Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork Suggestions

Options
  • 17-05-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm planning a short visit to West Cork in the not too distant future. Just wondering, can anyone suggest a nice village/town (pretty preferably) to stay in?
    Any suggestions on nice drives would also be greatly welcomed. We hope to stay somewhere between Cork and Bantry!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Plenty of choices, what is it yere planning on doing? Is it for a couple or a family? Beaches or walks?
    Think clonakilty is best for for pubs and if you have a car for beaches too. Rosscarberry has a nice beach and closer to town.
    Bantry or castletownbere is best for hillwalking.
    Countryside beautifull in both sides of west cork and schull can be good in between choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'd recommend Schull, I've been there a good few times, most recently the May bank holiday weekend. It's a great little town, surrounded by beautiful countryside, and right on the coast. There's plenty of accommodation there, and not too expensive until you hit school holiday time. There's a good few restaurants, quite a few pubs, a medium sized supermarket, plenty of things to do around the area if you have a car and a few to do if you don't. You can get a ferry to Cape Clear. Baltimore and Crookhaven are just around the corner. Skibereen is just up the road, and thats a big town for a rural area. There's a bus to and from it from Cork every day.

I'd highly recommend it if you want the typical West Cork experience. I can give you an accommodation recommendation if you'd like as well. Stayed in a cottage just a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Pretty much all of West Cork is beautiful.Hence why a lot of English,Dutch, Germans,French etc. live there.A lot of famous people also live there such as actor Jeremy Irons who lives in Ballydehob in a pink castle.Actress Maureen O Hara lives in Glengarriff.TV presenter Graham Norton also has a holiday home there,he is from Bandon.
    My advice to you would be drive the N71 road starting in Bandon and go all the way to Allihies,which is nearly the furthest west.Absolutely beautiful on a sunny day.As for places to stay Glandore,Rosscarbery,Courtmacsherry and Glengarriff would be all villages if you dont want the hussle and bustle of the towns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WestCorkMap22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

Any suggestions on nice drives would also be greatly welcomed. We hope to stay somewhere between Cork and Bantry!!!

Consider Glengariff, and it's near to Bantry as well.

Advertisement