Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good and novel house ideas.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭funnyname

Great thread and best of luck with the build.

I saw this in another thread and think it's a great idea especially given that you are thinking of other green solutions for your house.
    Having said all that I would change our building regulations wiring specs right now to ensure that a length of cooker wire is run from the Fuse Board to the front door....for future electric car charging and that the fuseboard is big enough for Interlocks . We don't want a repeat of the comms ducting ballsup of the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

On back boilers I would say don't, they do have a cost, they take heat out of the fire, I had one, you got not heat out of it as it was constantly circulating energy away from the fire.

Once it was shut down you could feel roughly twice the heat out of it as before, add in the cost of it and the size, i'd say it's not worth it.

It also takes eons to heat the water to a temp where it will circulate. So you need to have gas or oil either way.

On another point, keep you attic as an attic, I found even with insulation if you use this space as a bedroom it just gets too hot during the summer, you need a gap between the roof and the first floor/ground floor. This is with concrete tiles anyway, as they absorb a lot of heat and hold onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I just don't understand why so few houses have attached garages given the shocking weather that Ireland experiences most of the time. This will be the number one thing on my list when I either buy or build An attached garage with direct access to the house without having to go outside is essential I think. Keeps you dry from the rain when bring in the groceries, loading kids into the car etc & saves having to defrost the car every morning for months on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

True Very few garages these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Stuff already mentioned, attached garage, storage for recycling, pantry, covered clothes line. Also using wood for heating, on an acre you could be self sufficient, with oil as a back up.

Boot room, ie back porch for when kids are running in and out, likewise a lop they can use without traipsing through hall. No to upstairs laundry, its a fire hazard.
    Walk in wardrobe, storage cubby for cleaning products, hoover etc upstairs. Lots of storage for toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

TomTom wrote: »
    I am about to embark on building my own house. I have rented and renovated in the past and as part of the build I am trying to build a list of all the things over the years I wanted in my own home and also a list of things that annoyed me.

While there are a few disjointed lists on boards already, what are peoples ideas on must have, creative, time saving, energy/money saving ideas for new houses.

My wife wants to put a laundry room upstairs as most of the clothes originate there and go back there so no need to be lumbering it up and down the stairs.

We are putting in a play room but I am designing it in a way that if either of my parents need to move in later in life, it can easily be converted into a down stairs bedroom.

All ideas are welcome as I only intend on building once so would like to incorporate as many ideas as possible and do it right the first time.

THIS thread over in the construction forum is full of similar ideas from people OP. You should have a good read of it, some great advice in there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Wiring for the electric car is a super idea. I applied for an electric car trial in work and when they seen my commute mileage I was declined as they were not sure the cars on trial would get me home. But I have high hopes for the future.

I wanted to put an attached garage but my wife was too against it. Instead I am going for a larger shed so I can drive my car in during the winter. I leave for work at 5:30 am most mornings and it drives me mad defrosting the car.

Cheers for the link Fozzie Bear, reposting usual drives me mad. I could not find the construction form to be honest.

Advertisement