Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with UPC abd eircom phonewatch

• 18-05-2011 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Currently on a Vodafone 7mb connection with unlimited phone which costs €52 a month and noticed on another thread that for the same price we could be getting 50mb with UPC. The reason we havn't switched straight away is that we have an eircom phonewatch system installed and as far as we know this uses the phone line to operate.
    As line rental is included in the vodafone bundle and UPC don't use phone lines, would we have to pay the line rental seperately to eircom if we changed to UPC or would there be a way of getting around this?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Hi,

Currently on a Vodafone 7mb connection with unlimited phone which costs €52 a month and noticed on another thread that for the same price we could be getting 50mb with UPC. The reason we havn't switched straight away is that we have an eircom phonewatch system installed and as far as we know this uses the phone line to operate.
    As line rental is included in the vodafone bundle and UPC don't use phone lines, would we have to pay the line rental seperately to eircom if we changed to UPC?

Cheers

AFAIK you can have a GSM dialler for eircom phonewatch so there is no need for a phone line.

Best have a look through the home security forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Trevor451 wrote: »
    AFAIK you can have a GSM dialler for eircom phonewatch so there is no need for a phone line.

Best have a look through the home security forum.

hmm, not familiar with that but ill ask on that forum, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 papahobo

We just switched from the Eircom landline to UPC for Broadband & phone.
    We had to switch our Eircom Phonewatch over to the GSM model. It was a once-off €149 fee, with an extra metal box going on the wall above the existing Alarm central box.
    Very straight-forward. The installation guy said more & more people are going this route.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

papahobo wrote: »
    We just switched from the Eircom landline to UPC for Broadband & phone.
    We had to switch our Eircom Phonewatch over to the GSM model. It was a once-off €149 fee, with an extra metal box going on the wall above the existing Alarm central box.
    Very straight-forward. The installation guy said more & more people are going this route.
    Cheers
    Hi, just about to do the same and was wondering if you have tested the monitoring yet? Maybe by banging the window to see if they respond. Also I spoke to phonewatch earlier and they told me if my phone number changes I am to let them know so they can still contact my house phone. Common sense I know, but just thought I'd mention it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 papahobo

Hi, just about to do the same and was wondering if you have tested the monitoring yet? Maybe by banging the window to see if they respond. Also I spoke to phonewatch earlier and they told me if my phone number changes I am to let them know so they can still contact my house phone. Common sense I know, but just thought I'd mention it .

Well, the eircom phonewatch engineer tested the GSM system when he installed it, making sure it was contacting the monitoring people, which is probably more scientific than me banging on a window!
    We kept the same number with UPC - took about 3 weeks to transfer it over from the eircom line. UPC give you a temporary number in the meantime. Anyhow, the emergency numbers Phonewatch had for us were all mobile numbers, not our landline.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement