Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless alarm for 5 bed hse

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to get a wireless alarm for a 5 bed house?

I am assuming the bigger the house, the more it will cost?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It really needs a good survey to see whats required.
    Ideally Shock sensors on all ground floor & accessible windows/doors + 2 PiRs
    For 10 devices say around €850 upwards.
    Beware when listening to Eircoms adverts says 8 devices they will possibly count a sensor / contact as 2 even though they can be a single device.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I suppose the best thing is to ring ppl and get some quotes.

I was just inquiring if anyone had got one installed lately and how much it cost them.

Would it be cheaper if I could buy it and install it myself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Obviously cheaper if you install it yourself.
    If you want to go that road look around some of the suppliers in the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

verywell wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to get a wireless alarm for a 5 bed house?

I am assuming the bigger the house, the more it will cost?

Thank you.

Thats correct, the more devices you need the more it will cost.
    The best advice that can be given is get a few quotes of installers, as a site survey would need to be carried out to determine what you need covered. Only cover accessible windows and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

I'm thinking about getting a wireless alarm, I would like one with GSM, can this be used without a landline

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

GSM is considered not secure in the security industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    GSM is considered not secure in the security industry.

Did not know that, its just I'm looking for an alarm where it will dial numbers if an intruder is detected, I do'nt have a land line, are their any alternatives

jacknife wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a wireless alarm, I would like one with GSM, can this be used without a landline

The powermax complete system with a GSM would be the cheapest option available. Although not as secure as a protected phone line they all have there down side.

jacknife wrote: »
    Did not know that, its just I'm looking for an alarm where it will dial numbers if an intruder is detected, I do'nt have a land line, are their any alternatives

Radio to a monitoring station is the most secure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Well there is really only the following:
    IP (must have an internet connection).
    GSM (jammed)
    Landline (wires can be cut)
    Radio. (Expensive)

They all have their disadvantages. I don't know much about radio, the security experts will comment on that.

• Advertisement

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Well there is really only the following:
    IP (must have an internet connection).
    GSM (jammed)
    Landline (wires can be cut)
    Radio. (Expensive)

They all have their disadvantages. I don't know much about radio, the security experts will comment on that.

It is expensive €450 for the radio, monitoring €450.

Advertisement