Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping cash in the house

Options
  • 17-05-2011 10:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of taking my small amount of saved money out of the bank and keeping it in the house, anyone else doin this? Did you buy a safe? Or I'm I been stupid and taking a risk of losing it all...robbery/ fire risks:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

Doom wrote: »
    I was thinking of taking my small amount of saved money out of the bank and keeping it in the house, anyone else doin this? Did you buy a safe? Or I'm I been stupid and taking a risk of losing it all...robbery/ fire risks:confused:
    Not at all.. where do you live.............?;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Not at all.. where do you live.............?;)

I'm the drug dealer next door to ya, with the 2011 bmw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

put it in a foreign bank?

put it in a foreign bank?

Looked up some stuff on that, doesn't look that easy to do ...needing a local address and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is it really 100% safe anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

you'd need to have a super way to stash it.

Old guy died and left a house to someone and they thought he was stoney broke. Years later, they found a stashed box of money in the middle of his clamp of turf. 20k noice.

So hide it well, but not too well ;)

At least it will be In my house if the sh*t hits the fan, banks can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

It's still in Euros in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

At least it will be In my house if the sh*t hits the fan, banks can't get it.

If it gets to a point where the banks and country are in so much trouble that you wouldn't want to have your money in there because they'll either take it all, or have it taken from them, then any cash you have in your house will be worthless. Taking your money out of the bank due to fears about what might happen is a stupid waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

You only live once buddy, Coke and Hookers FTW! :D

On a more serious note :o I'd still leave it in the bank where common criminals can't steal it and if you are that worried you could just go up to the North and set up a Bank account with Ulster Bank, and you don't have to be living there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

You can get interest rates of up to 4% from banks. Your money is guaranteed by the state and despite what the naysayers will tell you, the country is not going broke anytime soon.

Keeping it at home and you're money loses value due to inflation and is at risk of theft & fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Why don't you fold it in two and double your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lawher

Stinicker wrote: »
    You only live once buddy, Coke and Hookers FTW! :D

On a more serious note :o I'd still leave it in the bank where common criminals can't steal it and if you are that worried you could just go up to the North and set up a Bank account with Ulster Bank, and you don't have to be living there either.

Setting up foreign bank accounts and forgetting to pay taxes here on them ....wasn't that a big scandal in the 90s? How easy would it be to access money in a foreign bank if our banks crash? When all this started in 2008 I was told by the local Ulster Bank Manager that their accounts are guaranteed by two States GB & Ireland. I put most my money in Ulster, but I keep a little cash at home in case of an emergency. Now where did I hide the dosh?:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Robo Bank would be pretty damn secure and safe in respect of any banking issues in Ireland, keeping money in your house is foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lawher

Cabaal wrote: »
    Robo Bank would be pretty damn secure and safe in respect of any banking issues in Ireland, keeping money in your house is foolish
    I don't think keeping a little emergency money is any more foolish than say having jewelery or laptops etc. Anything of value that can be carted off easy can be robbed or destroyed in a fire. Just make sure the money is covered by insurance cover. What is foolish is why we pay such outrageous fees for both depositing and withdrawing money from banks in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Lawher wrote: »
    I don't think keeping a little emergency money is any more foolish than say having jewelery or laptops etc. Anything of value that can be carted off easy can be robbed or destroyed in a fire. Just make sure the money is covered by insurance cover. What is foolish is why we pay such outrageous fees for both depositing and withdrawing money from banks in Ireland.

Except that cash is totally untraceable, when a thief steals a laptop/jewelery from your house he/she has to convert it to cash, with cash you've already done that job for them

Plus your house insurance won't cover cash.

Credit Union would be a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Lawher wrote: »
    I don't think keeping a little emergency money is any more foolish than say having jewelery or laptops etc.

A little emergency money is one thing, but taking all of your money out of the bank to keep at home is definitely foolish. As mentioned above, cash cannot be traced or identified, nor is it likely that you can have it insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the_syco wrote: »

That's cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's cool

The only problem is getting electrocuted when you put the key in the wrong one.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the wrong people get wind of the fact that you have a safe in your house, then you're potentially putting your family at risk - tiger kidnapping and all that.

Best bet is a bank operating in Ireland, which is based outside Ireland - i.e. KBC or Rabobank.

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Anybody know what bus goes to Mordor?

I think it's a bad idea. How safe are Irish bank? Well the government has done everything to keep them a float including screwing us over. I'd say it's pretty safe now as it's every going to get.

Advertisement