Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

gigino wrote: »
    not to mention bringing her to bow to our "freedom fighters"...I wonder what the 200,000 Irish people who volunteered to fight for / with Britain would make of it all..

The ones whose memorial she lay a wreath at this morning you mean? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

I can't figure out why they are making the poor women go to the bog ball shed, she would be much better heading to the aviva, nicer stadium and nicer part of town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

That skanger is throwing a flower at her!

That's where Banksy gets his inspiration from

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b90j_7F4hXk/TNt8ynpkuQI/AAAAAAAAAI0/3zR4WTVv4Tw/s1600/banksy-flower-thrower-316-p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Yup. I hear day 3 is going to be mostly ghost estates.

lol lol ...she had said we can keep them all, but should'nt we have spent the borrowed money + all the EEC + EC grants a bit better ?

I can't figure out why they are making the poor women go to the bog ball shed, she would be much better heading to the aviva, nicer stadium and nicer part of town

before she goes we'll ask her can be borrow a few more billion to help finish regenerating Berties constituency ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

gigino wrote: »
    lol lol ...she had said we can keep them all, but should'nt we have spent the borrowed money + all the EEC + EC grants a bit better ?

jesus christ give it a rest. youve been wrong about everything so far, most people would quit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

jesus christ give it a rest. youve been wrong about everything so far, most people would quit

You don't think they've got a bee in their bonnet about something do you :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Probably because croke park has some history to it and is of some cultural significance

unlike the sponsorship stadium and loinstor rogby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

5731575234_3451343f51.jpg

The tallest man in Ireland showing his support. (top right of the picture)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Lapin wrote: »
    Just heard on a radio discussion for the umteenth time this week how the Queen uses her handbag to send code signals to her staff.

I reckon thats all a load of bollox.

Well, I don't know.... I met her two years ago when she was in Hillsborough and we heard a rumour that she wears a re-inforced glove... Makes sense when you think of how many hands she has had to shake today.

Lovely lady by the way. I hope they feel welcome and that the rest of the visit goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigino viewpost.gif
    not to mention bringing her to bow to our "freedom fighters"...I wonder what the 200,000 Irish people who volunteered to fight for / with Britain would make of it all..
    The ones whose memorial she lay a wreath at this morning you mean? :confused:

I also think it's important to the memory of those Irish who did give their lives in WW I to remember that many signed up under the "Irish Volunteers" of John Redmond and did so because they believed they were serving Irish independence - via support for Home Rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Croke park is more apart of our history and sporting culture than Lansdowne Rd is.

Plus the significance of the place and building bridges following the actions of the British Army and the RIC there on Bloody Sunday.

Something that some people are trying to blame the Queen for dispite her not even being born at the time.

Although its possibly suppose to be a sign of reconciliation as her Father the then King would have been Chief of the British Army and probably of the RIC as well.

MarchDub wrote: »
    I also think it's important to the memory of those Irish who did give their lives in WW I to remember that many signed up under the "Irish Volunteers" of John Redmond and did so because they believed they were serving Irish independence - via support for Home Rule.

Yes, we were promised Home Rule in exchange for conscription weren't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If she doesn't address in her speech what her army have done in this island, while she was head of it, I will be very disappointed and angry as the attempted reconciliation will have been all one sided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

irish-stew wrote: »
    Croke park is more apart of our history and sporting culture than Lansdowne Rd is.

Plus the significance of the place and building bridges following the actions of the British Army and the RIC there on Bloody Sunday.
    Pity the Ulster GAA morons had to piss all over it.

They havent had 90 odd years of independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

wonder did she think "one might get the use of the condom iv been carrying in my bag for the last 50 years" when the bauld christy cooney held her arm??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

No, people were encouraged to join up by Redmond and the Home Rule bill was already passed in 1914, but its implementation had been postponed until the end of the war.

Of course by then it was back off the table as not good enough

Was it them who declined the invite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

MarchDub wrote: »
    I think what he's getting at is that the Queen was essentially paying tribute to terrorists who took advantage of a catastrophic war to destabilize the country; how would many of those who fought and died for Home Rule fighting for the UK feel about that, especially as it was coming down the tracks

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    If she doesn't address in her speech what her army have done in this island, while she was head of it, I will be very disappointed and angry as the attempted reconciliation will have been all one sided.
    Just for information, she was never 'head' of the army. She's a symbol. S Y M B O L. She didn't spend her time poring over maps and ordering maneouvres, or deciding tactics. No more than McAleese manages the Irish army.

Why is it that Shinners can't ever seem to tell the difference between symbols and reality? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

irish-stew wrote: »

Something that some people are trying to blame the Queen for dispite her not even being born at the time.

Although its possibly suppose to be a sign of reconciliation as her Father the then King would have been Chief of the British Army and probably of the RIC as well.

Not the RIC the Dublin Met

They havent had 90 odd years of independence.
    They've had the Good Friday agreement for how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

no

As much as we would like her too, I would be surprised if she says it verbally. I can see more of the same gestures and significant signs being carried out, ie, the garden of rememberance yesterday and croke park today.

and in WW2 did'nt 100,000 Irish people join British forces...while DeValera let IRA die in jail

Just for information, she was never 'head' of the army. She's a symbol. S Y M B O L. She didn't spend her time poring over maps and ordering maneouvres, or deciding tactics. No more than McAleese manages the Irish army.

Why is it that Shinners can't ever seem to tell the difference between symbols and reality? :confused:
    No, she spent her time giving them medals and ignoring what those soldiers where doing to people who she claims are her subjects.

If she wants to position herself, and claim to be, a symbolic head of the BA of course she should address the negative things her army have done in her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I'm not expecting an apology at all. She will undoubtedly acknowledge that certain events that took place were unfortunate and wrong but there won't be an apology for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In practice she's not involved in the running of the armed forces but she is most definitely the commander in chief of the british army, there's nothing symbolic about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement