Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veggie cookbook

Options
  • 17-05-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

hey,
    can you recommend some veggie cookbooks that are reliable? there are loads of them in easons and the likes but i really need some that are easy to follow and actually work consistently.

Comments

I don't often buy cookbooks. I tend to scot around on the internet for recipes.
    There is a sticky at the top of the forum with good recipes websites. They will often come with reviews and tips from people who have tried the recipe before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hi OP,

I'm not a vegetarian but I'm trying to cut down on meat and now rarely cook or prepare meat at home. On the recommendation of a boards.ie user, I bought The Classic 1000 Vegetarian Recipes and I use it quite a bit.
    The recipes are very basic and use a good range of ingredients (have to say, I'm guilty of lobbing summer vegetables into the shopping basket year round: it was past time for me to learn how to cook winter veg).
    On the other hand, its very plain presentation does make it feel like a school home economics book and there are very few pictures of the finished dish. Not sure how you feel about those issues: they're deal-breakers for some people
    Good luck!
    Ooh... forgot to include author and publisher details: it's by Carolyn Humphries and it's published by Foulsham

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I love Rose Elliots New Complete Vegetarian, its excellent with tons of easy recipes, and they all work out well, I use it a few times every week.

mimihops wrote: »
    I love Rose Elliots New Complete Vegetarian, its excellent with tons of easy recipes, and they all work out well, I use it a few times every week.

Is that the one with the emphasis on low carb veggie cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Definitely not, I love my carbs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't often buy cookbooks. I tend to scot around on the internet for recipes.
    There is a sticky at the top of the forum with good recipes websites. They will often come with reviews and tips from people who have tried the recipe before.
    i have looked through them. i'm just looking for a book that i can always have in front of me and read through quickly insted of going through the internet :) thanks though!!!:D
    Hi OP,

I'm not a vegetarian but I'm trying to cut down on meat and now rarely cook or prepare meat at home. On the recommendation of a boards.ie user, I bought The Classic 1000 Vegetarian Recipes and I use it quite a bit.
    The recipes are very basic and use a good range of ingredients (have to say, I'm guilty of lobbing summer vegetables into the shopping basket year round: it was past time for me to learn how to cook winter veg).
    On the other hand, its very plain presentation does make it feel like a school home economics book and there are very few pictures of the finished dish. Not sure how you feel about those issues: they're deal-breakers for some people
    Good luck!
    i've never heard of that one so might have a look for it. i'm not too fussed about the pictures tbh. it justs makes it handier to have them but its not a deal breaker. as long as its a trustworthy book and the food actually has flavour then its all good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Delia Smith's veggie cookbook is great, everything works if you follow it exactly. Have cooked quite a few from this and it also has lots of baking/pudding recipes which some veggie cookbooks can be a little poor on.

Just checked on Book Depository
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Delias-Vegetarian-Collection-Delia-Smith/9780563488187
    There's an extra 10% off if you buy today and enter MAY11 at checkout, so that would be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Simple: The Vegetarian Student Cookbook is just what you'd expect, lots of easy to make meals that usually take a short time to cook. Full of usual favorites like bean burgers, but also very simple things like Nachos and a little cocktail section:) Good for simple single meals or party food.

Medium difficulty: The Accidental Vegetarian and The Seasoned Vegetarian by Simon Rimmer have some nice ideas, not too laborious but still nice enough to make for a small dinner party/special meal. Full of favorites that usually contain meat like Spaghetti Carbonara.

Complex: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi is full of very nice, complex meals, require a lot of ingredients in most cases, but defo worth it, a large variety of tastes and textures. Lovely squishy cover too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I second the Vegetarian Student Cookbook.

For more gourmet, veggie food I recommend Leith's Vegetable Bible, complex, time consuming but delicious recipes. Perfect for a dinner party.

I haven't made much from it to be honest but I love the look of and content of Cornucopia at Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

i love buying cook books, so many good ones out there but my two go to books are rose elliots, new complete vegetarian as already mentioned and the good housekeeping step by step cookbook, dont be put off by title, great book:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Housekeeping-Step-Vegetarian-Cookbook/dp/0091851645/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308180110&sr=8-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering id anybody has the Cornucopia cookbook and if so would you recommend it?
    Thanks,
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

oh i'd love to hear feedback about that one too. i just bought Veg by hugh fearnley whittingstal and i Love it! i'm also lookin for a good vegetarian book for slow cookers but can't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

snollup wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm just wondering id anybody has the Cornucopia cookbook and if so would you recommend it?
    Thanks,
    S.

I've had mine for over a year and I've only made 2 recipes in it. Its a bit wordy at the start. None of the recipes I made were spectacular either. It's just a lovely book to flick through, the start warms your heart and the pictures whet your appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I've had mine for over a year and I've only made 2 recipes in it. Its a bit wordy at the start. None of the recipes I made were spectacular either. It's just a lovely book to flick through, the start warms your heart and the pictures whet your appetite.

I agree. I got the book and thoroughly enjoyed reading through the first few pages, and looking at the delicious photos :D I can't actually say that I used any of the recipes...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

My favourite for the last while has been the Asian Vegan Kitchen. Lots of flavour packed things in there.

Also use vegweb and theppk.com for a lot of stuff

I do have VWAV and Veganomicon and do a few things from there but they can vary in how the food turns out and also we cant easily get some of the stuff they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

Ha ha squishy cover! :)

I really like Simon Rimmer's two books, I think one of the reasons his recipes work so well is because he is a carnivore, that probably sounds odd. He tries to make veggie versions of meat classics, his aubergine tikka masala is amazing. I have never made something from his books that my meat eating friends didn't love. I'm hoping to make his sausages but I haven't seen the cheese he refers too. Coincidentally Yotam Ottolenghi is a carnivore too! I've only made the lemon and aubergine risotto from that, and the butternut squash chips with the dip, they both had restaurant quality flavours. Thumbs up. Some of the ingredients are hard to find though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I do love Ottolenghi, even though his recipes can be involved and not hugely suitable for a veggie who's only cooking for one person! I keep hoping someday I'll have an excuse to throw a vegetarian dinner party so I can really go to town on the curries and tarts in there. The black pepper tofu became a staple for me though, it's very nice.

I just bought Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian and it looks exciting. Like Ottolenghi she's actually an omnivore chef. There's a HUGE amount of recipes in there but nicely broken down into categories like vegetables, pulses, etc., a lot of the recipes contain variation ideas, and there's a good mix of complex and simple recipes.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Veganomicon, found it very US-centric.

For simple stuff, the Vegetarian Student Cookbook is great, I still flick through it all the time when I'm stuck for what I want for dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kirw2n

Any of the River Cottage vegetarian cookbooks are amazing and beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

kirw2n wrote: »
    Any of the River Cottage vegetarian cookbooks are amazing and beautiful.

Was lucky enough to receive a copy of Hugh Fearnley W....., Veg Every Day for my birthday recently and must say it is a fantastic book. Have only made 5 or 6 things from it yet but it seems to be a really practical book.

I'm not vegetarian but have gone from eating meat every day to having it only about 3 days a week!

Advertisement