Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABC Alarms

Options
  • 18-05-2011 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Anyone ever hear or know anything about ABC Alarms in Carlow. Need to get a wireless alarm for the house and I cannot afford the expensive eircom.

Any recommendations for someone to fit an alarm or to get quotes off of?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Look up Paul Aylesbury & get a quote, he fitted a wired alarm in mine in January - I found him competitively priced plus he is established a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭altor

I would also make sure anyone you do get to install your alarm is registered as you and him would be breaking the law if they are not. If you look on the PSA website there is a list of registered installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

I used to work in the industry. PM me if you need and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

bytheglass wrote: »
    Look up Paul Aylesbury & get a quote, he fitted a wired alarm in mine in January - I found him competitively priced plus he is established a long long time

When I rang the above, their mailbox was full (not a good sign imo). I have since spoken to someone in their office and am still waiting for a quote.

Anyway, ended up getting a competitive quote for a wired alarm. This house has never been wired for an alarm before, so I assumed that this would be dearer. But judging by my quotes so far, this is not the case.

A wired alarm should be no more than 700E any more and your getting shafted. I would expect to pay about 9 for a good wireless one. Although I have seen Home Safe ones for 600E.

• Advertisement

verywell wrote: »
    When I rang the above, their mailbox was full (not a good sign imo). I have since spoken to someone in their office and am still waiting for a quote.

Anyway, ended up getting a competitive quote for a wired alarm. This house has never been wired for an alarm before, so I assumed that this would be dearer. But judging by my quotes so far, this is not the case.

If wiring the house is possible (all cables protected as per EN50131) I would go for the the wired system. Wire free alarms have one draw back and that is they need the batteries changed every couple of years. Both systems wired or wire free are as reliable as each other if maintained.

Dboy85 wrote: »
    A wired alarm should be no more than 700E any more and your getting shafted. I would expect to pay about 9 for a wireless.

That all depends on the equipment and components being installed, amount of windows, dialer, GSM. All adds up depending on what needs to be installed to protect a premises.

If I were you I'd go for the wired one. Like altor stated, the pir batteries need replacing every year but I disagree that they are as reliable as a cabled system. Like everything that uses wireless technology there is always interference. People will say if they are installed correctly they are as good but I've fitted enough to be unconvinced.

The amount I stated is for a good basic system. Check the prices yourself in an electrical store for what ever components you would like. Get a PIR for each room on the ground floor and on top of the stairs, which are like a tenner each, and contacts (E5/contact) on the front and back doors. A panel to run it all back to and 4-8 core cables to connect it all. An internal sounder and an external bell box. A Digi/Gsm is for contacting people via phone. Its not a necessity to have and either is monitoring\monitoring fee. Its not illegal to install your own alarm and tbh is the cheapest option for you.

Alarm companies try to rope you into monitoring and service contracts, which they have to provide afaik, which is where the extra cost comes in. I was an installer for various companies so I know what a rip off they can be, especially Eircom phone watch. Fitting your own alarm is straight forward enough. Get yourself a drill, multi meter, snips, screwdriver and away ya go.

If I were you I'd go for the wired one. Like altor stated, the pir batteries need replacing every year but I disagree that they are as reliable as a cabled system. Like everything that uses wireless technology there is always interference. People will say if they are installed correctly they are as good but I've fitted enough to be unconvinced.

I am giving my opinion as an installer who installs and services alarms everyday. 2-3 years is the standard for batteries on wire free devices. Wired is the way to go but I would not put any one off getting a wire free system installed either. They are reliable and the new security frequency 868 means there is less interference than the older systems using the 433 frequency. Remotes, door bell and the like all use the 433 so it had to be done. I would agree with everyone else, if a wire free system is installed and tested correctly then you will have many years protection out of your alarm system.

The amount I stated is for a good basic system. Check the prices yourself in an electrical store for what ever components you would like. Get a PIR for each room on the ground floor and on top of the stairs, which are like a tenner each, and contacts (E5/contact) on the front and back doors. A panel to run it all back to and 4-8 core cables to connect it all. An internal sounder and an external bell box. A Digi/Gsm is for contacting people via phone. Its not a necessity to have and either is monitoring\monitoring fee. Its not illegal to install your own alarm and tbh is the cheapest option for you.

The system your saying is cheap is cheap because an intruder would have to be in the premises before the alarm activates. Protecting the perimeter of a premises is always going to cost more. A trap pack like you suggest is the cheapest option if money is an issue but if not windows and doors would be what I would advise anyone to protect. A stand alone alarm or a self monitored alarm is cheaper than having to pay a yearly fee to a monitoring station.

Alarm companies try to rope you into monitoring and service contracts, which they have to provide afaik, which is where the extra cost comes in. I was an installer for various companies so I know what a rip off they can be, especially Eircom phone watch. Fitting your own alarm is straight forward enough. Get yourself a drill, multi meter, snips, screwdriver and away ya go.

How can you be roped into paying for something you dont want :confused:
    You either want the alarm monitored by a monitoring station or not.
    Any new installation that is installed to the EN50131 standard has to have a maintenance contract. If after the first year the customer decides not to have the alarm serviced the alarm becomes just a house alarm. That is the standard. It is not installers making up there own rules, just following them.

My advice would be to get a few quotes off installers quoting the components they plan to install. Installing the alarm system is always going to cost more done professionally. If you do decide to install the alarm yourself you will always get all the help you need on the home security forum.

Advertisement