Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools - Wexford Town

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have started looking in to enrolling the little one in a primary school in Wexford Town. She is only 6 months old now but to be honest I'd rather have her down somewhere early if possible than not get her a place later!

Ideally I would love to send her to a gaelscoil, does anyone here have any experience of the gaelscoil in town? I think its in Clonard. Also has anybody got any reports of the Educate Together school?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 verbatim2

Gaelscoil would be my choice also as it more or less guarantees 90-100 points in the leaving cert in a subject where most will struggle to get big points. I've heard its a good school too. Barntown has a good reputation even though it is outside town. Nice kids out there. Mercy is well run as well as coolcotts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No personal offence meant but you' re giving advice on how a 6 month old child can maximise their points in the Leaving Cert. What the F have we come to as a society?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I think what verbatim2 meant is that the long term prospects are better in general. For example - If I did not put her into a gaelscoil from the beginning, the likelihood is that she wouldn't have a good enough standard of Irish to go into an Irish speaking secondary school when the time came.

I am not exactly worrying about her CAO points just yet, as you can well imagine, but I want to keep open as many paths and possibilities as I can for her. This is one of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

You can't pick and choose what primary school the child goes to it depends on were you live. The child goes to the school nearest to there address unless you place the grandparents down as next of kin\person to collect them then you can get them in the school near the grandparents.

Granted I don't know much about schools in Wexford but this sounds a bit ridiculous? I can understand local kids getting preferance, but to only be allowed to attend the closest school to your house? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Lola92 wrote: »
    Granted I don't know much about schools in Wexford but this sounds a bit ridiculous? I can understand local kids getting preferance, but to only be allowed to attend the closest school to your house? :confused:

Thats the rules each school has a catchment area. If there was an older sibling in a school thats outside the catchment area you could get the child in that way but they are the rules.

A catchment area is different to only being allowed to attend the school closest to you. I do understand what you mean though. Children living within a schools catchment area get preference for places over children who do not live locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 verbatim2

the rules are different in different schools. Schools can take kids from anywhere, but if they are getting full then they take the kids in the area among other criteria which differ depending on the school. Lots of kids go to schools not in their area.

Oldyouth, kids are sent to school so they can learn and get good jobs. Points= good job. I know its not a good system but that's the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

McLoughlin wrote: »
    You can't pick and choose what primary school the child goes to it depends on were you live. The child goes to the school nearest to there address unless you place the grandparents down as next of kin\person to collect them then you can get them in the school near the grandparents.

Erm...yes you can. Far be it for me to question your absolute knowledge of Wexford, but you can send your kids anywhere to school. As been said before, catchment area pupils will get preference if places are filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lola21

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the Educate together Ns in Wexford?

• Advertisement

I have my girl down to start there in a few years. They have a website - link here. There is quite a bit of information on it as well as monthly updates on school activities etc. so it is worth a read. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Ideally I would love to send her to a gaelscoil, does anyone here have any experience of the gaelscoil in town? I think its in Clonard.

I went to the Gaelscoil, it's in Bishopswater and I would highly recommend it. The Gaelscoil helped me so much with Irish in Secondary, I got a B2 in Higher Level LC Irish which is pretty much unheard of anymore. All of my friends say that they would love to have liked Irish in school but they hated it because of bad teaching and the difficulty of it.

What I would say to you if you do end up sending her there, is watch her Maths. I really struggled with Maths in Secondary because I learned maths in Irish in National School. Not everybody was the same but I didnt have a great head for numbers anyway and I dont think the Irish helped, I failed LC Ord Level Maths so I'd keep an eye on that!

I still dont know most of the prayers in English too so I'm the only one when I do go to mass who speaks in Irish :D

Edit: The Maths part only applies if you send her to an English speaking Secondary school, hopefully by the time she finishes primary, there will be an Irish speaking Secondary in Wexford Town!!

McLoughlin wrote: »

I lived 12 miles away from my Primary School, and didnt have any relatives close to it :confused:

I went to the Gaelscoil, it's in Bishopswater and I would highly recommend it. The Gaelscoil helped me so much with Irish in Secondary, I got a B2 in Higher Level LC Irish which is pretty much unheard of anymore. All of my friends say that they would love to have liked Irish in school but they hated it because of bad teaching and the difficulty of it.

What I would say to you if you do end up sending her there, is watch her Maths. I really struggled with Maths in Secondary because I learned maths in Irish in National School. Not everybody was the same but I didnt have a great head for numbers anyway and I dont think the Irish helped, I failed LC Ord Level Maths so I'd keep an eye on that!

I still dont know most of the prayers in English too so I'm the only one when I do go to mass who speaks in Irish :D

Edit: The Maths part only applies if you send her to an English speaking Secondary school, hopefully by the time she finishes primary, there will be an Irish speaking Secondary in Wexford Town!!

I speak some Irish to her myself at home, though admittedly not enough. I got a B1 in Higher Level Irish and was very disappointed with it but I didn't go to a gaelscoil, I was expecting an A. They are not that uncommon! :) I have decided against sending her to the gaelscoil due to some issues my partners son has had there that I don't really want to go into on a public forum. Also, as she is not catholic and my partner and I are no longer practising we thought an ET multi-denominational school would be a better option.

I speak some Irish to her myself at home, though admittedly not enough. I got a B1 in Higher Level Irish and was very disappointed with it but I didn't go to a gaelscoil, I was expecting an A. They are not that uncommon! :) I have decided against sending her to the gaelscoil due to some issues my partners son has had there that I don't really want to go into on a public forum. Also, as she is not catholic and my partner and I are no longer practising we thought an ET multi-denominational school would be a better option.

Ah right, the only reason I said that they are uncommon is that there were only 7 people doing higher level in my school and I got the highest, next down was a C2, so I suppose it depends. Knowing Irish did help me with my French too.

Thats fair enough its your choice afterall :)

Advertisement