Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one know what shrub/tree this is please?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Have a load of these growing out the back, the have a waxy leaf and there is some seeds pictured. It grows quite straight.

Any help would help !

Image0404.jpg

Sorry can't get image to embed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I know one is a climber but not sure what species and the one with the huge leaf i think is a weed but again not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Dunno, these guys have kind of a twiggy bark, here's a side view:

Image0403.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Looks like a willow to me but I couldn't tell you which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It's a willow - the ordinary wild salix that seeds and spreads everywhere. It has very extensive roots as an older tree so if you intend to get rid of it it's better done sooner rather than later. :)
    If you want to keep all/some of them they can be quite nice with catkins etc but there are nicer trees around.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Rinker wrote: »
    Looks like a willow to me but I couldn't tell you which one.

Agreed it's a willow of some sort, the climber is Virginia creeper, five-leaved ivy, or five-finger (Parthenocissus quinquefolia). the other photo reminds me of one the shrub viburnums... not opulus but with a very similar flower... Photo very blur... Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

thanks every one so i have 5 fingered ivy and a Viburnum plicatum after a quick google..very weird that i didnt plant either of them and they just showed up in the garden. not that i am complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

thanks every one so i have 5 fingered ivy and a Viburnum plicatum after a quick google..very weird that i didnt plant either of them and they just showed up in the garden. not that i am complaining.

Your welcome, you hijacked my thread ;)

Advertisement