Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Can someone please explain why the Union Flag is being flow at Leinster House? Has Edna handed the reigns over to Liz?
    They normally fly the flag of any visiting heads of state. You will see the american flag flying when Obama visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DDC1990 wrote: »
    One thing that bothers me though is the sheer hypocricy of some of the posters here.

You tell Republican posters that they need to move on and times have changed, while throwing in jibes of "Shinners", "Terrorists" etc. Maybe you yourselves should move on and accept that not everyone in the country that has a republican outlook is a terrorist. Also Sinn Féin is a politcal party, NOT a terrorist organization. The muppets burning the flag and throwing things at the Gárdaí were not representives of Sinn Féin (outwardly at least). They were common thugs. Sinn Féin protested quietly and let off 900 Baloons to symbolise the deaths during Ireland's struggle for Independance.

So stop being hypocrits, Move On and look at Sinn Féin as a political party, and maybe they might move on and accept Ireland as it is now.

I don't think SF have been getting a hard time. Only the lumpheads in soccer jerseys who frankly are an embarrassment to Irish Republicanism whatever one thinks of it. I posed this question on page one, no one answered so I'll ask it again if you are a SF voter -

Are you comfortable with a rabble of football soccer jersey/hoodie wearing, coke and smack heads, many of whom are "known to the Gardai" respresenting your idelogy in the media so far? Should SF have been more active in these protests rather than leaving it to a mix of zealots and scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think the Queen doesn't have much character really, just always smiling and waving.
    However Prince Philip is stealing the show. Everywhere he goes he's having bant with people. Did anyone see him having to be almost dragged away from the Pint of Guinness. A character I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Can someone please explain why the Union Flag is being flow at Leinster House? Has Edna handed the reigns over to Liz?

Do you mean this?

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/union-jack-flies-over-government-buildings-to-show-shes-almost-here-137811-May2011/

That's the Merrion Hotel not Leinster House.

Will you posting and complaining about the Stars & Stripes as well?

Laois_Man wrote: »
    When the head of state of say, Brazil, visits Government buildings, do they fly the Brazilian flag in the same way?

It's a genuine question. I actually have no idea.

They do

• Advertisement

Eirrgi just look like a bunch of junkies that have nothing better to do.

Today would of been quieter in town as its dole day.

As for Sinn Fein i can understand Gerry Adams having a problem with the queen. I can honestly say i don't want the six counties back- the ROI couldnt afford to support them. A united Ireland is a dream IMO.

I don't believe anyone wants the six counties back. Living in England I can tell you there is appetite for them over here either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Move On and look at Sinn Féin as a political party, and maybe they might move on and accept Ireland as it is now.

Sinn Fein are the tabloid newspaper of political parties. All sweeping populist statements and no actual policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't think SF have been getting a hard time. Only the lumpheads in soccer jerseys who frankly are an embarrassment to Irish Republicanism whatever one thinks of it. I posed this question on page one, no one answered so I'll ask it again if you are a SF voter -

Are you comfortable with a rabble of football soccer jersey/hoodie wearing, coke and smack heads, many of whom are "known to the Gardai" respresenting your idelogy in the media so far? Should SF have been more active in these protests rather than leaving it to a mix of zealots and scumbags?

These aren't SF supporters, they are no SF organised protests of that type, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just in reference to Sinn Féin getting a hard time, I could go through this thread and find 100 examples of the crowd Rioting being referred to as Shinners, or "Look Gerry and his crew at it again".
    Refering any violance against authority as Sinn Féin's doing is just narrow minded and a sad reflection on the views of some people in Ireland.

However just as sad are those people who attack our unarmed Gárdaí, to "Have a crack at the Queen" or whatever their motive is. If you have a point be inventive and put your point across peacefully (a la Sinn Féin). Forgive me im coming across as a Sinn Féin spokesperson, but its just a serious case of Pot calling the Kettle black. Or am I wrong? Should people always associate Sinn Féin with the Troubles, yet expect others to move on and not be hurt by the attrocities against Irishmen and Women, caused by Britain?

As for your question: No, of course not. Would anyone bar the BNP like to have that crowd representing their point of view?

I dont really have much of an opinion on the Queens visit to be honest, except to say that I think it is good to move on, but maybe the visit is a little too early. However, It seems to be in the same vain as a bandage, just rip it off and hopefully it'll be ok.

One thing that bothers me though is the sheer hypocricy of some of the posters here.
    You tell Republican posters that they need to move on and times have changed, while throwing in jibes of "Shinners", "Terrorists" etc. Maybe you yourselves should move on and accept that not everyone in the country that has a republican outlook is a terrorist. Also Sinn Féin is a politcal party, NOT a terrorist organization. The muppets burning the flag and throwing things at the Gárdaí were not representives of Sinn Féin (outwardly at least). They were common thugs. Sinn Féin protested quietly and let off 900 Baloons to symbolise the deaths during Ireland's struggle for Independance.

So stop being hypocrits, Move On and look at Sinn Féin as a political party, and maybe they might move on and accept Ireland as it is now.

I just wish some of this 'republican' energy was thrown into properly recognising and protecting the heritage fabric of the rising. This is the current state of 16 Moore Street:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/echidna/4026111807/

You would be suprised how many of those with 'republican outlook' couldn't give a damn about this important site in the nation's history. We couldn't persuade any of them to show up at the Oral Hearing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

I simply don't understand why rte is giving it so much coverage, i'd rather watch paint dry. At least there's no pictures of "irish" people waving union jacks. As for SF not attending, i would have thought that other political parties would be busy trying to fix the country rather than grovelling to some old bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

They do

It's no problem then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Does anybody else hope someone trips or do something so this can become remotely interesting?

You are actually watching it, ha ha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

How the fcuk is that Bertie bastard getting invited for the spuds tonight, any trouble on the streets should be over him, the dirty smug fat hateful horrible cont.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

I think the Queen doesn't have much character really, just always smiling and waving.
    However Prince Philip is stealing the show. Everywhere he goes he's having bant with people. Did anyone see him having to be almost dragged away from the Pint of Guinness. A character I'd say.

some lad to go on the lash with. i could tell all the racist jokes i wanted and he wouldnt bat an eyelid.he'd probably have better jokes! he wouldnt put his head down ignoring me or walk off and leave me when im being politically uncorrect, OH NO!!!!!! philly would be right there with me roaring laughing as the people with slanty eyes walk past. slainte philly!!:D

Bertie bastard getting invited to the spuds tonight

No way!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

SF have not been involved in any of these protests. The groups involved have all been anti gfa ones.

SFs protests have all been very dignified, peaceful affairs. The protesters you have seen pictures of throwing things etc are nothing to do with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Surprised Phil didnt even taste the pint, thought he would have necked it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have a suspicion that they do.

Some lads on here would prefer if she was in a Confession Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Each day SF appear to be scoring more own goals, and their cynical spin of 'organised events' and not protests isn't fooling anyone. In fact, I bet they will regret the damage done to their cause by their behaviour and lack of participation in official events.

Instead we the media focussing on rabble spouting republican Yobbos. Since when was it republican to cause embarassment to the image of Ireland? If SF were sincere they would have ensured that republicanism was manifested in a more positive fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

im a republican but i dont support sinn fein. they are a protest party. they protest against everything. what they were promising in the election was hilarious, sure they were only saying those things because they knew nobody would go into government with them and therefore their proposals wouldnt be enforced.

You really live up to your username ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Sky News are live from Dublin Castle now. Protest kicking off again. Nothing serious yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    SF have not been involved in any of these protests. The groups involved have all been anti gfa ones.

SFs protests have all been very dignified, peaceful affairs. The protesters you have seen pictures of throwing things etc are nothing to do with SF.

Well spotted, and thats my point. Shouldn't SF have taken a lead rather leave it to the skanger element? Or are SF now too far away from the "trackie" elements to protest with any street credibility while not being close enough to mainstream politics to participate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Scum on the streets of Dublin, live on sky news. Here come the riot police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Limerick3

Well I hope all the politicians and celebrities enjoyed spending the 20/30 million it cost the taxpayer to bring her over.

Each day SF appear to be scoring more own goals, and their cynical spin of 'organised events' and not protests isn't fooling anyone. In fact, I bet they will regret the damage done to their cause by their behaviour and lack of participation in official events. .

Theres been no behaviour by or on behalf of the party that would cause embarrasment.
    Instead we the media focussing on rabble spouting republican Yobbos. Since when was it republican to cause embarassment to the image of Ireland? If SF were sincere they would have ensured that republicanism was manifested in a more positive fashion.

One of the more clueless statements.

'Instead we the media focussing on rabble spouting Dublin Yobbos. Since when was it 'Dub' to cause embarassment to the image of Ireland? If Dubliners were sincere they would have ensured that Dublin was manifested in a more positive fashion'

...is much the same logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

bryaner wrote: »
    How the fcuk is that Bertie bastard getting invited for the spuds tonight, any trouble on the streets should be over him, the dirty smug fat hateful horrible cont.:mad:

I hope he chokes on his Rib of Slaney Valley Beef.. or at least suffer from a dose of the squits

Well spotted, and thats my point. Shouldn't SF have taken a lead rather leave it to the skanger element? Or are SF now too far away from the "trackie" elements to protest with any street credibility while not being close enough to mainstream politics to participate?

...take a lead in what? These protests are organised by two distinct and different organisations with whom there is little love lost....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

There heading for Dublin castle and the sound of bangers are echoing around Dublin City Centre.Where the hell did they get hold of the fireworks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

SF were invited to various things, they refused to go and are voicing their objections very peacefully, releasing balloons, holding vigils etc.
    SINN FÉIN PRESIDENT Gerry Adams has appealed to the Taoiseach to respect his right, and the right of members of Sinn Féin, not to attend events being held during the Queen’s Visit.
    Speaking in the Dáil this afternoon – during a Taoiseach’s Question on the sale of state assets – Adams rose to his feet in frustration at what he saw as underhand remarks being made by the Taoiseach.
    “The Taoiseach has mentioned twice my non-attendance at events involving the Queen of England,” Adams said.
    “And while I respect his right to attend, and the president’s right to invite the Queen of England, let me make it clear that I also have the right not to attend.
    “While I represent a constituency from this State, I am from the North. Mayo is no longer under the control of the English crown. Where I come from, is – even in a conditional way under the dispensation that we have carved out.
    “The Taoiseach needs to remember that there are people in the North… who are watching every single comma, every single dot, in the parlance.”
    Adams added that he believed and hoped that good would come of the Queen’s visit, but appealed to Kenny to “respect my right as a democratic republican” not to attend such events.
    Kenny did not immediately respond to Adams’ remarks.
    Adams was speaking after the Queen laid a wreath at Islandbridge, at an event that was attended by senior figures from the Democratic Unionist Party, the SDLP, the Ulster Unionists and from the Alliance Party.

Im amazed Mike, people are never happy. By all accounts SF have gone about this the right way.

The skangers etc probably aren't even republicans. Why should SF be in any way responsible? They are nothing to do with SF.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement