Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi finally coming to Sligo?

Options
  • 17-05-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed an ad on irishjobs where Aldi are looking for a store manager for Sligo.

Does this mean they finally found a premises here and are actually opening a shop soon?

Anyone got any more info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Really? I heard they were coming to Carrick on Shannon, didn't hear anything about Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

magnumlady wrote: »
    Really? I heard they were coming to Carrick on Shannon, didn't hear anything about Sligo.

Well ...with Irishjobs you never know ...Sligo may well mean Carrick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I heard they were going to open beside St Anne's Church.

rhonin wrote: »

Actually now you say that it's jogged my memory. Wasn't a discount store hoping to open in the old ESB building? So could well be Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

rhonin wrote: »
    That's been on the go for years, don't know if it will ever happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Aye there was an ad for the job up on monster for a good while for it aswell

Any further news on Aldi coming to Sligo? I would love to see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Any further news on Aldi coming to Sligo? I would love to see it happening.
    they have a notice for planning in the field beside romar furniture on pearse road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

they have a notice for planning in the field beside romar furniture on pearse road

Been there for a long time. Planning permission was refused afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Been there for a long time. Planning permission was refused afaik.
    Any positive progression in usually resisted in Sligo by its business golden circle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Chamber of commerce is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭pauldry

The only hope you have of ever seeing Aldi in Sligo would be if Carrick became so big we were its suburb!

Same goes for replacement Tesco and MnS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chef76

Its opening where the Oaktree used to be! There'll be a chemist there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

chef76 wrote: »
    Its opening where the Oaktree used to be! There'll be a chemist there too...
    Construction well on at the moment. Supposed to be open in May apparently.

Anyone know what date this is opening? It's in the Weekender but I don't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

"Late May" is all they say, no exact date...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump!

Opening Thursday 31st May at 9am..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Basq wrote: »
    Bump!

Opening Thursday 31st May at 9am..

'Late May' indeed. :(

Opening today apparently. Anybody been in yet? I wonder what the parking is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Opening today apparently. Anybody been in yet? I wonder what the parking is like?

Someone told me it opened on Saturday so like a pleb I went over yesterday and there were a lot of cars in the car park and people inside. I went in the doors and this young girl ask me was I there to put up the laminates???

Anyway after clarification that this morning was indeed the official opening day, I slinked out and will give it a couple of weeks before I show my face over there again. But to answer your question theres a good sized car park but I would say it'd be jammered on a Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Think there's space for 80-something cars. They had a guy out directing traffic today, it was that busy. Place was understandably wedged inside, just ghrabbed a few bits to try the place out.

Currently having a sammich consisting of some seeded bread i got there - pretty tasty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, took a wander in earlier after I voted.

Some nice choice in there alright.. spent about €25 and they were giving out free heavy duty bags. Not too shabby!

Even though it was busy, it definitely felt roomier than Lidl. And staff were very friendly too.. something that's a little lacking from our local Lidl as of late IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

it was basically just the same as Lidl but with english words on the packages. even the layout was similar. though i think Lidl is still cheapest. but i will be shopping at Aldi a lot as its closer to me.

i'm glad it's opened. tesco is dirty and expensive. dunnes stores is expensive and has crap selection and u have to travel a mile to get to the frozen food at the rear corner of the shop. also the tesco staff are brutal. i got asked for ID buying a bottle of Bailey's for my mother on mother's day and even though i had a college ID with my photo and birthday they wouldnt sell it to me. now i have been told i look a bit younger than my age... but i turned 18 in 1998.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

sligoface wrote: »
    it was basically just the same as Lidl but with english words on the packages. even the layout was similar. though i think Lidl is still cheapest. but i will be shopping at Aldi a lot as its closer to me.

i'm glad it's opened. tesco is dirty and expensive. dunnes stores is expensive and has crap selection and u have to travel a mile to get to the frozen food at the rear corner of the shop. also the tesco staff are brutal. i got asked for ID buying a bottle of Bailey's for my mother on mother's day and even though i had a college ID with my photo and birthday they wouldnt sell it to me. now i have been told i look a bit younger than my age... but i turned 18 in 1998.:confused:
    Luckey you!!!!

I finally got in there yesterday. The car park is too small, it was chaos trying to get in and out. The 2 euro for the trolley is daft....people were rooting through their pockets looking for 2 euro.
    Also I think it's in a bad place opposite where Dunnes get their deliveries. It's can get quite congested there with lorries reversing in and out to Dunnes.
    On the plus side, it's clean, they have a better selection of peanuts (I have no life :rolleyes:) than Lidl. The staff seem friendly and no long queues when I was there.

sligoface wrote: »
    though i think Lidl is still cheapest. but i will be shopping at Aldi a lot as its closer to me.
    What? There is like a 2 minute walk in the difference :confused:

An article on Sligo today about it: http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=20389

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

magnumlady wrote: »
    An article on Sligo today about it: http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=20389

Yes, the car park is too small and the location isn't ideal but that is hardly Aldi's fault. They did try to locate elsewhere (Pearse Road?) and were prevented from doing so by the Chamber of Horrors, who clearly don't want to fill the empty units at Cleveragh and Carraroe. :rolleyes:

An Aldi in Carrick on Shannon is due to open in the not too distant future. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

god that article is some rant:rolleyes:. over exaggeration springs to mind. I was there in the morning it opened and it wasnt that bad obviously if any large retail store opens its going to be packed the first few days its open with people wanting to see what its like. who ever wrote that obviously forgot when dunnes didnt have a two story car park or that aldi was built on a derelict site where the building was crumbling apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

what a load of Bull that article its like something wrote by a combo of lidl and dunnes PR people.
    would not heed that sligotoday,any way has there been any bother since dont think so as said its a one off.

Advertisement