Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling advice needed

• 17-05-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a bathroom to be tiled but all the walls are curently
    painted with matt emulsion paint.

I have read on the internet its not recomended to tile on top of paint matt emulsion .

I have tried sanding but its near impossible to sand it all off would
    scraping the walls in zig zags with a scraper be enough to prepare it?

or can anyone recommend the best way of preparing the walls.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can scrape emulsion off slab pretty easily with a good sharp scraper.
    It doesn't have to be 100% but as long as you get the majority off it should be fine.
    What happens is the emulsion softens with water and the tile cement won't grip to the wall.
    You could probably use one of those steam guns to soften it and wipe it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You dont need to scrape the emulsion off as far as i am aware. You just scrape off the loose flakes then scour the wall and prime it. If you are worried give it as best a sanding as you can then scour it a lot and give it 2 coats of primer.

Hopefully a professional tiler will confirm his methods but this what the lads that worked for me did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Valdes

ALternatively you can score the surface using a home-made device - probably a quicker solution. What I did was make up a "scorer" using a bit of scrap wood 3x1" and put 6 screws through it. Don't use too much force as it will damage the plaster too deeply.

The tips of the screws will score the surface making a good rough bonding surface for the tile adhesive.

Make sure you remove as much dust and debris as possible before tiling though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Thanks for the replys.

I will score away so and I got a primer called 918 today recomended by the tile shop, l thinks an acrylic base and they said after scoring apply the primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Your right in that its never recommended that you tile over paint. Can i ask what the background is you're trying to tile onto? The potential problem / failure you could encounter is that the adhesive bonds to the tile and paint fine but the paint cant support the combined weight of the adhesive and tile. Worst case scenario is the tiles come away from the wall with the paint on the adhesive.

So its imperative that you remove as much paint as possible. You might get away with it if its just patches here and there. Primer 918 is fine and works on nearly all surfaces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Your right in that its never recommended that you tile over paint. Can i ask what the background is you're trying to tile onto? The potential problem / failure you could encounter is that the adhesive bonds to the tile and paint fine but the paint cant support the combined weight of the adhesive and tile. Worst case scenario is the tiles come away from the wall with the paint on the adhesive.

So its imperative that you remove as much paint as possible. You might get away with it if its just patches here and there. Primer 918 is fine and works on nearly all surfaces

Hi corker the walls are plaster board with a skimcoat of plaster over.

The tiles come in boxes of 12 and each box weights 27kg which seems heavy to me but l dont know the weight of tiles.

Im justing I might get an electric sander from a hire shop tomorrow with rough sanp paper I'd say that would work.

I painted the walls originally and the base coat would of been diluted with water so its soaked right in.
    The paint isnt budging with the scrapper.

I bought some 40 grade sandpaper today and it is getting it off but its very slow by hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I recently tiled our bathroom and had the same problem as you. I used a large flat head screw driver and scraped diagonal lines about an inch apart, then I scraped another diagonal line but in the opposite direction. It almost covered the entire wall. Gave it a brush with primer and on with the tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

U don't need to go mad with scoring the walls. a stanley knife will do the job. Then prime walls (as said by previous posts) then I would use flexiable adhesive and you will have no hassle.

I have tiled laods of house with paint on the walls and i had no come back from client so good luck with it.

Advertisement