa option since leaving my 457 sponsored job.
    Hi ballooba.........I find that an interesting comment..... that the quality of education is lower in Australia. In what aspects do you find it lower?

barefoot wrote: »
    Hi ballooba.........I find that an interesting comment..... that the quality of education is lower in Australia. In what aspects do you find it lower?
    http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/interactive-infographic-of-the-worlds-best-countries.html (ranked 13 versus 8 for Ireland)
    I'm talking about the macro perspective rather than from personal experience. Personally I am now studying at a less recognised university so I can't compare to UCD where I most recently studied in Ireland. I'm studying accountancy and I get my exam exemptions regardless of where I study, so long as the course is accredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Agree with the above posters. Unless you are a permanent resident or win the lotto - forget about it! You'd be better off doing a degree at a uni or i.t at home (3/4 years) than coming over here to get a 1 or 2 years cert or diploma for the same money.

Even people using student visas as a means of staying on here end up doing mickey mouse courses and paying out at least $10,000 over a period to do so.
    A few of my friends are doing capoeira (brazillian dance/martial arts)and some are doing business/hr - esp with the business one, its primarily aimed at people whose first language is not english so is dead easy. But to meet the requirements for a student visa, a certain amount of attendance is required. One of my friends is considering going home she hates college so much - she said the course is like junior cert material and shes already done a bachelors degree!!

• Advertisement

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/interactive-infographic-of-the-worlds-best-countries.html (ranked 13 versus 8 for Ireland)
    I'm talking about the macro perspective rather than from personal experience. Personally I am now studying at a less recognised university so I can't compare to UCD where I most recently studied in Ireland. I'm studying accountancy and I get my exam exemptions regardless of where I study, so long as the course is accredited.
    Oh I see so you are just studying to stay in Oz....got ya. My daughters were educated in Oz and when I took them back to Ireland...the school principal said they were not up to speed in maths .....but they were way ahead in English....classical studies....and communications skill....They themselves hated the Irish way of study.....I think they felt it was more geared towards the results....than the journey of learning. I suppose just a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Well it's the one in same thing, without the international students paying 3x the fees then the tax payer would have to subsidise the rest. I think there's nothing wrong with charging international higher fee's if they want to buy residency then I reckon stick the arm in them.

Anyway ballooba I thought your GF was Dinky Di why didn't you go defacto?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Anyway ballooba I thought your GF was Dinky Di why didn't you go defacto?
    You typically need to be living together 12 months for de facto. It's much stricter for citizens / permanent residents than temporary residents. We had a sizable gap in the 12 month requirement.

barefoot wrote: »
    Oh I see so you are just studying to stay in Oz....got ya.
    Nope, if I was then I would be doing some mickey mouse course and saving a whole heap of money. It's a significant motivating factor but I also wanted to get my accountancy qualification. There were other motivating factors such as living in same city as my girlfriend, her getting to spend time with her family and also avoiding the Irish winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I have found them very useful and interesting indeed!:D

Like I said at the start the reason why I wanted to go there to study was because I'm definitely thinking about leaving my job, as it's in a warehouse with no future prospects for me. So I thought why stay here in Ireland and study when I could try and go to Australia for the same 3/4 years and do a course there instead aswell ad trying to get a job and permanent residency. I know it would be dear but had no idea it was going to be so expensive!:eek:

I will have alot to think about over the coming weeks, but seen as though Ireland is gone so crap lately I was seriously thinking of going to Australia. Also because I work in a warehouse the chances of getting permanent work on a WHV seem slim so that kinda rules that out of the question. I am a supervisour in my job but I don't think that makes any difference to the skills visa either. :confused:

Anyway like I said, alot to think about but thanks to everyone for their help and advice!!:P

Advertisement