Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV/Suggestions

Options
  • 17-05-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Basically, my granny has been targeted by a group of individuals offering services and charging extortionate prices - she is effected by alzimers so we are looking to install a system as reccomended by the Gardi.
    We need a CCTV system that covers all four corners of the house, and if possible can be monitored at an online portal (she has access to broadband) that records upon movement and continious to a HD

or if theres something like NetWatch but we get informed when there is someone on the property? if this is not possible just a CCTV system.
    any recommendations for companies for this task? and what It might cost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Kevin! wrote: »
    Hello,

Basically, my granny has been targeted by a group of individuals offering services and charging extortionate prices - she is effected by alzimers so we are looking to install a system as reccomended by the Gardi.
    We need a CCTV system that covers all four corners of the house, and if possible can be monitored at an online portal (she has access to broadband) that records upon movement and continious to a HD

or if theres something like NetWatch but we get informed when there is someone on the property? if this is not possible just a CCTV system.
    any recommendations for companies for this task? and what It might cost

You could ring a few of the company's on the suppliers list for quotes. Price wise you would need to know what routes will be needed for the cables runs. What cameras would suit to give the best picture. Only a site survey would determine this. The more you spend on the system the better quality you should get.
    Having Netwatch monitor the CCTV costs in the thousands per year so the cheaper option would be to install a system you can view over the internet. Most DVRs out there have this feature.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are looking for central station monitoring shop around.
    There are lots that are cheaper than Netwatch , still expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

We were going to put CCTV in ourselves about two years ago. I found that some of the guys were just rip off merchants, but the worst was a chap who was going to do it as a nixer. His price for an 7 camera system was dearer than the regular firms !!

There are some systems available through Maplan, but as is usually the case in Ireland they are much cheaper in the Northern Ireland stores than here . But if you do know someone who is handy then that might be a alternative.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are buying from Maplins, Argos , Peats or the likes check if the unit has digital watermarking.
    Without that recorded images are useless as evidence of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

280special wrote: »
    We were going to put CCTV in ourselves about two years ago. I found that some of the guys were just rip off merchants, but the worst was a chap who was going to do it as a nixer. His price for an 7 camera system was dearer than the regular firms !!

There are some systems available through Maplan, but as is usually the case in Ireland they are much cheaper in the Northern Ireland stores than here . But if you do know someone who is handy then that might be a alternative.

The better quality of a system you get installed by most installers will cost more. To recommend installing one of maplins systems means you dont know much about the systems they use. Although you will see high spec on most of there camera kits they are far from it. I am sure if the OP is looking for a quality system that he can use to view who is calling plus any evidence that is recorded used to help. I would advise the OP to stay away from equipment from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Ring around and get a few quotes. Each company should provide a quote and a detailed specification for the system outlining each piece of equipment they intend to use
    Expect to pay between 1500 - 2000.

Advertisement