Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

god save the queen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not the RIC the Dublin Met

Where the RIC not invloved then, or in formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

These yobs in the pictures? They're protesting over an elderly couple with no political power, yet they don't seem to have a problem with Brian Cowen, Brian Lenihan and co. (who basically gave Ireland to Germany) it seems. I didn't exactly see these particular dimwits partake in any protests (violent or otherwise) related to the IMF/EU bailouts hence our soverignity gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

No, people were encouraged to join up by Redmond and the Home Rule bill was already passed in 1914, but its implementation had been postponed until the end of the war.

Of course by then it was back off the table as not good enough

Yes - the Home Rule bill of 1914 was so watered down that it was considerably less than Ireland had prior to the Act of Union in 1800. The UK government in Westminster was to have total control over any Dublin parliament. In addition partition was on track as the Ulster Unionists had declared their intention to opt out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I think what he's getting at is that the Queen was essentially paying tribute to terrorists who took advantage of a catastrophic war to destabilize the country; how would many of those who fought and died for Home Rule fighting for the UK feel about that, especially as it was coming down the tracks

Ok lets quit the emotive language as that is not even slightly how things were.

Home rule had been shelved. The catestrophic war was costing 50,000 lives a week so life was fairly cheap at the time. There wasnt complete trust that A) they would implement it after the war
    B) that Britain would win the war (not likely in 1916)
    C) There would even be a Britain at the end of the war
    D) Anyone would be left alive at the end of the war

Terrible times lead to terrible actions, calling armed, uniformed volunteers terrorists is lazy and inaccurate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Bambi wrote: »
    In practice she's not involved in the running of the armed forces but she is most definitely the commander in chief of the british army, there's nothing symbolic about it

It's a symbolic title. She has absolutely nothing to do with the army in reality. It's completely symbolic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    No, she spent her time giving them medals and ignoring what those soldiers where doing to people who she claims are her subjects.
    She does what she is told by the government. Seriously, can you not understand this? Because I'm sick and tired of trying to explain it to you. She doesn't pore over reports of skirmishes and decide who deserves what. She is given a bunch of medals and told who to hand them to.

S H E I S A S Y M B O L I C L E A D E R

Please tell me if you just can't understand and I'll stop trying to explain it.
    If she wants to position herself, and claim to be, a symbolic head of the BA of course she should address the negative things her army have done in her name.
    She did not 'position herself' - she was walked into it. She had no choice due to an accident of birth. She never applied for the job, and she could never leave it by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

gigino wrote: »
    and in WW2 did'nt 100,000 Irish people join British forces...while DeValera let IRA die in jail

Even better, Dev hung a couple , always a great way to get relected down south

Bambi wrote: »
    In practice she's not involved in the running of the armed forces but she is most definitely the commander in chief of the british army, there's nothing symbolic about it
    Give us an idea of some of the stuff she does so, in her role as head of the army? Stuff that isn't symbolic, titular or rubber stamping the decisions of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I think what he's getting at is that the Queen was essentially paying tribute to terrorists who took advantage of a catastrophic war to destabilize the country; how would many of those who fought and died for Home Rule fighting for the UK feel about that, especially as it was coming down the tracks

yeah, but in the end we got a republic (well 26 of us) woohoo...go the freedom fighters for not settling for second best :D

• Advertisement

No, she spent her time giving them medals and ignoring what those soldiers where doing to people who she claims are her subjects.

If she wants to position herself, and claim to be, a symbolic head of the BA of course she should address the negative things her army have done in her name.

Then she should apoligise in the six counties, not down here

irish-stew wrote: »
    Where the RIC not invloved then, or in formation?

Me bad the Auxilarys were there, and they were part of the RIC, not the Met

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

That skanger is throwing a flower at her!

Was probably throwing it at his mother because he didn't want to go in for his supper, a skanger indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

She does what she is told by the government. Seriously, can you not understand this? Because I'm sick and tired of trying to explain it to you. She doesn't pore over reports of skirmishes and decide who deserves what. She is given a bunch of medals and told who to hand them to.

S H E I S A S Y M B O L I C L E A D E R

Please tell me if you just can't understand and I'll stop trying to explain it.

She did not 'position herself' - she was walked into it. She had no choice due to an accident of birth. She never applied for the job, and she could never leave it by choice.
    Must have imagined that monarchs can abdicate.

A symbolic apology in the name of healing wounds would be good wouldn't it?

If she is as useless and unimportant as you claim, whats the point of the visit? I thought she was head of state and commander in chief? Those positions are real and carry a weight and as such an apology would too. She presided over the troubles, an apolog for British barbarity would be welcome.

If she is as useless and unimportant as you claim, whats the point of the visit? I thought she was head of state and commander in chief? Those positions are real and carry a weight and as such an apology would too. She presided over the troubles, an apolog for British barbarity would be welcome.

pre·side/priˈzīd/Verb
    1. Be in the position of authority in a meeting or gathering: "Bishop Herbener presided at the meeting".
    2. Be in charge of (a place or situation).

she wasnt in charge and had no authority to act. My ma had more responsiblity than she did so on behalf of my ma I appologise. Is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

bridget84 wrote: »
    These yobs in the pictures? They're protesting over an elderly couple with no political power, yet they don't seem to have a problem with Brian Cowen, Brian Lenihan and co. (who basically gave Ireland to Germany) it seems. I didn't exactly see these particular dimwits partake in any protests (violent or otherwise) related to the IMF/EU bailouts hence our soverignity gone.

The queen has the following foreign affairs powers.

The making of treaties;
    Declaration of war;
    Deployment of armed forces overseas;
    Recognition of foreign states;
    Accreditation and reception of diplomats.

And there was protests from the people you deem dimwits during the end of FF's stay in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

gigino wrote: »
    Each time they send over 7 billion , to save our skin, we do not riot at that though ?

Personally, I have no problem with the British government keeping thier £7 billion so-called "Bailout" money.
    Britain convieniently fails to mention that if they don't give it, they'll have to pay it to their own banks anyway - along with another £130 odd Billion exposure that UK banks have in Ireland that goes down the drain with it - and with no prospect of getting paid any back, never mind getting paid back with interest.

I'll only address this once on this thread coz it's going off on a mad tangent......But quit the sanctimonious drivel and the pretense that the British government (or any of the others) are just out to help us!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

smokedeels wrote: »
    The tallest man in Ireland showing his support. (top right of the picture)

I thought it was Ross Kemp wondering whether to do a Dublin gangs programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

pre·side/priˈzīd/Verb
    1. Be in the position of authority in a meeting or gathering: "Bishop Herbener presided at the meeting".
    2. Be in charge of (a place or situation).

she wasnt in charge and had no authority to act. My ma had more responsiblity than she did so on behalf of my ma I appologise. Is that enough?

The Nazi's weren't around either when Germany apologized for any crimes committed under them. Guess your ma had the same amount of responsibility to apologize for them too by your logic.

They can. How do you think she got landed with the job? But perhaps some people have a sense of duty to their country? And I'll guarantee you one thing - she was involved in far fewer murders of Irish people than Gerry Adams was.
    Yeah, and IRA murderers like the guys who butchered Jerry McCabe should never have been let out of prison. You don't always get what you want, or what's right, do you?
    SHE IS A F****** SYMBOL. Holy god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cameron's apology not good enough then?

Somehow, I suspect nothing ever will for some. If we'd an United Ireland in the morning some would still be going on about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The making of treaties;
    Declaration of war;

And if she tried to using any of those powers without the backing of the PM she will find herself in a nice flat on the 8th floor of Nelson Mandela towers

The making of treaties;
    Declaration of war;
    She must be a busy woman with a busy office, running all that lot! Oh no wait, SHE'S JUST A SYMBOL. Go back to Wikipedia and look up 'rubber stamp'.

And there was protests from the people you deem dimwits during the end of FF's stay in power.
    Proof that the are dimwits. They needed to protest against (and stop voting for) Fianna Failure about 8 years earlier. No point in protesting when the car is already after heading off the cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe Wolfe Tone is demanding a sackcloth and ashes apology

Well well, where have I heard that phrase before? ;)

The Nazi's weren't around either when Germany apologized for any crimes committed under them. Guess your ma had the same amount of responsibility to apologize for them too by your logic.

I honestly think you people wont be happy untill she pops out her teeth and gives gerry adams a blowie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think Prince Philip is priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Home rule had been shelved.

postponed till after the war /= shelved
    Home rule had been shelved. The catestrophic war was costing 50,000 lives a week so life was fairly cheap at the time.
    yeah, the war was basically a cannon fodder fest
    There wasnt complete trust that A) they would implement it after the war
    the Irish seats were crucial to any government
    It would have to happen if the Irish people wanted it within reason
    B) that Britain would win the war (not likely in 1916)
    C) There would even be a Britain at the end of the war
    they were scared of Ireland been given to the Central Powers (who they were getting help from?)

Terrible times lead to terrible actions, calling armed, uniformed volunteers terrorists is lazy and inaccurate

So what were they?
    They had a vote, and were getting a reasonable amount of self rule

They represented a tiny minority, were uniformed, and armed just like today's terrorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think Prince Philip is priceless

I'd love to go on the lash with him! I'd say he'd be great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

K-9 wrote: »
    Cameron's apology not good enough then?

Somehow, I suspect nothing ever will for some. If we'd an United Ireland in the morning some would still be going on about it.
    Bloody Sunday was the only incident?

• Advertisement

Bloody Sunday was the only incident?
    There was pain on all sides...blah blah trite shinner hogwash...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement