Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to UCD

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi hows it going,

I was just wondering if there's anyone on this who travels to UCD from Ashbourne/ surronding Meath area.
    I'm just curious as to how u get to UCD?

At the moment UCD is second on my CAO purely just because its harder to get to than TCD and more expensive! I'm applying to the General Science course in both colleges, then thirdly is General Science in NUIM.

I'd love to do both of the courses and the travel distance is the only thing splitting my decision..

So if anyone has anything they would be able to share with me it'd be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hi hows it going,

I was just wondering if there's anyone on this who travels to UCD from Ashbourne/ surronding Meath area.
    I'm just curious as to how u get to UCD?

At the moment UCD is second on my CAO purely just because its harder to get to than TCD and more expensive! I'm applying to the General Science course in both colleges, then thirdly is General Science in NUIM.

I'd love to do both of the courses and the travel distance is the only thing splitting my decision..

So if anyone has anything they would be able to share with me it'd be greatly appreciated!

If you can get to Trinity it is only an extra 25 minutes or so out to UCD for the price of a Dublin bus ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

UCD is only about 15/20 more minutes from town.

That said, that extra bus will tend to wear down your motivation to get out of bed and go to class. I found the same when I was going to DCU and I ended up dropping out. I would always go for the closer option myself.

Are the courses considered equivalent?

edit: My friend from Ashbourne drove to UCD and then ended up moving out to somewhere close to campus for 2nd and 3rd year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

If travel is your main concern I'd go with Trinity in your case. Changing buses, cross city rush hour traffic, etc..., will get more and more wearying as time goes by. That's not to say it isn't possible, I knew people who commuted daily to UCD from North County Dublin and beyond, but your life will be that bit easier if you only have to get one bus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The hardest part will be getting to Trinity. While the extra bus is annoying, if you get as far as Nassau Street, beside Trinity, for example, there are lots of buses that will bring you to UCD so you won't be waiting around for ages - 39a, 145, 46a are all frequent buses that serve Nassau Street and UCD. They come roughly every 10-15 minutes (I'm not sure about the 145, but the other two usually do).

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Thanks for the replies :) i havnt gotten many dublin buses before and was just curious if anyone had any experience!
    Much appreciated thanks!
    I'm probably going to stick with TCD first, just a matter of getting the points now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

The hardest part will be getting to Trinity. While the extra bus is annoying, if you get as far as Nassau Street, beside Trinity, for example, there are lots of buses that will bring you to UCD so you won't be waiting around for ages - 39a, 145, 46a are all frequent buses that serve Nassau Street and UCD. They come roughly every 10-15 minutes (I'm not sure about the 145, but the other two usually do).

I am a troll.
    I am banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I'd big up this reply, I'm from Meath myself and not doing general science but a science and I travel up everyday. The hardest part is definitely getting to TCD, once you hit Nassau street you have literally 10 buses to choose from so it'll be max 25 mins from there. I got the €80 bus ticket which was unlimited travel (inc.the X which was a godsend in the evenings) for 6 college weeks if you don't use it on the weekends because its a 30 day ticket.

That being said, I lived out for one semester and I fully intend on moving up next year, nothing to do with the jaunt out to UCD from town, purely because I felt left out of some things! Happy studying for the lc, best of luck!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

There's a bus at ten past 7 from Ashbourne that goes straight to UCD, the 109A.

i thought that only went to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No it definitely goes to UCD I don't know why it's not showing on the timetable, It definitely does exist though I commuted for the first week so I stayed with a relative in Navan and I took either the 109 or the 109A whichever arrived first even though they're both due at 10 to 7.

• Advertisement

yea it just says it goes to DCU?
    thats odd.. cheers for letting me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

The 25X goes through town and goes straight into Belfield early in the AM, im 90% sure one of its bus stops is right beside trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

When I was commuting I used to see a Bus Éireann bus that came into UCD campus about 8:30 or so, must be the Navan one. I don't think there's a return working in the evening though so you'd probably have to get another bus into the city going home.

thanks for all the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Is it not the 103 that goes from Ashbourne?

I commute from Swords every day, it's really not baad travelling, nice to have that bit of time to think in the mornings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

The 109A doesn't go to UCD at all, it only goes to DCU, via the airport.
    The 109 goes to UCD at 7.10 from Dunshaughlin and the 7.45 from Ratoath goes to UCD, this bus stops in Ashnourne at 8 and will get you to UCD for 9.05, apparently!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

No it definitely goes to UCD I don't know why it's not showing on the timetable, It definitely does exist though I commuted for the first week so I stayed with a relative in Navan and I took either the 109 or the 109A whichever arrived first even though they're both due at 10 to 7.

The 109 from Kells goes directly to UCD if you get the right one in the morning. (I think its the six am bus but check the time table!!!) I get it the Monday morning sometimes from Kells. It stops in Navan so that's probably the bus you got.... As far as I'm aware the 109A only goes to DCU. Also, just in case there's anymore poor sods from Kells going to DCU the 109A originates in NAVAN. (I had a friend make this mistake a few times) I had no idea the 109 stopped in Ashbourne though.... Just shows how much attention I've been paying. I've taken that bus ten years now! :rolleyes:

Advertisement