Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 - Abandoned section at the southern end of Balbriggan bypass

Options
  • 17-05-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Meant to look at this for a while, had the phone and it was daylight as I passed

The three photos show the end of where the M1 Balbriggan bypass was at the five roads, thats the one with the overbridge and D1 under

then there's the storage of vegetable boxes at the taper where the old alignment veered off the current R132 alignment

and lastly there's the shot of the dual cariageway, showing the current use as agricultural storage. It's about half a km to the present mainline of the M1. probably illegal to go to the north end of the abandoned section.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

interesting find!

Heres it as an aerial view
    http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=five+roads&aq=&sll=53.554716,-6.211511&sspn=0.015016,0.040984&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=The+Five+Roads,+County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.557556,-6.211309&spn=0.007507,0.020492&t=h&z=16

funny that they bothered with that stub as a dual carraigeway standard when you presume they knew that it was going to be abandoned at some stage anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You can also use the osi site to see the road develop from no DC in 1995 to no motorway in 2000 and then to the current set up as it was in 2005.
    Just to ask, in 2000 was that veer to the right as we head north a cul de sac reinstated or was there always a junction there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I wonder if that yard has permission to use it for storage, I presume this is still state owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Just to ask, in 2000 was that veer to the right as we head north a cul de sac reinstated

it was reinstated. This section of road was closed from the opening of the Balbriggan bypass (95?) until the Swords bypass section opened and the road section pictured became disused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

celticbest wrote: »
    I wonder if that yard has permission to use it for storage, I presume this is still state owned?
    I'd imagine the landowner got the old motorway in some type of exchange for the cpo of the current route.

The Balbriggan bypass section of M1 was finished in 1995, the rest of the M1 south was a long time later. Driving through Balbriggan town centre today, it's hard to imagine it was the main route to Newry and Belfast from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Iv noticed lots of abandoned stretches of laneways, roads, and railways where the local business or property uses the vacant land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

Well if it stops the pikeys im all for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

oooooooh google says its exactly a 1/4 mile. Time to polish the dragster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The north bound lane was never M1, always N1.

I'm pretty sure the south bound lane was also never M1 either.

The M1 only started/ended at Rowans Road.

I'd imagine the landowner got the old motorway in some type of exchange for the cpo of the current route.

The Balbriggan bypass section of M1 was finished in 1995, the rest of the M1 south was a long time later. Driving through Balbriggan town centre today, it's hard to imagine it was the main route to Newry and Belfast from Dublin.
    It was finished and opened in 1998.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    it was reinstated. This section of road was closed from the opening of the Balbriggan bypass (95?) until the Swords bypass section opened and the road section pictured became disused.
    It was never a cul de sac or was never closed. It was a southbound lane only which merged with the section of road which is now closed. I used to use it daily.

It reverted to two way traffic in 2003 when the M1 Balbriggan -> Airport section of the M1 opened.

Prior to that only what is now the off ramp northbound at junction five was in use. The on ramp southbound was not built until 2002/2003 and only came into use when the Balbriggan -> section opened in 2003.

Advertisement