Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Site

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey guys
    Just updated my portfolio site! let me know what ya think!
    Cheers
    http://alanpower.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Wow, this has to be the best Portfolio site I've seen in a very long time ! Great work, keep it up !

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Just a tiny suggestion. When I first opened your link I thought I had been directed to a home appliance website (Miele comes to mind; similar colours and my eye was drawn to the word "Modena"). Then there was about 20 seconds of confusion because it's not immediately apparent that it's a design website.

I have a little experience in marketing and advertising and I would suggest that you make your name the most prominate visual on your website and add "graphic designer" to your name. Then your tag line "Clean, Crisp & creative designs" with secondary prominence.

Maybe you could put something above the examples of your work stating thats what it is. I know this may sound like stating the obvious but sometimes people need that especially if they are customers and not from the industry.

Otherwise, it looks "clean, crisp & creative". Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I have to say I thought the same thing when I opened your site first, that the creative power logo looked like it belong to a domestic appliance! But other that that, its a very nice site indeed, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Graeme The Poet

Some beautiful work -well done

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alzer81

i got a facebook page thing goin on if ya wanna like it. i post all my latest work up too it! Al Power's Portfolio | Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

strong design, looks good. You have a definite style which is consistent in your work which is a very good thing.

There is something thats uncanny about the site tho... I feel I've seen something that looked very similar to it before... then i saw this on your facebook page and it gave me crazy dejavu! Its wrecking my head...

Who coded the site? Both coding and design are a great standard!

Hey Red_ice. thanks. I coded and designed both as i did all designs on my portfolio. (bar the bingo site, that was developed out of house). Im not sure where ya have seen the style before. maybe you spotted it on a few css galleries? i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Anythings possible. All I do is looks places for inspiration - sure you know yourself!

Is is static or are you using something like wordpress?

One thing I would suggest is that you sort out your folder permissions! For example hosting files (fonts etc) in certain directories that people can access by however means might have legal ramifications!! Im not sure really if I'm honest, but I thought I'd bring that to your attention ;)

Im sure hosting365's control panel has the capability to let you sort that out with a click or two.

Again, nice work on the site - both codewise and design. Its nice to a see a clean site that works with IE for a change (not that I use it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

My only comment is the same as I had when you previously posted your stuff up. You're getting very good at designing the same type of site very well. The problem is that you're too narrow in the ideas your exploring. It's all the same style though.

Now, that's not to slate your work, it has a high degree of polish, I think you just have enough talent that you need to push yourself out of your comfort zone. You're using a certain style, layouts and fonts as a crutch. Try explore more widely in future designs, and I think you'll be able to hit a higher level than you're at now.

Also, ditch the Ink Red website. It looks like old work and isn't up to the same calibre as the rest of your stuff.

thanks for the comments p. Your right about playing it safe. Recently i have actually been doing alot of just solely psd work so i have not been able to update my site that much. the only stuff i have up is stuff i have designed and built.

I've been workin on just purely design stuff but have been passing it off to a developer and i feel my designs have been kinda wrecked along the way so am a bit hestitant to put it on my portfolio as i dont think the final working site up to scratch. was not sure what way to bring them into my site as im going to be doing alot more just design work from now on as i've moved jobs. was thinkin maybe scrappin the direct link to the sites and just putting in a lightbox with jpg's instead but i dont really want to change the site as i like its simplicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It's always a tough call about that. I like this post on the matter:
    http://www.disambiguity.com/live-design-is-gold/

As a designer, we're need to change our viewpoint, so we don't think we're delivering PSD files, but we're delivering an experience. And if we can deliver PSDs, and then give good feedback, and partners with devs that realise our designs, then we need to figure out what we can change to ensure quality. That's a big challenge, but the person or team that can do that will succeed.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

great portfolio site, smart, clean, simple and exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

Looks awesome. And shows what the client needs to know. A clear CTA line and the portfolio. Oh, offtopic now, I love the 7th Sense site :D

cheers guys. keep an eye on it as i hope to be adding new sites soon. in the meantime you can see all my latest stuff here:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Al-Powers-Portfolio/242612729105448
    Web: http://www.alanpower.net
    Dribbble: http://dribbble.com/alzer81
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alan-power/28/b4b/391

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭DISCOTEKKEN

your use of gradients & lighting effects are to die for!

your use of gradients & lighting effects are to die for!
    I'm not sued they ate to die for haha
    Got a little write up in .Net Magazine this month for my use of colour on the CTA button which was nice to see!

made a few edits to the design, cleaned up the styling on the slides and added a recent work area which pulls in snippets from Dirbbble!

Advertisement