Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems With Lets Host VPS Hosting Services

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

I wonder if someone out there can help or advise me on a particular issue I am having with Lets Host? I have VPS hosting account with them. I am recently getting a message “Unable to connect to database server!” when ever I try to open my website. Lets Host have emailed me and said my VPS is online and they are not having any technical issues, which is very strange considering my website is down.

Lets Host will not even look into this unless I agree to pay them an administration fee on top of the high monthly VPS hosting fee I have being paying for almost two years. I was informed prior to taking out a VPS hosting plan with Lets Host that I wouldn’t have to worry about not knowing anything about servers as if there was any problems, Lets Host would fix them. Now they tell me this is not the case and they want more money from me before they will look into what is causing this problem. Can anyone please advise me if this is normal with VPS hosting or is Lets Host trying it on?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

By the way, if anyone from lets host wants to reply here to my above mentioned issues, please don’t as I have all your email replies and I have already stated to you what I think of your attitude :mad:.

Patrick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If the VPS is online and they are not experiencing difficulties, they probably want to charge you to troubleshoot your particular issue (which appears to be based on software installed on your VPS) which is not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 movesin

If the VPS is online and they are not experiencing difficulties, they probably want to charge you to troubleshoot your particular issue (which appears to be based on software installed on your VPS) which is not unreasonable.

Thanks Aidan for your reply. Any software installed on the VPS is provided by and installed by Lets Host. they told me prior to me taking out the VPS plan that everything I needed to run my site would be on the VPS and if there was any issues with it they would fix them and I was told this by one of the owners of Lets Host. This is why I am very disappointed in their change of attitude now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

movesin wrote: »
    Thanks Aidan for your reply. Any software installed on the VPS is provided by and installed by Lets Host. they told me prior to me taking out the VPS plan that everything I needed to run my site would be on the VPS and if there was any issues with it they would fix them and I was told this by one of the owners of Lets Host. This is why I am very disappointed in their change of attitude now.

You've mentioned this twice, thing is do you have such an agreemenf in writing and what do the T&Cs state?

Cabaal wrote: »
    You've mentioned this twice, thing is do you have such an agreemenf in writing and what do the T&Cs state?

Hi Cabaal, thanks for your reply. I am not looking to get into what terms and conditions are as this is not what the issue is and is not what I posted about. I am simply looking for some advice from other site users on what may be causing me to get the message “Unable to connect to database server!”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'm not able to be of any assistance, sorry. But I have been having numerous outage issues on my site also hosted by lets host. I've been with them for five years and never had any problems before now. They've been fobbing me off by telling me it's spikes in site usage causing outages, stats show that to be a lie.

They must be having technical issues that they won't admit to. I'm seeking a return of money paid in advance and a new hosting company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

movesin wrote: »

If you had no access to the machine then I would say the onus is on them to fix it.

If you have access to the machine then the onus is on you to fix it, or to pay Letshost to troubleshoot the issue.

A provider cannot guarantee continuity of service if the user has access to the system, otherwise the user could break the o/s or application and they would need an unlimited amount of people in support to fix problems.

I'm not able to be of any assistance, sorry. But I have been having numerous outage issues on my site also hosted by lets host. I've been with them for five years and never had any problems before now. They've been fobbing me off by telling me it's spikes in site usage causing outages, stats show that to be a lie.

They must be having technical issues that they won't admit to. I'm seeking a return of money paid in advance and a new hosting company.

Thanks for your reply. They have agreed to look into this and find out what the cause of the problem is. Is it because I posted on here? I don't know but hopefully they find and fix the problem. I have no problem paying to have the problem fixed provided the problem lies on my end but if it is on their end, then I don't see why I should pay to have it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭johnmurph01

Im with blacknight and they don't provide a management service

Keeping services running on a VPS is the responsibility of the customer. If a database issue occurs (as you said in your email) then it is your problem.

Seems perfectly reasonable that letshost will charge a fee to fix a problem if its not caused by them

Since I first posted, I took up Lets Host VPS monitoring and management service and paid the extra each month. Lets Host sold me this extra "monitoring" service on the basis that if my sites went down, their monitoring system would know about it instantly and their engineers could fix the problem straightaway. This is something I relied upon greatly to ensure my web based business operated smoothly and is why I paid the extra every month.

After yet more problems with my sites going down, December 2011 and January 2012, which Lets Host knew nothing about until I emailed their support team to informed them, I have finally found out the cause of the problem. It was in fact caused by Lets Host themselves. They have finally confirmed to me by email that “they” misconfigured my VPS monitoring and management service and although they confirmed they caused these problems, they refuse to accept any responsibility or accountability.

They have offered me a €30.00 credit to my account, which I refused. I lost a hell of a lot more than €30.00 in wasted Google pay per clicks let alone the damage caused to my business, so I told them what I thought of their offer. It is disrespectful and insulting to me and my business.

Are Lets Host now so big that they can treat their customers with such contempt? Has anyone else experienced such problems with Lets Host?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement