Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Well I gotta say, the Queen has a boring enough life doing all these state visits. Good for her, being rich etc. :pac:

She deserves it for such a tedious job that gets pushed on her from a young age

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

zerks wrote: »
    Oh no, Philip has a hurl.:eek: "One can use one to beat darkies and slant eyes".
    "No Philip-you can't say things like that anymore", "Wanna bet,I've the hurl"

Lol I could almost hear him saying "ehhhh so you hit the wogs with this end then?"

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Anyone else getting the feeling this whole visit is centered around rubbing our independence in her face? Trinity was an old protestant school we nicked back, croker has its stands named after lads killed by british troops, bringing her to cork where Mick Collins was from?
    It just doesn't seem right. It'd be like them getting Enda over to London and showing him where they used to offload all the Irish grub during the famine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

was there any trouble or did dole day put a dent in it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

My parents are years younger than Queenie and hubby ( and have sleep every afternoon)- surely the royals must be due a serious nap after all the nodding and hand shaking at Crokers?
    Yawn, I need a nap just looking at the coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

zerks wrote: »
    Only British peasants.;) They have to bow-we don't.

I'm hoping Philip will come out with some embarrising gaffe.He's overdue one.

I will consider the entire trip a failure if he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Apparently a load of GAA officials stayed away in protest?
    Didn't really look that way, did it? She wouldn't have fitted in the building at all if a load more of them turned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The terms used were "group" and "several" - not "loads".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Have they gone home to Jurassic Park?

was there any trouble or did dole day put a dent in it
    There might be a bit later after they get the tinnies and the drugs into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

Didn't really look that way, did it? She wouldn't have fitted in the building at all if a load more of them turned up.

typical gaa heads. they had no bother putting the hand out for tickets to the rugby/soccer matches when they being played there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

lol's ...that's funny .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Biologic wrote: »
    Anyone else getting the feeling this whole visit is centered around rubbing our independence in her face? Trinity was an old protestant school we nicked back, croker has its stands named after lads killed by british troops, bringing her to cork where Mick Collins was from?
    It just doesn't seem right. It'd be like them getting Enda over to London and showing him where they used to offload all the Irish grub during the famine.
    not to mention bringing her to bow to our "freedom fighters"...I wonder what the 200,000 Irish people who volunteered to fight for / with Britain would make of it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I thought the same. Although the Guinness trip broke it up. I'd hope the focus is more on things that makes Ireland what it is rather than just the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I was listening to the Radio this morning and Myles Dungan was doing the coverage from the War Memorial Gardens. Halfway through the minutes silence he pipes in "we are in the middle of a minutes silence" !!!!:D

Classic Dungan!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Do you reckon they have the radio on in the car when she is going from place to place, and if so radio 1 or Newstalk ? :p

Im bored. But its still the most interested Ive ever been in GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Read elsewhere that most of the reps from Ulster stayed away, only one from Down attended

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    I thought the same. Although the Guinness trip broke it up. I'd hope the focus is more on things that makes Ireland what it is rather than just the past.

Perhaps she'll visit the soup kitchens before she goes back.:(

some of the best pics from news & the boards photography threads

15994338.jpg

15994339.jpg

15994349.jpg

5731577294_c0e68b5275.jpg

5731027745_e8ce84375d.jpg

5731575234_3451343f51.jpg

5731574816_8dcc0d03ec.jpg

5731025921_9fac459eff.jpg

5731025057_90f3c4585c.jpg

5731573322_00953cc65f.jpg

more but were posted yesterday (handy to keep them altogether):

274160_1.jpg?ts=1305658378?ts=1305658378

A00EA7C44491422382F13B5A0BE73C00-0000316428-0002323582-00800L-26397510F17C48EABDC567F47D48FC3E.jpg

22594610150187169103526.jpg

guinness2.jpg

41CFF41E2F9D405BAA2581639FEC3EA7-0000316428-0002323632-00500L-32EFF93D3A4D4EBEA4164E3D1C203E1A.jpg

FE48C678CBB14030A9EE63B474E08E2C-0000316428-0002323564-00500L-EDCB9099CC764FA8A3E73800E722356D.jpg

article-1387612-0C147A7800000578-845_634x410.jpg

Video
    http://www.twitvid.com/U1P8F

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

gigino wrote: »
    not to mention bringing her to bow to our "freedom fighters"...I wonder what the 200,000 Irish people who volunteered to fight for / with Britain would make of it all..

And the War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge is dedicated to the Irishmen who fought in WW1. She laid a wreath

If Ireland is a world leader at one thing it's horse breeding. The trip to the National Stud was a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

only one from Down attended

Forward thinking individual then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No, I don't think it's about rubbing our Independence in her face. I think Mary McAleese has done a sterling job of welcoming her to the Country and being with her every step of the way, and seems to be making every effort to try and make her feel relaxed. Trinity had a union Jack flying over it yesterday and the Aras was bearing a few of them yesterday.

Trinity also showed her a book yesterday that was commissioned by Queen Mary I and which the Queen seemed very impressed with.

At the end of the day it's a State visit as others keep mentioning and that means that as well as showing courtesy to the visiting Head of State, they must also return the same courtesy and visit various places important to the host Country.

Also, more than that, in an effort to move on and take relations between the two countries to a better level, the ghosts of the past needed to be laid to rest and the Queen was well aware of what would be asked of her. She didn't just pop over for a visit and have all this thrown at her, I'm sure all visits were agreed by both governments before the visit was announced.

Yup. I hear day 3 is going to be mostly ghost estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DWCommuter wrote: »
    GAAs Nicky Brennan. Kept holding her arm.

Typical durty GAA man, some habits don't break easy. She's lucky he didn't mulloch into her in the tunnel

Read elsewhere that most of the reps from Ulster stayed away, only one from Down attended
    Fuppin' dinosaurs if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=148138

Not really surprising tbh.

some of the best pics from the photography threads

attractive bunch arent they.

That skanger is throwing a flower at her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Don't really see it that way, Trinity and especially GAA are big parts of our heritage either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement